Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Real wood or wood look tile in master bedroom?
Real wood. 15 57.69%
Wood look tile. 11 42.31%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 02:12 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,942,828 times

Advertisements

Looking to replace the carpet in our master bedroom and closets, narrowed it down to this wood color but trying to decide if we should go with real wood or a wood look tile. The look is virtually the same...positives of the real wood flooring is, well, it's real wood...adds warmth and a different feel when you walk on it. Negatives though are that you have to worry about maintenance (scratching, spilling liquids on it, refinishing) it's considerably more expensive,

Positives of real wood:
• Well, it's real wood...adds warmth and a different feel when you walk on it

Negatives of real wood:
• Maintenance (scratches, refinishing, spilling liquids on it)
• Expansion of the wood (we are not removing the baseboards - and I hate quarter rounds)
• Higher cost ($5.29/sq ft vs $3.29/sq ft)

The tile is basically the opposite for negatives and positives...negatives is that it is colder to the touch, though in Phoenix I think that would be a positive really...we have tile in the rest of the common areas and wouldn't have it any other way.

So? Real or fake wood?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2015, 02:50 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,684,958 times
Personally, I usually go for natural materials. I like the feel of wood underfoot. But I can relate to having to live with design touches that I don't like; in your case quarter rounds. So if that would be an issue for you, then put in the wood tile instead of being irritated by something that you didn't want. IMO.

I do have both in one house (different rooms). Each has its advantages.

Old 09-17-2015, 02:56 PM

1,484 posts, read 3,140,212 times
I'm not that familiar with the installation techniques of each of these so why would only the wood require quarter rounds if you don't remove and replace the base boards?

Old 09-17-2015, 03:29 PM

639 posts, read 971,935 times
you will absolutely want to speak to a floor installer. We're in the process of getting this done, we're doing tile. Wood expands here and as you mentioned baseboards- you need the wood to be under them with a gap to allow for expansion and contraction. Definitely speak to someone who does this for a living - real wood isn't as common here as in other areas of the country for a reason.

Old 09-17-2015, 03:44 PM

773 posts, read 786,528 times
I'm an avid woodworker but would never put down a real wood floor unless it was for a rustic room where the wood was bare and weathered was desired. I've known too many people who can't enjoy themselves because they are worried about their pretty wood floor getting damaged.

20+ years ago I laid down about 800 sq/ft of glue-up Pergo. I made certain all the joints were fully glued and clamped tightly. The stuff was bullet proof. Three dogs, two cats and three kids, with all their associated wear and tear and messes hardly left a scratch. Our Alaskan Malamute left a lake one night. The next morning some had evaporated but none penetrated the floor. I just mopped it up. That was the best flooring ever made. But they don't make it anymore.

Most of the laminate today looks pretty good. I installed some Pergo XP in our kitchen about a year ago but it can't take the beating the original can. I didn't do tile because everything glass that hits the floor shatters into a million pieces.

You need to balance the abuse the floor will get with the maintenance it will require with the cost and then decide. Pretty is great but practical is better, if you plan to live on it.

Old 09-17-2015, 04:10 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,957,148 times
Wood tile is a trend that may lose favor one day. Wood laminate seems to be a better choice as long as it is high quality.

Old 09-17-2015, 04:12 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,957,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy6879 View Post
you will absolutely want to speak to a floor installer. We're in the process of getting this done, we're doing tile. Wood expands here and as you mentioned baseboards- you need the wood to be under them with a gap to allow for expansion and contraction. Definitely speak to someone who does this for a living - real wood isn't as common here as in other areas of the country for a reason.
I have never had expansion issues here. Mine goes directly under the baseboard and the baseboard is actually caulked to the flooring. Going on three years and it still looks great.

Old 09-18-2015, 03:35 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,118,212 times
Properly installed and treated (3 coats of poly) wood floors will hold up just fine. Yes, you want to protect them using felt pads on furniture, etc., but they are very easy to keep up. We have real wood floors in our house and have had no issues with them at all. They were site finished with 3 coats of poly (red oak floors). Pine or softer wood might be an issue though.

As for cost, have you gotten installation prices along with material prices? You might find that the final costs are very similar. If you go with tile, can you put heating in the floor to keep them warmer (especially if you live in a colder climate)??

Old 09-18-2015, 06:40 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Real wood has a sheen and feel to it that tile wood just does not.

However, there is not comparison with maintenance. Wood requires some amount of fuss and bother over the years Tile is more one and done.

What are you up for?

Old 09-18-2015, 10:23 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,937,291 times
I just installed vinyl planks that look like wood. LOVE them! Best thing I ever did. They look great, they are comfortable to walk on and I installed them by myself. They were also very affordable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating