Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 12:33 PM

914 posts, read 1,138,221 times

Advertisements

This is the before pic of the paneling and fireplace with primer on the right hand side, and patching wood putty on the left. It was really dark and dank, so if you like a nice bright room, paint works wonders.
Attached Thumbnails
Your favorite neutral paint color by brand name/color name (preferably grays)-before_pic_fireplace.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 12:43 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,591,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twodoor2 View Post
This is the before pic of the paneling and fireplace with primer on the right hand side, and patching wood putty on the left. It was really dark and dank, so if you like a nice bright room, paint works wonders.
Major improvement !

Old 12-23-2015, 02:16 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twodoor2 View Post
I know this is a blank slate, and I have to get baseboards installed, but I did Sherwin Williams "repose gray" in our new living and dining room areas. Hard wood floors are new. The thing I like about this gray, is that to me, it doesn't clash with the honey oak floors. I got floors to match the existing ones in the kitchen and foyer. I like that it doesn't look greige, and that its a cooler color, but I swear, it looked like a warm muddy color in the color sample I painted on posterboard. Go figure??

I painted over cream colored walls, as its too traditional a paint color for me.
This is quite nice. The cool gray of the walls looks great with the warm tones of the wood. I use gray in my home too. I like it with hardwoods. I think you will like your rooms when you are through doing the painting.

Old 12-23-2015, 09:14 PM

914 posts, read 1,138,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
This is quite nice. The cool gray of the walls looks great with the warm tones of the wood. I use gray in my home too. I like it with hardwoods. I think you will like your rooms when you are through doing the painting.
Thanks!

After painting the living room, dining room, family room and foyer, I just painted four bedrooms this past weekend. I swear, I don't want to look at a paintbrush for while. Pooped!

I used all forms of grayish colors, except my daughter's bedroom, which I used a Sherwin Williams greenish tint called "sagey." It was in her last bedroom, and it is a really nice color for a feminine girly room.

Old 10-28-2016, 09:11 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
Any advice or tips would be helpful. Sherwin Williams had their ceiling paint on sale which I used for all my ceilings because I like a neutral white color in my whites.. it's sold at SW 7007 Ceiling Bright White.

I have for my living room narrowed the choices down to "Agreeable Gray", "Popular Gray", and "Worldly Gray". I have white trim and doors which I never liked but man they look good when I did them properly with sanding/priming/etc. so the color will contrast the trim but still I don't want a really dark paint color.

For the master bedroom I had narrowed down to "Sleepy Blue", which against the wall looks like it might be too dark and/or blue for my tastes. I also have "Upward" and "North Star" with me and either of them looks like they might work better for me than the sleepy blue.

For a second bedroom I had "Copen Blue" picked out but think I might like "Sea Salt" or "Pearl Gray" a bit more... too much green in the copen blue.

The carpeting is going to be this mid quality carpeting that actually looks more grey than in the picture on the site and works well with a variety of grey, beige, and blue colors.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/STAINMASTER...arpet/50151444

Any other suggestions for light, neutral colors would be appreciated. I have yet to read the thread and will get around to it! No accent walls by the way.

I'm going sherwin williams because when on sale the Cashmere paint is signicantly less money than Ben Moore's stuff and works just fine, so if you can use sherwin williams colors it would be helpful. All walls were primed with oil based kilz after sanding down high spots and Spackle work.

I should add I want to avoid anything that resembles a puke yellow, brown or faded yellow look which to me would be colors like SW Macadamia, SW Universal Khaki, SW Urban Putty which were recommended in another thread. Accessible Beige is about as yellow/brown of a beige as I'd want to go, and Comfort Grey is already sitting here in my deck o cards as a possible choice for a bedroom.

Last edited by sholomar; 10-28-2016 at 10:22 AM..

Old 10-28-2016, 09:29 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,938,904 times
I used the Sherwin WIlliams online palettes for help. I went with the Coastal Cool collection just because I knew those colors would work well together. I didn't use all of the colors. I also used SnowBound on my trim work b/c I happened to have that on hand.

All of my floors are a variation of dark brown (similar to the carpet you posted). I used Sea Salt in my bedroom. I *love* that color. Accessible Beige for bathrooms. The other bedrooms are Watery. For the living spaces, I used Comfort Gray. I'm about to tackle the kitchen and thinking of using Sea Salt there b/c I adore that color so much. All of the colors really do work well together.

Accessible Beige and Comfort Gray are very popular neutrals in my area (I spend too much time in Sherwin Williams and ask the paint guys there).

Old 10-29-2016, 10:27 AM

Most of my wall colors are grays. But I chose them because they work well with my furnishings, and because they looked good in the light. At one point, I was going to use a darker gray in my kitchen, but realized that it would too dark during the long overcast winter season of the PNW.

My fave of the five colors I used is Benjamin Moore's Moonshine. I used it in the darker front hall, and in one adjoining bedroom. But I actually like it the least of all the colors on the wall. It looks fine, blending with other wall colors when it meets them. But for some reason, I am less satisfied with it.

Another favorite color is Ben Moore's Vale Mist. As I used it in another house, it had a foggy gray look. I used it in this house in a sunny bath, and it looks green!

So, all this to say--one should choose color for specific sites. Here are Ben Moore gray tones I used in my house four years ago:

Hot Springs Stones
Moonshine
Nimbus Gray

I regret to say I cannot remember the name of the gray I selected for my kitchen and guest bath.

Old 10-29-2016, 10:38 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,285,400 times
I just painted my living-dining room in Benjamin Moore Edgecomb Gray. I like it quite a bit. It is more of a "greige" though, not so much true gray. I like a warmer tone, so silvery grays or gunmetal grays are not really me. I painted my hallway in Rockport Gray (also Benjamin Moore), it is a darker brown-gray and provides a nice accent to the Edgecomb, I think. With both colors I painted my trim Super White, which helps the wall colors really pop.

Old 10-29-2016, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNashua View Post
I just painted my living-dining room in Benjamin Moore Edgecomb Gray. I like it quite a bit. It is more of a "greige" though, not so much true gray. I like a warmer tone, so silvery grays or gunmetal grays are not really me. I painted my hallway in Rockport Gray (also Benjamin Moore), it is a darker brown-gray and provides a nice accent to the Edgecomb, I think. With both colors I painted my trim Super White, which helps the wall colors really pop.
It sounds lovely.

Old 10-30-2016, 08:38 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
In my home office I used Valspar 'Silver Leaf', it's a very light grey with a slight lavender tint (depending on the lighting), worked well with white cabinets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating