Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 02:01 AM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times

Advertisements

What looks authentic and what is interesting but not necessarily authentic"

In the living room and sun room, there are three windows in a row with 6 panes on the top. There is wood trim. Original moldings.

We need a little privacy but I don't want to cover those gorgeous windows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 07:39 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
I would do something like this that you can roll up all the way during the day:

http://parkersimsinteriors.com/blog/...treatments.jpg

A long panel on each end could add color and texture but stay out of the way of the window casings.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:44 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
What looks authentic and what is interesting but not necessarily authentic"

In the living room and sun room, there are three windows in a row with 6 panes on the top. There is wood trim. Original moldings.

We need a little privacy but I don't want to cover those gorgeous windows.

Is it the home you recently showed photos of? If you don't mind I'll ask Mrs. J, my neighbor/good friend/landlord what window coverings were used in the home I live in. It is not a Sears home but it is one of the other homes like that, built well before Sears homes came out I believe. I can ask though if you want. This is the home she grew up in, her parents lived here and her grandparents lived here as well and she is currently 62 I believe. She has lived on the same property since she was born except for the 4 years of college and the 10 - 12 months after she got married.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:23 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I would do something like this that you can roll up all the way during the day:

http://parkersimsinteriors.com/blog/...treatments.jpg

A long panel on each end could add color and texture but stay out of the way of the window casings.
I like bamboo shades....but maybe attach them mid way up the window so that you can see the leaded panes at the top. I prefer willowy sheers on beautiful windows, with drapes that can be drawn when needed, and taken down in summer. Beautiful older looking finials on the rods are something I prefer when your planning the treatment.

Old 09-19-2012, 02:16 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times

Old 09-19-2012, 02:50 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Middle-aged mom, beat me to it! If you want authentic that looks fresh and clean, go with curtains like in the picture she posted. The other option is cafe sheers covering only the lower portion if you don't like both ends on spring rods like in the picture.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Is it the home you recently showed photos of? If you don't mind I'll ask Mrs. J, my neighbor/good friend/landlord what window coverings were used in the home I live in. It is not a Sears home but it is one of the other homes like that, built well before Sears homes came out I believe. I can ask though if you want. This is the home she grew up in, her parents lived here and her grandparents lived here as well and she is currently 62 I believe. She has lived on the same property since she was born except for the 4 years of college and the 10 - 12 months after she got married.

Don't mind at all! I think it may be a Sears house. Thanks!

Old 09-19-2012, 11:39 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
I talked to Mrs. J and she said this is a Gordon Van Tine home and it was built in 1925ish - 1929. The window treatments that were used at that time covered the entire window and frame from the top of the window to the floor. Keep in mind this is the era where there was little if any insulation put in homes and lots of drafts throughout. It originally did not have indoor plumbing and that was not added until after Mrs. J was born and a bit before it was potty training time Mrs. J's Mother told Mrs. J's Father that she will NOT potty train this child with an outhouse so there was an addition made to the home which added the modern bathroom and a smaller bedroom for Mrs. J. So about 60 years ago this home was given modern indoor plumbing. One more thing with the window coverings, there were actually 2, one was curtains which were against the window, lighter color but heavy draperies were used to keep down the drafts and tied to the side during the day to let in natural light and warmth, as soon as it got dark the drapes were let down.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I talked to Mrs. J and she said this is a Gordon Van Tine home and it was built in 1925ish - 1929. The window treatments that were used at that time covered the entire window and frame from the top of the window to the floor. Keep in mind this is the era where there was little if any insulation put in homes and lots of drafts throughout. It originally did not have indoor plumbing and that was not added until after Mrs. J was born and a bit before it was potty training time Mrs. J's Mother told Mrs. J's Father that she will NOT potty train this child with an outhouse so there was an addition made to the home which added the modern bathroom and a smaller bedroom for Mrs. J. So about 60 years ago this home was given modern indoor plumbing. One more thing with the window coverings, there were actually 2, one was curtains which were against the window, lighter color but heavy draperies were used to keep down the drafts and tied to the side during the day to let in natural light and warmth, as soon as it got dark the drapes were let down.
Wait..you mean my soon to be house is a Gordon van Tine home??? How does she know?

Old 09-20-2012, 06:36 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Default Stay AUTHENTIC!

I think that nicely made "Venetian blinds" with WIDE slats and WIDE webbing look about as appropriate / authentic as anything. There are also very functional and generally allow a greater range of "light control" than the all but the fanciest "mini blinds".
There are also some very lovely traditional ROLLER SHADES that really compliment craftsmen styles. The nicest ones are IDEAL for filtering light and perhaps obscuring a less than a wonderful "view" of a some neighbor...

http://www.thehandwerkshop.com/homep...leafhyper.html

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating