Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 09:01 AM

465 posts, read 613,412 times

Advertisements

I am going back and fourth on whether to purchase a counter depth fridge or a standard size fridge. Our house will be done in two weeks and the builder had I chosen to go with their refrigerator would have installed a GE profile series 26.7 cu ft. Standard size.

GE Profile standard size:
Measuring:
69 7/8 x 35 3/4 x 36 1/4 (HxWxD)

We upgraded to the built in look because you get a larger cabinet on top and I like the way it looks. I took measurements of the space. We prefer to buy our own fridge so we did not add that on with builder.

Cabinet Measures (from inside)
72 x 39 x 28 (depth measured from back to front edge of cabinet)

Picture attached shows the space. I worry how much a standard size fridge will stick out. But I also wonder if we go with counter depth will the wall that sticks out on the left side interfere with how far we can open the left door of the fridge? Larger fridges are great for a family of 4 but will the depth cause problems with the island? I believe the distance between the cabinet and island is only 33 inches.

Recommendations or advice?
Attached Thumbnails
Distance between fridge and Island?-img_5236.jpg   Distance between fridge and Island?-img_5310.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 09:39 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,299,732 times
Lovely kitchen! Exciting to be so close to moving in

I had a counter-depth fridge in a previous home and I loved the built-in look of it. That's about all I loved about it. You don't realize how much you miss those extra inches in your fridge until you don't have them! And since counter-depth models are typically MORE expensive than their standard-depth counterparts, that makes them even less appealing.

The counter depth may look nice and give more room between the island, but from a functionality standpoint, I strongly suggest a standard fridge. I will never have a counter-depth fridge again.....only standard size, or maybe someday a TRUE built-in.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:45 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times
I have a similar space, right up against a wall in my kitchen and I have a french door fridge. The wall, in my case, projects out about 8" past the fridge enclosure. The fridge door on the wall side of the enclosure does hit the wall when it is open - but then it opens so far it almost lays back flat. I did move the light switch from the "inside" of the wall to the outside because the door edge tapped the light switch.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:01 AM

Thank you TN2HSV. Your thoughts definitely echo the little voice in my head. You do lose some valuable freezer space. I like to stock up on Costco frozen chicken and frozen vegetables so those inches do worry me. I figured we would need a freezer in the garage to make up for the loss of extra space.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
I have a similar space, right up against a wall in my kitchen and I have a french door fridge. The wall, in my case, projects out about 8" past the fridge enclosure. The fridge door on the wall side of the enclosure does hit the wall when it is open - but then it opens so far it almost lays back flat. I did move the light switch from the "inside" of the wall to the outside because the door edge tapped the light switch.
Was your fridge a counter depth or standard? It sounds like your wall projects a little further than our wall but you did not have any problems. That is good to know.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:19 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Newer counter depth fridges have a bit more room than the older ones, as the walls of new fridges are slimmer. Yes, it's an adjustment because there's no question that you lose some space. But with a freezer in the garage, you'll be fine.

To me, it was a very worthwhile trade off and I love the way my counter depth looks. Mine is boxed in and I put in extended cabinets above it, so those come out to the front of the fridge and are more easily accessible.

I chose a handle-less model, so I didn't have to worry about the freezer door hitting the wall. And my personal preference was for a side by side although I think you can get a similar door in a french door version if you like those better.

This is my fridge

Samsung Counter Depth Side-by-Side Food ShowCase Refrigerator (Stainless Steel) RH22H9010 | Refrigerators

Old 05-13-2015, 10:26 AM

Found a photo on my phone
Attached Thumbnails
Distance between fridge and Island?-fridge-photo.jpg  

Old 05-13-2015, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Found a photo on my phone
That looks really nice! It's funny back when I was going to go with side by side (that is all we've ever had) that is the exact model I was going to go with. We are living with family and they have a new (door in door) french style and I've grown to love the freezer on the bottom. With the bulk stuff I buy it's easier. No more stuff falling out on my feet.

I do love that fridge, very sleek looking. It looks like your cabinet may very well be the same depth as mine. This gives me a good visual of measuring the extra inches with standard vs the look of the counter depth. I can use the measurements from your model to figure out what it will look like with standard size.
Thanks!

Old 05-13-2015, 10:39 AM

Thanks! I love how my house turned out.

My issue with the french door was that in the counter depth, the freezer is TINY.

I actually would have bought this fridge but they didn't have the counter depth model when I was buying.

Counter Depth 23 cu ft French Door Refrigerator

Best of both worlds, IMO, since you get the french door fridge but the side by side freezer. In the counter depth with a traditional pull out freezer, it's under 7 cu ft of freezer space. In this model, it's 9 cu ft.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:43 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,070,207 times
Get a copy of the video for Ask This Old House this past week. Tim Silva lays out what the measurements should be for passage between an island and a counter, and a raised eating counter and the counter. It will give you a pretty good idea of what works for "passage" (you working and the kids needing to get by) and convenience.

Also...have your contractor gets his bricks away from your molding, and his coffee cups and water bottle away from your counter tops and cabinets. That is just sloppy workmanship and can lead to stains which will last a lifetime....especially if they soak through to your floors under the rosin paper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating