Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 09:27 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,218,289 times

Advertisements

Spanky25 Even with a large amount of granite or whatever material you like, there is a way to make it work. Take the island as an entity of it's own and use a second color, lighter or darker or it's complete opposite. Then you can still use the same material as backsplash. And choose a granite that isn't so busy, a calmer color with not as much contrast.

If the kitchen is large putting in a second material is going to make it even busier.

The copper photo above looks nice because it is blending with the color of the cupboards giving it a calming look. It isn't a bunch of colors like tiles are. So in that case the eye isn't stopped at the backsplash. I just think too many backsplashes are not well thought through. They end up being a focal point that competes with the granite countertops and they shouldn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 01:10 PM

5,867 posts, read 11,928,737 times
Well, I found something I fell in love with. We decided on the 4 x 4 tumbled travertine in a beige color interspersed with cuts from this mosaic: QDI Stone - Stone Mosaics

Basically, you cut the mosaic into 9 equal squares and mix them in with the plain travertine. They had a display and it really caught my eye. Something a little less boring than just plan travertine but not too flashy.

Of course I will post pictures once it's installed. Thanks all!

Old 12-13-2013, 04:06 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,189,137 times
If I could do my backsplash over again, I'd do harlequin shaped travertine tiles. We currently have the subway shape, but I prefer harlequin.

Old 12-13-2013, 05:19 PM

We are going to do the 4" tiles on a diagonal and with the Enignma mosaic, I think it will look great. I liked the subway shape at the showroom - contemporary shape, classic style, but hubby didn't like it and said it would look too much like the fireplace which is brick.

Old 12-14-2013, 10:43 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
I don't want to end up with something too trendy. I'm going for a very classic, traditional style. The cabinets are cherry with a harvest stain (medium color) and the wall is a sage green. I don't want glass tiles, brightly colored mosaics, or subway tiles. Travertine seems like a safe choice, but leans towards the boring side. Oh, and the countertops (not installed yet) are going to be Giallo Ornamental. I would prefer to wait until the granite is installed to pick the backsplash, but we got an opportunity to use a highly rated contractor and we need to fit into his schedule. He wants us to get the backsplash on order ASAP.

Looking for any and all inputs!
Anytime someone wants me to rush in a decision the slower I go. I've done three remodels of my own and I guarantee you will change your mind. Tell the contractor he can wait until YOU are ready. I don't care how highly rated he is

Old 12-15-2013, 07:06 AM

Actually, the decision to rush is ours to make. The granite goes in on Tuesday and I am just so excited to have my greatly new and improved kitchen back! Of course we are quickly running into the holiday season as well, and it would be a bonus if I have my new kitchen complete by Christmas. He buys from local wholesalers, so many times the materials have to be ordered. It's pretty much up to us to make the decision so we can get moving quickly.

In any case, I made my decision, so we'll see how long it really takes to get the material and get it installed. Like I said, my wish would be to have it for Christmas!

Old 12-15-2013, 11:51 AM

4,232 posts, read 6,910,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Anytime someone wants me to rush in a decision the slower I go. I've done three remodels of my own and I guarantee you will change your mind. Tell the contractor he can wait until YOU are ready. I don't care how highly rated he is
I agree. I am glad the OP seems happy with their decision, but I am never a fan of a contractor who rushes you to order. They can make recommendations on when to order if you have a target date you are trying to make, but beyond that, rushing a decision is a negative in my book when working with a contractor. Plus, decent tileworkers for just a backsplash are a dime a dozen in many places. Shower tile or large projects are a whole different game though.

Old 12-15-2013, 01:36 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,591,937 times
I like see pics when done~~ I think it best to pick whatever grab you, your home so enjoy...

Old 12-15-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
I agree. I am glad the OP seems happy with their decision, but I am never a fan of a contractor who rushes you to order. They can make recommendations on when to order if you have a target date you are trying to make, but beyond that, rushing a decision is a negative in my book when working with a contractor. Plus, decent tileworkers for just a backsplash are a dime a dozen in many places. Shower tile or large projects are a whole different game though.
Sorry I gave you guys the impression the contractor was rushing us. I think I am just anxious to get it done and when a window popped open, I jumped on it. I hadn't made up my mind what I wanted yet, so i was looking for suggestions. Thanks to all who offered. I'd been looking at home improvement stores and pictures on the internet and nothing inspired me.

The contractor couldn't care less whether we did it next week or next year - I was just trying to take advantage of his opening. He actually works for a custom home builder and has done lots of work for family members and his work is top notch.

Old 12-15-2013, 05:15 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Moonlady
What you need to do us find where the contractors go. They have supply houses for everything.i just got a remodel on a rental. I went to what locally is referred to as Tile Row. I got the same tile that was sold at HD or Lowes for about 50-70% off retail price. I ended up with a porcelain travertine print. I was looking for the hardest wearing least hassle and porcelain was it. I bought enough to do a whole downstairs three bathroom floors, one. Bath wall and a 3x3x3x8 shower and a 5x5 in a bonus room along with a 17x2foot backsplash. All for 1600 in tile cost including the grout.

Even the higher end stuff is cheaper than the big box stores. Problem is you don't want to over order because you can't return it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating