Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 06:49 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,547,556 times

Advertisements

Our house is a traditional Scottish bungalow, 87 years old. The decor is a mix. Tons of Ugandan arts and crafts from when we lived there - woven baskets of all shapes and sizes, carved wooden masks, wildlife, dugout canoes, men on bicycles hauling various goods, gourds, wall hangings. A bit of Australian aboriginal art. A gorgeous and very colourful ceramic bowl I bought in France. A few Buddhas.

And what seems to be true for many people when they get a bit older - lots of photos everywhere. We have a very wide hallway and it is covered in photos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2014, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
You're still an artist, it just takes a different route than being a painter. I think the definition of an artist is that they are driven to create. Doesn't matter if you're refinishing a piece of furniture, writing music, dancing ballet, or sculpting a statue....its all good.
Very true. I wish I could paint or draw but I can't. So my creativity has been discovered through photography.

Old 07-26-2014, 08:09 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
Very true. I wish I could paint or draw but I can't. So my creativity has been discovered through photography.
And you are a terrific photographer! I hope you have many of your photos framed and displayed!

Old 07-26-2014, 09:24 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Sounds a lot like me. I bolded what you said because I am at a place in my life where I can usually afford to buy what I like. I was talking to a friend one day about something I wish I had bought and never did. (Then it wasn't available anymore.) And she told me to always think, "Would I regret not having this? Would I be annoyed at myself for not getting it?" Now I use that to justify my spending. ;-)
that's the same analysis I use. In fact, I even bought my new, under construction house, based on the same theory. I wasn't ready to buy yet, my plan was to get my current house ready to list and once it sold, I'd go house hunting. But I decided to go and take a look at some model homes in the area I was interested in, not planning to buy, but since the same builder had built most of the housing stock I was likely to get, I wanted to see if I liked it in person. Just to have that in my head as I casually looked at online listings in the area waiting to get my house sold. I ended up totally falling in love with the model and since there were only a couple of lots left, I knew I'd regret not making the leap even though I think this is the backwards way to do it!

Old 07-26-2014, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
And you are a terrific photographer! I hope you have many of your photos framed and displayed!
Thanks! Many of the photos are old ones of family, including me and my husband when he was young. I do have a few of my recent photos framed though, including grandkids and flowers and Ugandan friends.

Old 07-26-2014, 02:25 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,358,901 times
Quote:
I don't really like white but I am really feeling the cottage/coastal lately. Maybe I just want to live by the water...
I just laughed because I actually DO live by the water (my building is right on the water!) so I think I need more sleep. I think I mean live right by a beach I can practically exist at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
that's the same analysis I use. In fact, I even bought my new, under construction house, based on the same theory. I wasn't ready to buy yet, my plan was to get my current house ready to list and once it sold, I'd go house hunting. But I decided to go and take a look at some model homes in the area I was interested in, not planning to buy, but since the same builder had built most of the housing stock I was likely to get, I wanted to see if I liked it in person. Just to have that in my head as I casually looked at online listings in the area waiting to get my house sold. I ended up totally falling in love with the model and since there were only a couple of lots left, I knew I'd regret not making the leap even though I think this is the backwards way to do it!
I know what you mean. When I was growing up, we never really had money. So getting myself to spend money on things has been SO hard. But I am slowly doing it. We bought our apartment with the understanding that we would be fixing it up since the previous owner left it looking like crap but even then I'm reluctant---I have to tell myself, don't you want to spend a little money now and at least enjoy it? I know when I sell I'll get the money back but I still always have to have this back and forth with myself.

I also like updating things for function. I wouldn't call that a theme, but I definitely look for ways to optimize my space. So I am already planning how to set-up the useless closet space so that it's better for storage/function. My kitchen---putting the refrigerator directly behind the stove (so that the door practically hits it and you can't open it while someone is cooking) was not the smartest move. That is something I definitely cannot wait to fix also! (Waiting to get a regular sized stove and four burners that actually work! Ha.)

Old 07-26-2014, 02:27 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living
I am of the opinion that if you like it, who cares if it's mass produced or not?
Exactly. I have original art, mass-produced art, kids' art, my art, and kitsch art -- all in the same room, sometimes. I wouldn't have it if it didn't mean anything to me, just as I wouldn't display art just to suit people who fashion themselves as artists, art experts or art critics.

Old 07-26-2014, 03:28 PM

Quote:
I just laughed because I actually DO live by the water (my building is right on the water!) so I think I need more sleep. I think I mean live right by a beach I can practically exist at.
I live on a sea loch and I'll never be able to not to live right on the water again. I need to have water out my window!

Old 07-26-2014, 04:46 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Exactly. I have original art, mass-produced art, kids' art, my art, and kitsch art -- all in the same room, sometimes. I wouldn't have it if it didn't mean anything to me, just as I wouldn't display art just to suit people who fashion themselves as artists, art experts or art critics.
Amen. The only rule with art is there are no rules.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:24 PM

1,371 posts, read 3,699,497 times
I don't really know what our theme is. We just buy things we think look good together and put them in our house. We really like finding old, distressed accessories and mixing them with modern and traditional furnishings and artwork.
Attached Thumbnails
Your Home-img_0550-copy.jpg   Your Home-img_0553-copy.jpg   Your Home-img_0558-copy.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating