Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 11:44 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,591,034 times

Advertisements

The natural earth/ocean shades are nice for anything near the water.

sage green is light , but not too bright
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 05:46 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgal View Post
I think beige , khaki(goes good with red usually) or a deep yellow might go well just narrowing it down to which color SW Nomadic dessert or SW Jersey cream or even Latte might be interesting. Lots of light during the day but it might be too dark at night.
Of the two, I like Nomadic Dessert better. The Jersey Cream has too much pink in it. I don't think Nomadic Dessert will be too dark. It's certainly not darker than the current red.

After you paint the main areas a neutral color, definitely paint the bedrooms pale greens, blues and yellows. The furniture in those rooms will look beautiful with beachy colors.

Quote:
I agree the green is risky but initially I though a golden green or avocado type green might not look Christmasy. There is a gold fleck in the red sofas...
Don't do any shade of green. You will lose rentals because people going to the beach aren't thinking Christmas. And the whole green/red decorating is decades out of style too.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:29 AM

2,119 posts, read 4,167,686 times
I should mention the bedrooms have been painted pale greens & blues. Nothing dramatic. It is hard to detect in the pictures but it is there just isn't picked up in the pics for some reason. Wonder how Kilim beige would look? I know that whole strip is very neutral so I will have to see how it goes with the ceiling being so amber colored.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:33 AM

2,119 posts, read 4,167,686 times
Should mention that the pics don't pick it up but the bedrooms are painted a pale shade of green in some pale blue in others. You can see it in some if you look at where the wall meets the white trim. The camera for whatever reason doesn't pick it up but it is there!

Old 05-15-2012, 10:47 AM

293 posts, read 886,319 times
it's an investment property and looks to be in great shape - assuming you rent and get what you're asking, I wouldn't change a thing. Why take that income out of your pocket? You aren't living there. And for what it's worth, I think the red walls are beautiful. Yes, it would be great to have the couches in some other color, but whatever - if the place rents like crazy as you said, then they all can live with the couch color.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:02 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
The red seems to be only in living/dining room combination. Bedrooms are beige.
I would leave it for now.
I would leave it be for now, too.
It aint broke, you know?

Old 05-15-2012, 07:32 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
Quote:
If the ceiling wasn't a golden brown I would consider beige or latte on the walls but it might make the ceiling & walls melt into one. I get that the designer wanted the black furniture to look dramatic with the red walls. Definitely not traditional beach house with pastels..She went for a West Indies look which can be bold. I was hoping someone who has had red walls in their home on a large area would tell me what they put on walls next to it !
I think the red walls are dramatic, and as a rental it is exciting for a week or two to live there. But if the color is true in your pictures, the red walls clash with the wood tones of the ceiling. There is a brown chair in the room, and white trim. If you paint the walls too light, you won't pick up the gorgeous woodwork, so don't use a color too akin to the light tones of the woodworks, which are stunning.

I'd choose a tone from the ceiling and lighten it up. You can have a paint color mixed lighter, so if you chose a golden tone, you could choose a very light gold, that perhaps reads as parchment color. Hold paint chips to the various elements in the room to make sure the color looks good. You might have to work to find the right color.

Hiding that red will be difficult. You'll need a primer and perhaps a couple of coats. Be sure to get advice from a paint pro.

Good luck.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:00 AM

935 posts, read 3,446,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Don't do any shade of green. You will lose rentals because people going to the beach aren't thinking Christmas. And the whole green/red decorating is decades out of style too.
I think there is a danger in labeling colors as "out-of-date" or expired. Color is an amazing, rich, wonderful world of infinite options. I hate to see anyone limit their range of creativity.

Green need not be associated with Christmas. Certain shades of red and green certainly are related to the holiday; but there are many shades of red and green. The color spectrum is full of various hues, luminosity, shades, tints and tones. You can change the feeling of a space dramatically just by making a single color warm or cool. An warm, muted olive-green and a moderate cool red combine to make a classic French Country style. Deep forest greens and cool maroon's become a wonderful English country palette that has been popular for centuries.

I don't believe there is such a thing is "out of date" colors. There are color predictions made by marketing companies which are used by textile manufacturers and fashion designers, including interior textile designers such as drapery companies, wallpaper and paint, etc... Color prediction is a fairly complex social science that includes both forecasting colors and driving color choices by consumers. People in different socioeconomic and geographic locations are drawn to certain colors. The wealthy are drawn to more complex colors and darker palettes, and lower middle class groups are drawn to brighter colors. Your level of education and the type of work you do also has an impact on what types of colors you will like.

What I see over and over on this site is one person taking their personal preferences and applying those preferences as gospel to others, and I think that is not the best approach. Here are a couple examples of reds and greens, that when done well, combine into a timeless palette and will last for as long as the owner finds them appealing.

Houston Estate - eclectic - dining room - minneapolis - by Riehl Designs, Inc.

Lake House - contemporary - living room - burlington - by Smith & Vansant Architects PC

Attached Thumbnails
NEED HELP! with this rental property-49872_0_4-0087-eclectic-dining-room.jpg  

Old 05-16-2012, 07:10 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWayISeeThings View Post
I think there is a danger in labeling colors as "out-of-date" or expired. Color is an amazing, rich, wonderful world of infinite options. I hate to see anyone limit their range of creativity.

Green need not be associated with Christmas. Certain shades of red and green certainly are related to the holiday; but there are many shades of red and green. The color spectrum is full of various hues, luminosity, shades, tints and tones. You can change the feeling of a space dramatically just by making a single color warm or cool. An warm, muted olive-green and a moderate cool red combine to make a classic French Country style. Deep forest greens and cool maroon's become a wonderful English country palette that has been popular for centuries.

I don't believe there is such a thing is "out of date" colors. There are color predictions made by marketing companies which are used by textile manufacturers and fashion designers, including interior textile designers such as drapery companies, wallpaper and paint, etc... Color prediction is a fairly complex social science that includes both forecasting colors and driving color choices by consumers. People in different socioeconomic and geographic locations are drawn to certain colors. The wealthy are drawn to more complex colors and darker palettes, and lower middle class groups are drawn to brighter colors. Your level of education and the type of work you do also has an impact on what types of colors you will like.

What I see over and over on this site is one person taking their personal preferences and applying those preferences as gospel to others, and I think that is not the best approach. Here are a couple examples of reds and greens, that when done well, combine into a timeless palette and will last for as long as the owner finds them appealing.

Houston Estate - eclectic - dining room - minneapolis - by Riehl Designs, Inc.

Lake House - contemporary - living room - burlington - by Smith & Vansant Architects PC
Glad you posted this, I just read it, and was about to reply, but you've said it all, and quite well!

Old 05-16-2012, 08:16 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Different shads of red and green don't look Christmasy. But her sofas are definitely Christmas red. As a result, she does risk it looking Christmasy if she goes with green.

Quote:
What I see over and over on this site is one person taking their personal preferences and applying those preferences as gospel to others, and I think that is not the best approach.
You included. We're all here giving our opinions. One person's opinion doesn't have more weight than another person's opinion. Your posts don't sound less gospel than mine or anyone elses.

Quote:
Here are a couple examples of reds and greens, that when done well, combine into a timeless palette and will last for as long as the owner finds them appealing.
That color scheme was way overdone in my region for way too long. Around my area, that is considered dated. Since the OP's place is a vacation destination, it needs to appeal to people from the most regions of the country, especially the regions most likely to vacation where her rental is located. As a result, my opinion is just as relevant as yours. It's for the OP to decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating