Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2012, 10:05 AM

659 posts, read 1,014,910 times

Advertisements

My Dad gave me 10k for a media room in the basement. I have goggled to get some ideas and some look nice but they could be over 50k! As much as I would like something that fancy, it's just not in my budget.

I dont like it where there is just a long couch and a giant TV for media room. I prefer more the theater setting with a snack bar. I also have no idea what colour to paint the walls, I have seen deep red, black or golden yellow and even carpeted walls. I think the ceilings that look like stars is pretty cool as well.

I have a 4 and a 6 year old so I also wanted something fun for them and their friends. So I was thinking maybe some back lit Disney movie posters on the wall. Gosh I don't know.

If you had 10k, how would you build a media room?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 10:50 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
I could easily spend that just on equipment- and not bat an eye!
But there are also differences in "media rooms" and "theater rooms". And with little ones you probably need something more "multi-functional"- Family, study, craft, play, TV, movie, type room.
So, depending on the size of the room and how many extra "functions" you want to incorporate $10k could probably fit the bill- but more than likely, not.

Here's a website about theater "stuff". Check the links at the bottom of the page-

Home Page | Home Theater

Old 08-17-2012, 12:22 PM

659 posts, read 1,014,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
I could easily spend that just on equipment- and not bat an eye!
But there are also differences in "media rooms" and "theater rooms". And with little ones you probably need something more "multi-functional"- Family, study, craft, play, TV, movie, type room.
So, depending on the size of the room and how many extra "functions" you want to incorporate $10k could probably fit the bill- but more than likely, not.

Here's a website about theater "stuff". Check the links at the bottom of the page-

Home Page | Home Theater

ok I should clarify that my husband is buying all the equipment, I am just talking about chairs and design.

You're right about media vs theater and thats what I want is a theater room. They already ave a play room, but I m sure they will play downstairs as well... they play everywhere! I just wanted a fun place for kids to hang out.

Old 08-17-2012, 03:41 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Default Hundreds of variations...

I am sure some of these looks were done by high priced designers but with some creativity and careful shopping anyone could pull off a good media room well under $10k for furnishings. Here are literally HUNDREDS of inspirations -- Media Room Couch Design, Pictures, Remodel, Decor and Ideas - page 5

Old 08-17-2012, 09:01 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ming Ming View Post
...thats what I want is a theater room.
Professional and personal opinion-
Waste of money. Whatever you put into it you won't get back. True theater rooms are pretty much like pools- lots of $$$ to put in; but very low return value.
The multi-functional rooms are a much bigger bang for the $$$.

Old 08-18-2012, 01:32 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Default Agreed, and just like a pool the reason smart buyers balk...

...is always about the downsides. A pool uses a HUGE amount of water, is a negative for families with really young children, ends up forcing you to be the "host with most" when family / neighbors want a place to go when conditions are right, and needs ongoing maintenance.

A true dedicated home theatre swallows up boatloads of expensive materials, needs specialized cooling / heating , makes you the defecto host of Super Bowl parties forever, is susceptible to being "out of date" as technology changes necessitating big investments in new gear and attracts all the least supervisored kids to your house...

A nicely finished space that can be used for ANY kind of family room or entertaining and STILL serve as a nice place to watch a movie or special event on TV is much wiser way to envision this sort of space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Professional and personal opinion-
Waste of money. Whatever you put into it you won't get back. True theater rooms are pretty much like pools- lots of $$$ to put in; but very low return value.
The multi-functional rooms are a much bigger bang for the $$$.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating