Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 05:09 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,853,742 times

Advertisements

I am looking at a sofa which is upholstered in "microvelvet". Anyone have any feedback on this fabric?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 06:01 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
MICROFIBER (Microsuede) FABRIC - Upholstery and Drapery | eBay MICROFIBER (Microsuede) FABRIC - Upholstery and Drapery

This is an ebay shop that explains what microfabrics are. I didn't know this, but apparently there are several sorts of micro fabrics available, and perhasp microvelvet is now on trend.

If I were buying a sofa upholstered in microvelvet, I'd want to know whether the fiber was nylon or poly, or rayon or cotton. I'd want the former, not the latter two, for wear characteristics.

Hope this helps!

Old 07-13-2013, 07:14 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
... If I were buying a sofa upholstered in microvelvet, I'd want to know whether the fiber was nylon or poly, or rayon or cotton. I'd want the former, not the latter two, for wear characteristics ...
Speaking as a former sales associate for a reputable furniture chain, I would agree. Cotton and rayon velvets, while beautiful, should be used for clothing. To get good wear from a sofa, man-made fabrics are preferable. There are great price ranges in man-made, furniture-grade fabrics. The good ones look better and are correspondingly more expensive. Another example of you get what you pay for.

But there's nothing wrong with using faux anything today if the quality is there. I'd take quartz over marble or granite and porcelain tile over stone flooring for ease of maintenance alone. There are fake leathers available today that anyone would be hard-pressed to tell from real, except that the fake ones don't smell like an animal. If you like the looks of the sofa, it's comfortable to you, and it appears to be well-constructed (don't be shy about turning it over and looking at the frame), then buy it if the price seems right.

Old 07-13-2013, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Speaking as a former sales associate for a reputable furniture chain, I would agree. Cotton and rayon velvets, while beautiful, should be used for clothing. To get good wear from a sofa, man-made fabrics are preferable. There are great price ranges in man-made, furniture-grade fabrics. The good ones look better and are correspondingly more expensive. Another example of you get what you pay for.

But there's nothing wrong with using faux anything today if the quality is there. I'd take quartz over marble or granite and porcelain tile over stone flooring for ease of maintenance alone. There are fake leathers available today that anyone would be hard-pressed to tell from real, except that the fake ones don't smell like an animal. If you like the looks of the sofa, it's comfortable to you, and it appears to be well-constructed (don't be shy about turning it over and looking at the frame), then buy it if the price seems right.
The key on upholstery is always the construction, isn't it? There is so much you can't see.

I've not seen good faux leather on furniture, but I haven't been looking. I'll take your word for it. And I agree about porcelain tile, which we have on our kitchen counters. Very easy to keep clean. But you need to use epoxy grout.

Old 07-14-2013, 04:21 AM

213 posts, read 575,938 times
Microfiber is a low end material used on budget furniture. You'll see it on the "sale" and loss leader items - those $199 couches they advertise. The appearance is like a suede leather, but it's sometimes obvious it is microfiber (faux suede). Like suede, it shows every mark from grain being brushed one way or another.

That said, I've never owned anything with this fabric on it, so cannot comment on the wear. I think it would be great for a kids room, college dorm room, or young adults on a budget. It may not impress anyone, but should serve it's function quite well, at a very low price.

Old 07-14-2013, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
And I agree about porcelain tile, which we have on our kitchen counters. Very easy to keep clean. But you need to use epoxy grout.
I used tile on a countertop once in my life and NEVER AGAIN. I hate grout of any kind but I'm not eating food that was on the floor.

Old 07-14-2013, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californianz View Post
Microfiber is a low end material used on budget furniture. You'll see it on the "sale" and loss leader items - those $199 couches they advertise. The appearance is like a suede leather, but it's sometimes obvious it is microfiber (faux suede) ...
The word microfiber just means "synthetic yarn." There are microfibers to mimic practically any kind of fabric. I have drapery panels in my living room that look like silk, yet they are a microfiber that wears much better under the hot sun of Arizona where I live. Real silk would rot in a short time, even with lining. And even the microfiber "suede" you refer to comes in many price points and the higher ones are attractive and easy to clean.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:37 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,853,742 times
Thanks, all!

I posted this a few weeks ago and have since purchased a different sofa, one not made of "microvelvet". I was suspicious of the quality of the material and went with something else entirely.

Old 07-14-2013, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
Thanks, all!

I posted this a few weeks ago and have since purchased a different sofa, one not made of "microvelvet". I was suspicious of the quality of the material and went with something else entirely.
If you were suspicious, it was probably with good cause.

I hope you love your new sofa!

Old 07-14-2013, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
The word microfiber just means "synthetic yarn." There are microfibers to mimic practically any kind of fabric. I have drapery panels in my living room that look like silk, yet they are a microfiber that wears much better under the hot sun of Arizona where I live. Real silk would rot in a short time, even with lining. And even the microfiber "suede" you refer to comes in many price points and the higher ones are attractive and easy to clean.
I think microfiber or micro-anything refers to the very fine thread or yarn the fabric is woven with. Somewhere, sometime I have encountered micro fiber velvet that I thought wore pretty well. I imagine the fiber was nylon, not poly though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating