Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2015, 09:34 PM

2,328 posts, read 2,188,635 times

Advertisements

I am the first time home owner, and I just noticed that one of bathrooms: it is carpet floor, but under the carpet, it is CERAMIC or PORCELAIN, I could not tell. Anyway, they are very small pieces (2" by 1") and they are ugly, I don't know why previous house owner put carpet above it.

I don't like carpet floor, and I don't like the existing tile (CERAMIC or PORCELAIN) neither. If I replace the tile, how far should I go? Should I also need to replace back board under the tile?

Thank you very much!
Attached Thumbnails
How to replace tile?-unnamed.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 09:48 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,085,989 times
Unless you're doing a full mid-range or higher remodel, I'd assess the condition of the current tile and clean it as best possible if it's not cracked or stained terribly. A house that has a decent mid-century tile floor in the bathroom *likely* has other much higher priority issues you'll be dealing with soon.

Old 07-06-2015, 09:55 PM

2,328 posts, read 2,188,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
Unless you're doing a full mid-range or higher remodel, I'd assess the condition of the current tile and clean it as best possible if it's not cracked or stained terribly. A house that has a decent mid-century tile floor in the bathroom *likely* has other much higher priority issues you'll be dealing with soon.
Not really, actually, bathrooms are my next priority. The deck was my priority, but I have repaired/painted it, some other smaller things have also been taken care.

The bottom line is I have to remove carpet, but the tile looks really ugly, and I would like to replace it. At the meanwhile, I am not sure if it is difficult.

Thanks.

Old 07-07-2015, 12:02 AM

17,480 posts, read 66,122,593 times
Tile on slab or subflooring?

If its on slab- you're just removing the tile and thinset.
If its on subfloor- you're more than likely removing everything, to the subfloor and starting over. However, I have seen tile removed from a mudpack base with a demo-hammer and wide chisel; then new tile applied over a skim coat that leveled out gouges from the removal process.

Old 07-07-2015, 10:31 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,085,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlebeH View Post
Not really, actually, bathrooms are my next priority. The deck was my priority, but I have repaired/painted it, some other smaller things have also been taken care.

The bottom line is I have to remove carpet, but the tile looks really ugly, and I would like to replace it. At the meanwhile, I am not sure if it is difficult.

Thanks.
It's not difficult to remove at all. Just get a hammer drill with a chisel attachment and start banging it out. Once you see what is underneath you'll know whether you'll have to replace the subfloor. In the 50+ years since this stuff was installed, a lot of other factors may come into play - like a long standing water leak that happened sometime between 1970 and 1985 for instance. If the plumbing hasn't been replaced, that would be a priority over surface finishes.

Old 07-08-2015, 05:21 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,198,781 times
I think the tile looks good. I'd pull up the carpet, and leave the tile alone for the time being. Then live with it, and think about it before deciding. When you do decide, you'll have a better idea about what you want.

Old 07-08-2015, 05:31 PM

61,834 posts, read 87,292,973 times
Why remove? If the existing tile floor is in good condition you can put new tile over existing tile. Less work and mess:
Tile Installation: How to Tile Over Existing Tile | The Family Handyman
https://www.ifixit.com/Wiki/FAQ_-_Ca...Existing_TIles
How to Lay Tile Over a Tile Floor | Today's Homeowner
More here:
https://goo.gl/yqLngH

Last edited by elnina; 07-09-2015 at 01:24 AM..

Old 07-09-2015, 01:14 AM

5 posts, read 3,794 times
I think the tile looks great. I'd draw up the rug, and allow the tile to sit without bothering it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating