Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 01:21 PM

4,270 posts, read 6,293,626 times

Advertisements

My entertainment center is similar to this (mine is a bit less ornate):

The TV room is relatively traditional - beige furniture, a red/black/beige oriental rug over black bamboo floors, honey-colored plantation shutters and fireplace mantel, the fireplace is red brick, and the fireplace wall is a deep red while the other walls are beige with white crown molding around the entire room. The tables in the room are the same wood tone as the entertainment center shown above.

Adjacent kitchen has the same black bamboo floors, white cabinets, sunny yellow paint.

As for my decorating taste, it runs the gamut - when you look at the art work around the house, it can be cartoony and whimsical, but also retro and funky or dark and moody. I currently don't have ANY artwork hanging in the TV room.

I'm wondering what to put above the entertainment center. Up to a few weeks ago we had tons of board games stacked up there, but I took advantage of the new bamboo floors going in to get rid of the games that were either missing pieces/broken or were games my kids didn't want anymore. The games we were left with are now stored in the entertainment center.

I feel like I should put something up there - it looks too bare (which comes from constantly seeing the games up there).

What kind of things do you have above your entertainment center? Or do you have nothing?

Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 02:24 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
I don't put anything on top of mine. Mine is the same height across, but if I had one with the center raised like your photo, I might put something on the 2 end cabinets like they have - not a pair of the same thing, but 2 items that are a similar size. I'd leave the center cabinet top empty.

Old 11-05-2014, 02:31 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Leave it empty.

If you already have stuff on the shelves AND a big flat screen, you don't need anything else on TOP.

Not every blank space needs to be filled.

Old 11-05-2014, 02:40 PM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Personally, I would leave it empty. Especially since you have the display shelving on both sides.

Old 11-05-2014, 02:45 PM

350 posts, read 477,366 times
During the bad weather months, I have a huge vine plant that resides there and drapes down over the sides. During the good weather months, it's outside and it's empty.

Old 11-05-2014, 02:49 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Leave it empty until you get used to seeing it empty then you can decide if you want something there or not.
It is your home, you know what you like so you are the only one who has an opinion about what should or should not go there.

Old 11-05-2014, 08:50 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,299,732 times
I agree that empty is fine. But some people do prefer something up there & that's ok too! If you decide to put something up there, go large & simple rather than a bunch of small things. A large lidded wicker basket would look nice on one of the shorter cabinets. And maybe a large decorative tray or platter on a stand.

Old 11-05-2014, 09:18 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,763,878 times
Things collect dust and must be carefully cleaned.

An empty space can simply be wiped down and dust easily removed.

Old 11-05-2014, 09:44 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,840,052 times
I dont have an entertainment center. Id leave it empty

Old 11-05-2014, 09:53 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,784,668 times
I have a medium square woven basket full of dried Hydrangea and concrete finials (on the large side- one pointed and the other ball-shaped) on top of my armoire. It has doors that close, though, so it needed a focal point.

I think a large painted bowl might be a good focal point for your entertainment center. Just make sure the scale is fairly large, so it doesn't get dwarfed by the furniture, I suppose? Or a trio of them, maybe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating