Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 05:01 PM

778 posts, read 2,323,282 times

Advertisements

Hey folks,

So I figured I would give this question a go in this forum. To save a bit of money, I am about to downsize my apartment from a 2 bedroom. I figured in the 1.5 years I've lived there, exactly one person has slept in my guest bedroom, so no point in paying money for empty space that collects dust. My apartment building has a few 1-BR plans available, but they all have a study room. And its really not a study as it is an open living space between my dining room and bedroom.

In the plan I am most interested in, the space is rather oddly laid out; looks to be about 14 x 9 ft. Currently, I've got a queen bed, small desk, and dresser in my guest room and I was hoping to incorporate some or all these pieces in the study as to not put them in storage. But I do a fair bit of entertaining and am a bit worried about having a bedroom set in the middle of pretty public space. Would having a bed just out like that look tacky, or could I possibly put a temporary folding wall in the room to add some privacy? Are there any ways to dress up a queen bed to make it, well, not look like a bed? I've seen this done on pinterest but it always looks odd. I know nothing about interior design so any tips would be great! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 05:21 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,605,097 times
You will be better off getting rid of the queen and getting a daybed or a daybed/sectional sofa which can double as a place to sleep if you have overnight guests but works as nice seating the rest of the time.

Here's a nice one: Modular Daybed Sofa in Kitchen or Living Room - Slow Sofa

Old 08-11-2015, 05:48 PM

9,361 posts, read 14,111,535 times
Why not put tuck the bed in the corner farthest from the entrance to 9 x 14 space, with the headboard on the 14 ft wall, then hang a curtain on ring clips across the 9ft section to block off the bed. Use metal conduit as a curtain rod if you can't find anything else. Then place a console, desk, bench or some piece of furniture in front of the curtain. Keep the curtain open when you don't have guests if you want, but close it for entertaining. A queen bed is only 5 ft wide so the rest of the space is still useful.

Old 08-11-2015, 06:11 PM

61,726 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Pix or plan of the room would help...

You could get rid of the queen bed, and buy something you could hide when not used.
https://goo.gl/zFeVSe

Last edited by elnina; 08-11-2015 at 06:21 PM..

Old 08-11-2015, 11:29 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
You will be better off getting rid of the queen and getting a daybed or a daybed/sectional sofa which can double as a place to sleep if you have overnight guests but works as nice seating the rest of the time.

Here's a nice one: Modular Daybed Sofa in Kitchen or Living Room - Slow Sofa
This^^^^
Much more versatile- sleeping, sitting, lounging, reading, relaxing...

The other thought was a Murphy Bed. But, due to the "infrequent" overnite guest its not worth the money. Besides, the sofa sectional will probably go "with you" for awhile. A Murphy Bed is only required when space is at a premium, and hopefully that not a life long proposition.

Old 08-12-2015, 08:39 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
I also agree with swapping out the bed for seating that can be used as a bed for the once every year or two someone stays with you. A queen sized bed in the middle of public entertaining space is going to continue to look like a queen size bed.

Old 08-12-2015, 12:58 PM

9,361 posts, read 14,111,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by #1soonerfan View Post
Hey folks,

So I figured I would give this question a go in this forum. To save a bit of money, I am about to downsize..., I've got a queen bed, small desk, and dresser in my guest room and I was hoping to incorporate some or all these pieces in the study as to not put them in storage....
The OP is probably not interested in buying more furniture, and wants to find a way to utilize what he/she already owns.

Old 08-12-2015, 03:04 PM

1,192 posts, read 2,483,704 times
I think a bed in that area would look funny, so I'd just make the area into an office space. I would dismantle the bed, slide the headboard, footboard?, racks, and mirror under your bed. Use the dresser in the office area with a large print over it. The dresser could then serve as an area for mail, a docking station, storage, etc., and use the desk, well, as a desk .

I'd sell the mattress set instead of storing in a regular storage locker. After a while the moisture/dust in those places will make it musty and you'll probably never want to use it again. Plus, the cost of storing it will probably equal what a new set will cost you anyway.

I have stored a queen mattress (top piece only) under a king bed. It takes some doing, but can be done with the right size queen mattress and a king bed that is high off the ground. You could then drag it out to the office area the 1 time a year that you might have company, but I'd just use an air mattress or just let the guest sleep on the sofa. One night on the sofa isn't going to hurt anyone. Maybe you have a friend or family member who could store the other piece inside their home for you.

I understand not wanting to get rid of things that you spent good money on, have used very little, and are still in perfect condition. I stored a square cherry cocktail table in a bedroom closet for about 3 years because I just couldn't bare to part with it. It was up on its end and crammed in there, but it survived, and I eventually pulled it back out and used again.

Old 08-13-2015, 12:57 PM

778 posts, read 2,323,282 times
^
This is what I am leaning towards at the moment. I meant to add I have 2 semi-upholstered chairs that I can add into the space as well.

Sorry, no pics of the room at the moment. I am actually going to take a look at the unit this weekend before I make it official.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
The OP is probably not interested in buying more furniture, and wants to find a way to utilize what he/she already owns.
Yes that was my hope, but if it won't work out then I'll make due.

I probably should have put this in my OP, but I was wondering if anyone every pulled something off like this:

How To Make Queen Bed More Sofa-Like?

Thanks for the suggestions. All good stuff!

Old 08-13-2015, 01:27 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
There were only two photos in that Apartment Therapy post that gave any specifics.

Showhouse Bedroom for Teen Girl - Eclectic - Kids - houston - by Carla Aston | Interior Designer

utopia projects

personally, I don't think either looks "couch-like" - and they certainly wouldn't sit that way, people would have to climb up into them to sit or perch uncomfortably on the edge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating