Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 08:06 AM

13,056 posts, read 18,121,249 times

Advertisements

We have a wall of built-in bookcases (UGH) in our new home that would render dead space that would be hard to decorate around if we removed them. They have a 36 in base cabinet with two doors and then shelves above. So I have decided to make lemonade out of lemons. Inside the base is an electrical outlet. There is no hole drilled in the cabinet for access to the plug and the top of the cabinet is a shelf.

I would prefer not to drill a hole into the cabinet if I can avoid it since my use of the plug would only be for Christmas decorations. I had and idea that could plug in an extension cord after cutting it, drill a small hole to pass the cord wire and then wire in the female end on the top of the cabinet and reverse the process after Christmas. Is this safe? Is there a ready made "doohickey" like this already that I am unaware of? If it is safe to do is there anything I should be aware of in particular. Suggestions greatly appreciated. thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2013, 08:26 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,290,523 times
If you know how to do that sort of thing and are knowledgeable about electrical wiring safety, then you can do a safe job.

If you are not sure of what you are doing, then you would have no idea if you did this in a manner which was not safe!

The safest would be to call an electrician and have him install an outlet where you want it. If it is a simple job, then the cost will be quite low!

Old 11-24-2013, 08:27 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,076,437 times
I don't think I've ever heard anyone say "UGH" to a wall of built-in bookcases -- I would love that!!

If you have to drill a small hole ANYWAY for the cut extension cord, why not carefully drill a slightly bigger hole (and keep its plug) so the extension cord can fit through without cutting it? Then plug the hole afterward. If you have something on the shelf no one would see it anyway, as far as I can tell from what you wrote?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
The safest would be to call an electrician and have him install an outlet where you want it. If it is a simple job, then the cost will be quite low!
Or do this ^^^. I had an electrician make an outlet on the other side of a wall -- it seemed to be very simple for him. I imagine having one added right above the existing one (just going up the wall) would be pretty simple as well -- he'd need to just "fish" the wiring I think.

Old 11-24-2013, 09:59 AM

15,205 posts, read 12,073,081 times
Drill the hole big enough for one of these....

Amazon.com: Amico PC Desk Flip Top Plastic Grommet Cable Hole Cover 4 Pcs: Office Products

Old 11-24-2013, 10:07 AM

Thanks for the responses but the key to the whole thing is that the ONLY time I need electric is at Christmas time. It will cost me $$ to bring an electrician in to move an outlet that I will not use other than at this time. I have already repaired outdoor extension cords and iron cords with new plugs so essentially this is all I want to do now, but instead of using the actual decoration cord I was thinking of simply making a two foot extension cord the only difference being that one side of the plug would be in the outlet below an the other above the shelf. I would run the extension up through the shelf and hid the decoration cord behind the decoration I could drill a quarter inch or less as opposed to having a plug that would be much more noticeable the remainder of the year.

Karen the reason I had the bookcases are many.

#1 are in the living room and my furniture is more on the formal style

#2 they are on either side of the fireplace and are two base cabinets side by side (5'6") each topped by 5' 3" of shelves. Each base cab is 24' deep and the shelves are 18" deep. That is exactly 11 feet of bookcases!!!

#3 When we moved I got rid of most of my books and even if I still had them ALL, I would never be able to use all that space.

#4 I am now using them for odd pieces and I am not in to knickknacks. I have to constantly dust them. If we removed them the room would look weird with two cut outs on either side of the fireplace. I would need to buy additional furniture to take up the space.

#5 They are white in a very formal and traditional room. I am considering having them painted to take the starkness away but I am concerned that a knick here or there would render them really ugly.

Old 11-24-2013, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Thanks for the responses but the key to the whole thing is that the ONLY time I need electric is at Christmas time. It will cost me $$ to bring an electrician in to move an outlet that I will not use other than at this time. I have already repaired outdoor extension cords and iron cords with new plugs so essentially this is all I want to do now, but instead of using the actual decoration cord I was thinking of simply making a two foot extension cord the only difference being that one side of the plug would be in the outlet below an the other above the shelf. I would run the extension up through the shelf and hid the decoration cord behind the decoration I could drill a quarter inch or less as opposed to having a plug that would be much more noticeable the remainder of the year.
Sounds like you DO know what you are doing with the extension cord. Electricity scares me so I leave ALL electrical projects to electricians!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Karen the reason I had the bookcases are many.

#1 are in the living room and my furniture is more on the formal style

#2 they are on either side of the fireplace and are two base cabinets side by side (5'6") each topped by 5' 3" of shelves. Each base cab is 24' deep and the shelves are 18" deep. That is exactly 11 feet of bookcases!!!

#3 When we moved I got rid of most of my books and even if I still had them ALL, I would never be able to use all that space.

#4 I am now using them for odd pieces and I am not in to knickknacks. I have to constantly dust them. If we removed them the room would look weird with two cut outs on either side of the fireplace. I would need to buy additional furniture to take up the space.

#5 They are white in a very formal and traditional room. I am considering having them painted to take the starkness away but I am concerned that a knick here or there would render them really ugly.
Sorry, I didn't mean to make you defensive about the bookcases, I was just surprised! I had to laugh at the 11' of bookcases ... I probably have 50'-60' of bookcases (most of them 6' tall) and I still have a bunch of books in boxes 'cause there's not enough shelf space for them all. I am rather addicted to books though!

I can understand white bookcases not working ... I'd paint them too!

Good luck with the project -- I'd love to see photos once you've finished!

Old 11-24-2013, 10:34 AM

Karen, if I sounded defensive I apologize, I didn't mean to be. It is just that I guess I simply can't disguise my disdain for them. I find myself enslaved to them trying to find "stuff" to put in them to a) take away the starkness b) to fill in something that dominates the space to me. The painting will be next year so it will be a while but I will post. Happy Turkey.

I admit I am a Christmas nut so they will come in handy for the Christmas season, but OH after that!!!! UGH.

Old 11-24-2013, 10:43 AM

Actually I'd love to see the photos after you do your Christmas decorating ... I am SO not good at stuff like that.

Old 11-24-2013, 06:38 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
If its just for some mini-lights here and there have you considered battery operated?

Old 11-24-2013, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
If its just for some mini-lights here and there have you considered battery operated?
I wish I could use battery operated, it is for a ceramic Christmas tree and the picture light for a
Nativity scene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating