Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 05:13 AM

2,277 posts, read 2,655,095 times

Advertisements

I've done a few small pieces myself which turned out fairly nice. I used a dark red mahogany stain.
I've also seen on the Road Show, never refinish old furniture because it depreciates the value, but in my case it didn't matter. I just didn't like the condition of it. I surely would 'not' take it apart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 09:08 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Oak can look nice with a somewhat dark stain, especially if it is quarter sawn oak that shows a strong contrast / radial pattern.

I would not recommend "chocolate brown" and if the existing finish is "reddish" it may take so much stain to get a true chocolate tone that all traces of the natural wood grain are blotted out...

Even if you don't want to sell it may be worth at least researching the make of the furniture -- pieces from firms like Stickely could be quite valuable and then you could buy something that is more to your taste. If you have a dresser like this maybe you could sell it and but a new house: THE STICKLEY MUSEUM

If the material is not oak but something like mahogany or cherry it would be foolish to slather brown stain on it -- even inexpensive art noveau style bedroom would look terrible with a too modern "chocolate" stain. -- Antique Mahogany Art Noveau French Style Twin Beds Vintage Bedroom Furniture | eBay
Don't do anything until you know what you have. You can find pics of antique furniture online. Search with a descripton: art nouveau oak furniture, for instance. I am not sure if Art Nouveau pieces were made of oak though.

I found similar pieces to my old settee by looking through pics I found by searching on google. It helped me know that I had an Empire Revival settee, probably manufactured around the turn of the last century. It isn't terribly valuable either, I found out.

However, if you do have something really nice, you don't want to do anything to it that would harm its value. So, you can research this yourself, or have it appraised. Then whatever you do will be informed by knowing if it is has value.

If you choose to refinish it, then you will need to strip it. The newer strippers are gentler and easier to use than they used to be. Stripping and restaining several pieces is quite a project, so know what you want to do ahead of time.

My old dining table was given to us in pieces. It had a reddish stain on it, and was oak. I located an exact replica of it in a reprint of a Sears Roebuck Catalog. DH refinished it long ago, and it did service for us until the early aughts, when I replaced it. It now graces the home of one of my kids. That old furniture can be quite sturdy. But it isn't necessarily intrinsically valuable.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:51 AM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Most people overvalue old furniture, so in most cases it is not very valuable, except for sentimental value.

If I were you, I would try using Old English Scratch Cover first, in an inconspicuous place, to see how it looks. The stuff will positively renew dark old furniture (be careful because the stuff will stain anything it touches). Your set might not need an expensive refinish after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating