Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 01:32 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,422,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The professionals do not use a "mix and roll it" system

Now, wouldn't you agree that your comment Absolutely depends on the business? Ever try and track down this kind of business in a rural area? The *ONE* installer I found who was willing to travel to my town (and had done so in the past) coughed up some local references. None of them had anything good to say about the finish, with one saying it was just the same (poor) condition as before spending the $400 after less than a year of occasional use. The '5 year guarantee' was similarly worthless because the installer was unwilling to make the ~3 hour drive more often than 3 times a year, and then only when there was enough New business in the area to keep him busy.

Live in an urban center with lots of choices? Maybe its different. To me, its a band-aid and will only ever be a temporary solution. Others can make that decision for themselves...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 04:26 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,374,960 times
Default Cleaning a Re-coated Tub

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmeck View Post
We had two different bathrooms professionally done in our old home. We waited a year before doing the second to see how the first held up and are so happy with how it looks. Both tubs were gorgeous with the exception of the pink and blue; and I couldn't justify tossing it. There is a 5 year guarantee with the application from the company we used. Its durable to an extent; one of my children dropped a hard bath toy and caused a slight crack in the paint. The company came back out and repaired it, no charge.
What do you use to clean the refinished tub? The one in our guest bathroom of our newly purchased (used) house got very dirty after one week's use. We tried everything to clean it with no success. I suspect it was a DIY project by the previous owners right before they put it up for sale.) Any advice??

Old 01-13-2015, 05:05 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Default I can understand the situation if you do not have good firms nearby...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Now, wouldn't you agree that your comment Absolutely depends on the business? Ever try and track down this kind of business in a rural area? The *ONE* installer I found who was willing to travel to my town (and had done so in the past) coughed up some local references. None of them had anything good to say about the finish, with one saying it was just the same (poor) condition as before spending the $400 after less than a year of occasional use. The '5 year guarantee' was similarly worthless because the installer was unwilling to make the ~3 hour drive more often than 3 times a year, and then only when there was enough New business in the area to keep him busy.

Live in an urban center with lots of choices? Maybe its different. To me, its a band-aid and will only ever be a temporary solution. Others can make that decision for themselves...
I admit that there are probably "guys with a pick-up" trying to make a living doing this is areas where they really don't get much practice. In those cases it would not be a wise use of your money.

In a metro area, especially where lots of people really like old timey tubs and sinks, the folks doing this work can make a nice living and their business grows. You don't need to have an "old timey" tub / sink either, I have seen folks selling homes with gross, worn-out 70s color tubs end up with an "updated" bath in hours for just a few hundred dollars. That is prudent use of the services too.

Old 01-13-2015, 05:07 PM

Default Try GEL type automatic dishwasher liquid with bleach...

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
What do you use to clean the refinished tub? The one in our guest bathroom of our newly purchased (used) house got very dirty after one week's use. We tried everything to clean it with no success. I suspect it was a DIY project by the previous owners right before they put it up for sale.) Any advice??
... the gel stuff has NO abrasiveness and it tends NOT to dry out so it really enhances the "stain removing" without stripping out too much "shine".

Old 01-13-2015, 05:44 PM

3,977 posts, read 7,694,209 times
I'm glad your project turned out nice, I am not very DIY-ish though, Especially when it comes to doing things like that. I was considering an overlay insert, but still not sure. I think getting the tub and tile to a nice new white that matches would look really good. The tub isn't as slopey as I would like but I think i could manage.
the guest bath is also kind of an off-rose/tan color, but the sink and toilet are as well, so it's not a big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
We just did it ourselves a few months ago on a prior job (that was flaking off to the touch). Hiring in was more costly than buying a brand new tub, so we simply bought a new tub for the 2nd bedroom (master suite) and opted DIY for the infrequently used guest bath. The job wasn't complicated, but involves a TON of prep that probably took us a day or so spread out over a week. Sanding, scraping, pulling out caulk, cutting away grout, etc... but the process itself was simple, mix together the 2-part epoxy and roll on.

There are a LOT of downsides though. It's very fragile stuff from all accounts we could find online (both pro and DIY), you aren't supposed to put down bath mats because even that can remove the finish so forget about bathing a dog in there. And once you get a crack/scratch you have to try and repair it immediately else water will get underneath and ruin the whole job.

Obviously, there's a lot more than the cost of a tub to consider if you're not already doing a whole bath renovation, but for anyone who's planning on replacing the shower tile and flooring I'll forever recommend a replacement tub. Our brand new, direct from Kohler, shipping included cast iron tub was only just over $300.

Old 01-14-2015, 05:26 AM

4,725 posts, read 4,422,252 times
From everything I have read about this- some people have had great results and some have regretted it.
It seems to me that the actual firm that is doing it (and even if it's a franchise or chain, I think you have to really narrow in on the location that would be doing yours) is critical.

I remember there was one called miracle method I think ( not sure if they are still around- this was several years ago) that seemed to be better than most, but I don't think they were in my area.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:54 AM

Default Cleaning a Re-coated Tub w/Dishwasher Gel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
... the gel stuff has NO abrasiveness and it tends NOT to dry out so it really enhances the "stain removing" without stripping out too much "shine".
Should the gel be used with a sponge and wiped on? Or fill tub with water and soak?

Old 01-14-2015, 10:57 AM

Default Pretty much like a "dishwasher cycle"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Should the gel be used with a sponge and wiped on? Or fill tub with water and soak?
Wet down the tub with hot water but leave the drain open. While the tub is nice and warm squirt the dishwasher gel all over the tub. WEAR GLOVES THE STUFF WILL TEAR UP YOUR HANDS. If you want to work it a bit with a damp sponge that won't hurt. THEN LET IT SIT AS LONG AS POSSIBLE -- like overnight.

Next day turn on the hot water, get on the glove, and sponge the whole thing down.

If you want it be shinier after the whole thing is dry you can apply some synthetic car wax -- Turtle ICE Wax

If that doesn't make it look better then nothing will...

Old 01-15-2015, 03:09 PM

Thanks! I'll give that a try.

Old 11-09-2015, 10:19 PM

1 posts, read 435 times
This is the same family of coatings that were developed to line tank cars for transporting corrosive chemical. Its durable to an extent; one of my children dropped a hard
[url]http://[/url][URL="http://nullrefer.com/?http://www.chicagobathtubandtile.com/"]chicagobathtubandtile.com[/URL]">beautiful baths> toy and caused a slight crack in the paint
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating