Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 04:01 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,577,103 times

Advertisements

I'm currently living in a studio apartment that is laid out a lot like a hotel room; in fact, I'm pretty sure it was once a hotel room at one point, but they offer a month-to-month lease for a little over $500 per month including utilities, so it's a decent price place that successfully meets most of my needs.

The décor, though, is getting a little boring. They did have this whole space decorated like a bedroom, complete with a queen-sized bed that was on the firm side. I had that removed and moved in two decent-sized sofa beds. The "bed" part of the sofa beds is falling apart, though, so I really could stand to get rid of one of these sofa beds and maybe get a bunk bed (in case I move in a roommate; it's legal and there are local universities, so finding a college student who needs a room has not proven to be that difficult. Retaining said college student more than a few months, though, and getting her share of the rent on time, well, that's another issue.)

Here is a brief description of the room, walk in the door, there is a sofa bed, folded, directly to your left by the wall. To the right is pretty much blank space, except for a little of the dresser. Walk a little further, and you will reach an end table and a sofa bed, unfolded, also to your right. Across from it is the rest of aforementioned dresser. A little further down is the chest freezer that I've been using for a kitchen counter and food storage unit; I think there is something wrong with the refrigerator, so I haven't been using it and have been storing all of my perishable food in the freezer. Across from it is a kitchen table, about the width of a card table. Across from the kitchen table is a small partition setting it apart from the kitchenette area. Further down from the kitchenette area is the bathroom, a separate room, and the closet and sink area.

I think I know what I want to do. I want to visually break the space into a small bedroom area and a living room area. I have no need of a dining room and can take my meals in the kitchenette area, using the chest freezer as a makeshift table. I plan to move the actual dining room table out, because I have no room for a dining room, and it is just taking up space in the bedroom / living room.

I'm not sure what to do about the dresser, though, because it is also the TV table and computer workspace, although I really do most of my work on my laptop. I've thought about moving it to the space I'm going to designate as my bedroom, but it's rather large; I'm not sure it would fit. Plus, that would leave blank space in the new bedroom area.

If there is anyone who has an idea of what I might be able to do to keep from coming home to an eyesore every day, please let me know. This boring décor drains my energy and kills my motivation to keep the place presentable.

Also, unless the policy has changed, I'm free to decorate the room any way I want, within certain weight restriction limits. Of course, I can't knock down walls or anything, but I'm free to move and replace furniture with prior consent.

Last edited by krmb; 12-07-2015 at 04:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2015, 04:04 AM

4,934 posts, read 3,309,602 times
Lots of ideas at Apartments & Condos

Old 12-09-2015, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerys52SoSilver View Post
Lots of ideas at Apartments & Condos

Really,

It looks like I should consider moving all of the furniture out and getting a bedroom set from Ikea or something.

The dresser is too chunky, and things aren't laid out the way I want. Is it weird to be almost thirty and like sleeping on bunk beds?

Old 12-09-2015, 05:13 PM

388 posts, read 473,702 times
Christopher Lowell is great at creating living / sleeping areas in studio apts.

Here's a 12 minute video that's one of my favorites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSlLJc8XYXE

Instead of a board to divide the bedroom/living areas, you could use a bookcase with shelves facing the bed. Don't forget to weight the bottom shelves so it doesn't fall over!

Old 12-09-2015, 05:26 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,597,909 times
You could go full-on Japanese and do shoji screens to divide space and floor futons for sleeping that you roll up in the morning and set to the side of the room.

Old 12-09-2015, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by profnot View Post
Christopher Lowell is great at creating living / sleeping areas in studio apts.

Here's a 12 minute video that's one of my favorites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSlLJc8XYXE

Instead of a board to divide the bedroom/living areas, you could use a bookcase with shelves facing the bed. Don't forget to weight the bottom shelves so it doesn't fall over!

That does give me some ideas, but take away too much walking space, and I might as well be in an RV, and I don't like the amount of living space in an RV. I need more than 18 inches of walking space, but I still love some of those decorating suggestions.

What do you think I would need? I want to divide the room into four small spaces; bathroom, kitchenette and dining area, living room, and bedroom. Right now, the kitchenette and the living room kind of blend into each other.

Old 12-11-2015, 05:21 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,524,829 times
A Murphy bed with a mirror on it would be great. They use them frequently in lodge suites at ski areas.

Old 12-11-2015, 10:38 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
.. Is it weird to be almost thirty and like sleeping on bunk beds?
Um, yes, it is.

OP, you are almost 30, you live in a studio apartment, and you would seriously consider getting a college student as a roommate? That is very bizarre too ...

But more to your questions ... can you post a floor plan or photo(s) of what the place looks like now? Floor plans are really useful.

Old 12-12-2015, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Um, yes, it is.

OP, you are almost 30, you live in a studio apartment, and you would seriously consider getting a college student as a roommate? That is very bizarre too ...

But more to your questions ... can you post a floor plan or photo(s) of what the place looks like now? Floor plans are really useful.
I'm a big kid, but I do see the difference between me and 20 year olds. I guess I like being the older and "wiser" person around to advise.

Attached is a picture of the layout. It should be super simple to decorate, but I guess sometimes I have very little imagination.

The bed, though, has been replaced by two sofa beds, and the dining room table has been moved closer to the kitchen. Other than that, it's pretty similar to the floor plan in the photo, except there is no island; the kitchen kind of just fades into the living room.
Attached Thumbnails
Making a hotel room feel more like home-fp_128639243105885120460025075009010.jpg  

Old 12-12-2015, 07:01 AM

I think this is pretty close to the actual room layout, but the items are not drawn to scale. I don't really have enough room for both a living room and a bedroom, and I didn't like having the bed out all day, so I replaced it with two sofa beds, but that, of course, is taking up more floor space than I had hoped. I may replace one of the sofa beds with a daybed and trundle in the corner.

There is also a huge dresser that takes up a good portion of the floor space (it came with the room). When the sofa bed closest to the dining room is extended, it takes up almost all of the walking room and almost touches the dresser. There isn't a lot of room between the dresser and bed.
Attached Thumbnails
Making a hotel room feel more like home-approximate-layout.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating