Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2015, 02:23 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightup7 View Post
Thanks everyone for your valuable suggestion. Ideally I would love to change my sofa too but I dont have the budget for it so i have to work with what I have. I am going for a little lighter tone for walls similar to Titanium 2141-60 Paint.

I agree with all of you that it really lacks colour and life. I will be adding colourful wall art.

I also dont like these drapes and carpet which i will be replacing after i finish changing paint. For drapes and carpet what colours do you suggest would go well with my furniture?
Well, I'd chose the wall color, the rug color and the drapes color at the same time, so you know everything will coordinate. You might choose a slightly darker shade of the wall color for the drapes, and put some color in the rug. You can use the accent colors shown on the titanium color page I linked to before for ideas about accent colors. The red shown there really looks good to me for your furniture. I think a little white would also be appropriate, or if not white, then a very, very light aqua.

Heavy drapes are not as stylish as they once were. You might even be OK with lightweight curtains.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2015, 04:12 PM

914 posts, read 1,136,410 times
Before you paint, try the decorative accessories first, and new drapes (a light linen would look pretty in there). How does it look during the day with lots of light coming in? You don't want to go through the trouble of painting if all you need is something colorful. I think some periwinkle, magenta, or royal purple in there would be lovely, or some pale blue. You could do red if you're daring, as in the carpet. Some Oriental carpets have lovely deep magenta red in them that isn't super bright. I had some bright red area rugs in my house, but I think the Victorian Style doesn't call for something like that. My home had more contemporary furniture. Try a vase of magenta/purple flowers and see how that even looks.

Old 11-10-2015, 04:51 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,564,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
"White" (trim) should be "decorator off white" or a similar very very slightly off white that, if anything, addresses the other colors. Never use pure white or "white."
Is that BM paint?

Old 11-11-2015, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
Is that BM paint?
All paint companies do many white hues. You can find comparable whites with any company. I, personally, do like B. Moor colors and quality.

Old 11-12-2015, 12:49 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by straightup7 View Post
I need to decide on paint colour scheme for my living room, dinning area and hall way that will go well with the furniture fabric colour but i am really not good with deciding on paint colours.

I am also painting baseboard and crown and I am thinking of white. What do you think?

Currently I have two tones in my living room which is china rose (which i dont like) and dark hardwood floor with dark chocolate brown furniture. (furniture fabric is something like mud green)

What paint colour do you guys think would compliment my furniture as well as easy to work with as i would have to paint dinning area, stair wall and hallway same colour. I am really confused and I dont want to pick something and regret

I like the colors you have now, but those drapes behind the couch are too heavy and look like a shower curtain,

I would really appreciate any help that you can provide.
I like the colors you have now, but those drapes behind the couch are too heavy and look like a shower curtain, In your pics everything looks like gray tones.

Old 12-04-2015, 01:48 PM

4 posts, read 6,850 times
So I am back with an update

Paint is done and everything looks so clean and I love the new paint colour. My camera is showing pink tint i am not sure why but its more of a beige than pink. (I am still figuring out how to post pics so please see attachments)

I have bought a console table to go with my mirror and this is what I was working on last night I will hang it 5" above the chair railing. I feel the wall is so big and empty even after hanging this mirror. How should i decorate my walls. All my walls are empty right now. Place above fireplace, dinning area wall stair wall, foyer wall.

Attached Thumbnails
Wall Paint Colour Suggestion-entrance-2.jpg   Wall Paint Colour Suggestion-fireplace-copy-2-.jpg   Wall Paint Colour Suggestion-dinning-area-wall-copy-copy.jpg   Wall Paint Colour Suggestion-area-below-stairs.jpg   Wall Paint Colour Suggestion-stairwall-copy.jpg  

Old 12-04-2015, 05:17 PM

Everything is so much brighter! Good job!

Old 12-05-2015, 07:40 AM

914 posts, read 1,136,410 times
Everything still looks very monotone to me, despite the new paint color. You still need pops of color, as many suggested here, and I noticed you didn't get any of them. I actually prefer the lower paint color to be different than the top of the rail molding, as it adds interest and a level of formality that goes with the Victorian style. It also brings out the molding more. If you wanted it brighter, I would have painted the areas below the chair rail, a white. Now the whole wall is the same color. I would still change out the curtains, as they blend in even more now with the paint color. You want the curtains and accents to pop. I'm sorry that you painted everything, but I would have done it like this to be honest, since you wanted advice/suggestions The color that you painted the top could go inside the square molding below the chair rail molding.

Last edited by twodoor2; 12-05-2015 at 07:51 AM..

Old 12-06-2015, 09:34 PM

I always recommend buying great art for your walls. And with your refreshed white walls, I think you have a blank canvas, so to speak. Find things that you love, and hang them. Also, you might invest a colorful carpet for your living area. What is your favorite color? Put some of that in there in art and carpet. Your room is going to be very pretty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating