Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 07:57 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times

Advertisements

If you know any Realtors you might ask them. A lot have go-to people for work to be done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2015, 09:28 PM

914 posts, read 1,138,221 times
I had one contractor sales rep come over today from a larger kitchen remodeling company. They kept lowering their estimate, like four times, until they gave me one price where I could sign on the dotted line, or the price would go away that night. They have a B rating on the BBB.org, so I was a bit leary. Not a lot of complaints, but 4. The price was about 10 to 20K less than I had anticipated, and with a little sweat equity, I could save even more. I don't know, but should I run? Is this normal for contractor quotes? This was a contractor that they hired to conduct sales.

Old 12-07-2015, 10:17 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,938,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twodoor2 View Post
I had one contractor sales rep come over today from a larger kitchen remodeling company. They kept lowering their estimate, like four times, until they gave me one price where I could sign on the dotted line, or the price would go away that night. They have a B rating on the BBB.org, so I was a bit leary. Not a lot of complaints, but 4. The price was about 10 to 20K less than I had anticipated, and with a little sweat equity, I could save even more. I don't know, but should I run? Is this normal for contractor quotes? This was a contractor that they hired to conduct sales.
No way. I've never had estimates that are only good for a few hours---that's just a sleazy sales tactic to try to pressure you to sign. I'd definitely pass on this.

I'm trying to think if I've ever had an estimate expire---I don't think so. Sometimes I think about things for a few weeks.

Old 12-07-2015, 10:17 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,994,516 times
[quote=twodoor2;42205384]I had one contractor sales rep come over today from a larger kitchen remodeling company. They kept lowering their estimate, like four times, until they gave me one price where I could sign on the dotted line, or the price would go away that night. They have a B rating on the BBB.org, so I was a bit leary. Not a lot of complaints, but 4. The price was about 10 to 20K less than I had anticipated, and with a little sweat equity, I could save even more. I don't know, but should I run? Is this normal for contractor quotes? This was a contractor that they hired to conduct sales.[/QUOTE

Ugh....that's not the way to conduct business.

This is the way we handled kitchens.

Meet with homeowner. Measure kitchen and adjoining space. Check out current electrical panel, etc.

Talk to HO about needs and wants.

Provide cabinetry brochures. Explain the differences in quality from one line to another. Sometimes, you can't go with stock sizes, so it will eliminate some manufacturers. When we redid my mother's kitchen.....and it was a doozy, I had to eliminate several manufacturers because they did not make as many widths of cabinetry as others. Nor would they do custom sizes.

Get ballpark budget.

See......I can show you 3 different pictures of kitchens. They look almost identical......and that's just it...........LOOK is the operative word.

Our final contract with the HO specified exactly what was going into the new kitchen: make, model, color, etc. Work hours, brush clean at the end of every day. You name it, it was in the contract.

We provided numerous layouts and 3-D plans.

We'd set up appointments with our suppliers so HO's could pick out cabinets, hardware, flooring, tile, appliances - everything.

And don't forget the fun stuff: permits, demo fees, dump fees, etc.

Only when the HO's had selected exactly what they wanted, did we provide a quotation. If it was higher than they anticipated, we made suggestions as to what they could change to save money.

Old 12-08-2015, 03:53 AM

[quote=ocngypz;42205833]
Quote:
I had one contractor sales rep come over today from a larger kitchen remodeling company. They kept lowering their estimate, like four times, until they gave me one price where I could sign on the dotted line, or the price would go away that night. They have a B rating on the BBB.org, so I was a bit leary. Not a lot of complaints, but 4. The price was about 10 to 20K less than I had anticipated, and with a little sweat equity, I could save even more. I don't know, but should I run? Is this normal for contractor quotes? This was a contractor that they hired to conduct sales.[/QUOTE

Meet with homeowner. Measure kitchen and adjoining space. Check out current electrical panel, etc.

Provide cabinetry brochures. Explain the differences in quality from one line to another. Sometimes, you can't go with stock sizes, so it will eliminate some manufacturers. When we redid my mother's kitchen.....and it was a doozy, I had to eliminate several manufacturers because they did not make as many widths of cabinetry as others. Nor would they do custom sizes.

Get ballpark budget.

See......I can show you 3 different pictures of kitchens. They look almost identical......and that's just it...........LOOK is the operative word.

Our final contract with the HO specified exactly what was going into the new kitchen: make, model, color, etc. Work hours, brush clean at the end of every day. You name it, it was in the contract.

We'd set up appointments with our suppliers so HO's could pick out cabinets, hardware, flooring, tile, appliances - everything.

Only when the HO's had selected exactly what they wanted, did we provide a quotation. If it was higher than they anticipated, we made suggestions as to what they could change to save money.
Wow, it sounds like you had lots of cabinet options. Another thing that bugged me was the fact that I want white shaker style cabinets, and this company only had ONE style, and one company making them. He could only show me a single door, and that wasn't enough for me to make a decision. I didn't like the fact that the frame had a 45 degree angle on the inside edges that touch the center panel, and not a 90 degree one like a true shaker. I could see some glue on the inside where the frame met the panel, and there was too large a gap as well, and I think I saw a tiny chip in the paint on one of the corners. It was solid maple he said, but I felt the workmanship was shoddy even though they're American made. I don't need solid wood cabinets either, so I had to either take them or leave them. While solid wood is nice, it would have been nice to see some cost saving options, after all these are painted.

It was really crazy how all the options were limited, from countertops to tile backsplash, to sinks, etc. . .

Now I don't have a huge kitchen, it's more medium sized, but I do have lots of electrical, plumbing work that needs to be rerouted, and I need can lights, and some structural changes to a load bearing beam to remove an ugly soffit. He told me that once the cabinets came in, it would take two weeks to finish the remodel. I thought something like this would take much longer???

He didn't have extra brochures to give me either, so I was handed nothing.

Old 12-08-2015, 05:56 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,994,516 times
I wouldn't do business with him. Clueless.

Look for a Design/Build General Contractor. They commonly build custom homes and do full/partial house remodeling.

Interview them. Ask for professional references and client testimonials.

Ask realtors for referrals. Find copies of the local "Home" magazines. Real local home sale listings for properties with fairly recent major kitchen remodels......they'll feature the names on quality work.

No work should start until all cabinets have been delivered and inspected.

Old 12-08-2015, 09:32 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Hire this company. But I'm guessing they are nowhere near you.

This is what we just went through for two bathrooms and a kitchen. Describes it to a tee. If you were in Las Vegas I could give you a recommended builder.

[quote=ocngypz;42205833]
Quote:
I had one contractor sales rep come over today from a larger kitchen remodeling company. They kept lowering their estimate, like four times, until they gave me one price where I could sign on the dotted line, or the price would go away that night. They have a B rating on the BBB.org, so I was a bit leary. Not a lot of complaints, but 4. The price was about 10 to 20K less than I had anticipated, and with a little sweat equity, I could save even more. I don't know, but should I run? Is this normal for contractor quotes? This was a contractor that they hired to conduct sales.[/QUOTE

Get ballpark budget.

Old 12-08-2015, 10:00 PM

I have another company coming over tomorrow again to ascertain the structural issues with the support beam that is located in the soffit that I want to remove. This is the same company that I mentioned at the start of this thread with absolutely no online reviews. They have an A+ bbb.org rating however. The thing with them is that they're not very technology forward. The owner still owns a flip phone and they don't do a 3D computer generated design. It's two old guys who are the sales people, and all drawings, like a blueprint. How am I supposed to "see" what I like without a computer generated 3d model? The plus side is that they have a large selection of cabinets, and companies.

. . . we'll see. I'm still obtaining quotes and looking for companies to do this job. I would like a one stop shop where I can get the design, cabinets and contractors all in one place. I don't have wish to be project manager.

Old 12-08-2015, 10:28 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,018,615 times
Don't EVER hire a contractor that tells you to "sign immediately, or the price goes away forever". Especially if they mess around for an hour doing an "estimate", the first number thrown out is like TWICE everybody else's, and then they keep lowering it hoping you'll say yes.

Old 12-09-2015, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
Don't EVER hire a contractor that tells you to "sign immediately, or the price goes away forever". Especially if they mess around for an hour doing an "estimate", the first number thrown out is like TWICE everybody else's, and then they keep lowering it hoping you'll say yes.
Well the price they gave me was pretty darn good, I thought I was going to be paying at least 20k more. I went to a highly rated showroom and told them my kitchen size and they said to expect to spend at least 50k on a medium sized kitchen. and even then I won't get every thing I want.

I just got turned off by the fact that the company doesn't have high ratings and hardly any options. I also noticed that he showed me a picture of all their awards and rating designations, and one of them showed an A+ rating with the bbb, however they're current bbb rating is only a B. That bugged me. It's misleading and another sleazy sales tactic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating