Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2012, 06:41 PM

54 posts, read 208,992 times

Advertisements

Just bought a new house that was designed with the attic set up for future finishing as an apartment (real stairway to it, plumbing & electrical stubbed out, subfloor installed, etc). I'm looking for some advice on how best to lay out the apartment. We're thinking 1 bedroom, open floorplan for the kitchen & living area.

In the attached photos, there is a raised section in the floor. That's the coffered ceiling of the master bedroom below, and it will be removed to give a flat floor again. The air handlers and water heater will be relocated as well. Also the landing at the top of the stairs will be mostly removed to give more room in the apartment.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2012, 10:10 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
Let's start with-
Anything is possible, all it takes is money!

Can't decipher anything from the plan and pics because you didn't reference anything.
If the plan showed where the mechanicals, trey ceiling, and the stubs for the bath it might be a bit easier to "plan".
The biggest problem I see right off the bat, there is no egress compliant window(s). And lack of windows in general; meaning, if you want this to be a "live-able" apartment you're probably looking at adding a dormer. So, I'd probably use the term "set-up for an apartment" loosely.
And you'd be surprised at what you can get out of small spaces with careful planning. And still keep code compliant.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Let's start with-
Anything is possible, all it takes is money!

Can't decipher anything from the plan and pics because you didn't reference anything.
If the plan showed where the mechanicals, trey ceiling, and the stubs for the bath it might be a bit easier to "plan".
The biggest problem I see right off the bat, there is no egress compliant window(s). And lack of windows in general; meaning, if you want this to be a "live-able" apartment you're probably looking at adding a dormer. So, I'd probably use the term "set-up for an apartment" loosely.
And you'd be surprised at what you can get out of small spaces with careful planning. And still keep code compliant.
The mechanicals and ceiling are not shown on any of the plans. The ceiling was added by the builder and not drawn by the architect. We're already planning on adding windows etc. This won't be a hack job, it will be done right, even though that will involve some structural modifications. If you look at the plan, it's pretty obvious what the pictures are looking at based on the existing structure that you can see, but i'll go ahead and mark where each picture is looking.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:27 AM

Numbered in order as they appear in the first post. Plumbing is circled.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:38 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,246,172 times
Basic layout would be bedroom in smaller area (of course) with bathroom & closet on side coming out from tiny window nook and heading towards stairs, with door to bedroom across from that same window, and the rest of bedroom walled off from "living and kitchen." Kitchen would be on that same wall out from the nook window, but of course on the other side of the stairs, add an island if there's room. Seating would have to be done in living area according to what wall the TV might go on.

Obviously make sure the floor joists can handle the load, might have to sister some boards to existing. Subfloor that's there won't work, has to be larger same-sized and -thickness plywood type stuff. And naturally put kneewalls where pitched roof comes down to floor, plus it provides convenient storage. You may even have to put a small balcony off the living room window, as per Knowledge's egress points.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigimac View Post
Basic layout would be bedroom in smaller area (of course) with bathroom & closet on side coming out from tiny window nook and heading towards stairs, with door to bedroom across from that same window, and the rest of bedroom walled off from "living and kitchen." Kitchen would be on that same wall out from the nook window, but of course on the other side of the stairs, add an island if there's room. Seating would have to be done in living area according to what wall the TV might go on.

Obviously make sure the floor joists can handle the load, might have to sister some boards to existing. Subfloor that's there won't work, has to be larger same-sized and -thickness plywood type stuff. And naturally put kneewalls where pitched roof comes down to floor, plus it provides convenient storage. You may even have to put a small balcony off the living room window, as per Knowledge's egress points.
Excellent suggestions, and along the lines of what we were thinking. As for the windows off the living room, we are actually considering changing the roof line to allow a full porch there. (the second and first story porches are below there already) While a bit of work, that would solve the egress issues and greatly improve the atmosphere of the room.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:31 AM

18,473 posts, read 31,643,914 times
Are those hot water and heating tanks up there?
If they make any kind of noise at all they will be annoying to the tenant.ie: motor kicking on. etc.

Also, an attic apartment in the summertime will be like a furnace, not everyone will want to live in an attic.

Are there enough windows for light and ventilation, soundproofing so YOU dont hear footsteps.

I am not a ( sorry about the HGTV phrase ) "big fan" of ( yikes, I said it) tenants living ABOVE the LL, never seems like a good idea,

just some food for thought.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:01 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
I have seen some houses for which an income producing (or even inlaw / related living) apartment is an easy add-on. In general the thought of attempting to relocate ductwork, plumbing, water heaters is just a complete NON-STARTER in my mind. As others have said "with enough money you can do anything", but honestly that raises the COST of this into the MULTI-HUNDREDS of dollars per sq ft region and unless you can rent like downtown Manhattan NY I say "don't bother".

Further when I think of the what is going to the room(s) where you "un-do" the tray ceiling I can't help but think you would be WAY AHEAD just selling this house and finding something that better fits your needs.

Looks to the builder was MAYBE thinking of setting up the space for a "rec room" or home theatre space, and the plumbing is so that you can get a cool beer while watching the big screen, and not have to run down stairs if you have too many... MORE LIKELY it was just STORAGE, and I can almost guarantee that if there is planning / zoning process in your area you are gonna run into a ugly mess trying to ANYTHING other than storage space approved. It would almost certainly require some major time with an architect to turn this into a fully compliant bedroom with a fully functioning kitchne and full bath. What a local restriction for multi-family housing? In my neck of the woods the additional restrictions for everything from to direct outside egress to additional parking to more stringent inspections just about makes an income producing apartment attached to single family homes impossible and frankly that is appealing to people in the community I live in. If you really wanted to be in the "tenant living under my roof" side of the landlord business I think you bought the wrong house...

Old 06-04-2012, 11:37 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,246,172 times
^^^ yes, indeed, even tho, JKNIGHT, you said you were gonna do it up right. My first thought, aside from my interest in home layout and decor, is looks like that attic would make a better mancave or retreat or older teen sleeping and hangout space than anything else, just as MR. CHET has explained, and leave all the wierd stuff alone, over in the bigger area. You'd almost be better off using the billions of dollars to instead buy a shack down the street to rent out, if indeed you are desirous of making a rentable space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating