Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2015, 11:17 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,705,582 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I recently bought a house (built in 1915) and trying to do a little renovation around the tub area of a small bathroom (2nd bathroom in the house).

Here are some pics:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...jQ&usp=sharing

I want to re-tile the area that you see where I have removed the existing tile. Behind the faucet, there seems to be a wooden "shelf" area where you can remove the top panel to get to the pipes behind the faucets. I removed the tile and want to re-tile it.

I also want to re-tile the left hand side, hence why I removed the tile there, too. When I removed the tile in the corner, I noticed a hole and it looks to be a plaster wall.

Questions:

Can I use plaster to fill up the hole in the corner and then re-tile that area? Or, any advice on how to proceed before re-tiling?
  1. As someone whom has never tiled before, what is the process for re-tiling ? Can I remove the wood and replace with cement board, apply Hydro ban, and re-tile?
  2. Any advice on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated!

P.S> I installed my first toilet a few months ago thanks to this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2015, 12:37 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
How do you feel about re-tiling the whole tub area?

Old 09-07-2015, 07:47 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,909,338 times
Uh, hhmmmm. I can't tell from your pics if there is a lip on the tub which would be behind the...what looks like wood that the tile is glued to. If there is no lip, and yes they made tubs with no lip, you have more than you're gonna wanna know about, issues. Second, I see no moisture barrier at all. It appears that whoever did this obviously novice job, they used the glue for the moisture barrier. That might work where yer at but it'll get you fired and fined here. From what I see, the entire thing needs to come out all the way to the studs and that includes the tub and start over, only do it right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating