Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 09:04 AM

842 posts, read 3,229,165 times

Advertisements

Lots of houses around here seem to have a Living room and Familiy room and Bonus room. This seems like alot of rooms that serve basically the same purpose.

Just curious....of those who actually have all of these rooms in their house, do you put them all to good use? Or do one or two of them end up being dust collectors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2007, 09:08 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,031,981 times
We have all three.........family room has the couch, love seat, tv, etc It is where we spend most of our time when we are downstairs. The "living room", well, it has the kids art table and that kind of stuff........but a number of people like to have a "formal living area" where their nicer furniture is. I have friend who have turned the formal into a library with built in bookcases and cozy chairs.

Our bonus room has: big screen tv, two couches, computer desk and work out equipment. Generally, the bonus rooms I have seen have either all of the kids toys, or the big tv area.

Leigh

Old 02-19-2007, 09:49 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,187,903 times
The living room holds the Christmas tree once a year and strollers the rest of the year, the family room is our main room where we spend most of our time with the tv etc and the bonus room is the kids' playroom with a tv and most of their toys, a slide, etc. All are put to use but only 2 of the 3 are good use.

Old 02-19-2007, 11:50 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,223,319 times
We have all three as well (plus a game room).....

Family room opens up to the kitchen and eat in area, thats our main living area downstairs. Living room has a small library and piano where the kids practice for about 2 mins a day and the bonus room is the kids playroom with all the toys/games, TV for the kids etc.

We also opted for a game room over our family room instead of a 2 story family room, we turned this into an exercise room.

Old 02-23-2007, 07:42 PM

21 posts, read 123,380 times
Our family room opens up to the kitchen. We put seating and our TV in the family room. So this is the big area where our family usually gathers for food, watching TV, my daughter will do her homework on the kitchen Island.

Our living room opens up to the dining room. Apart from Sofa, coffee table (with checker games), and other seating, I have also set up a bar table with stools in the the living room. So when we have party, some people like to gather around kitchen and the family room. Some others (usually some quieter crowd) like to gather in the living room around the bar table area, drinking/chatting or playing board games.

I have some exercise machines and another TV in the bonus room. Kids player in here and sometimes we sing Karaoke in there. It is also the sleepover place for my daugher and her friends.

Old 02-23-2007, 07:57 PM

959 posts, read 4,492,893 times
We use our family room for the TV, couches, and computers b/c we like to be in the same room whether we're reading, on our computers, or watching a show. We don't do formal rooms so our formal dining room is a library/office and our formal living room is a playroom. We have a loft upstairs and that has a couch and the childrens' books. It's where we get the kids ready for bed at night, and then read stories together. Kids have a lot of stuff so the more rooms the better It really depends on what you have A bonus room upstairs could be a guest room, or library, or theater.

Old 02-23-2007, 09:33 PM

207 posts, read 1,088,663 times
Family room = Big screen hdtv, comfortable sectional sofa seating, surround sound, etc...

Living Room = Baby grand piano, grandfather clock, nice bookcases, more formal leather seating areas, etc...

Bonus Room = power rack and other weight and exercise related equipment...

All are used regularly...family room to watch tv and entertain...living room is more of a reading area, where I read the newspaper and books etc...bonus room is where I stay diesel...

Old 02-24-2007, 06:22 AM

237 posts, read 1,029,414 times
We dont have a living room and can't say I miss it. Had one in my house up north. Now we have family room which is open to kitchen. This is where we spend our time watching tv, ect. Bonus room is basically "kids land'.....tv, computer, play station, etc. Nice having their "stuff" out of view and not where I like to relax. I found our living room in our old house was just a place to put stuff or as I like to say "where the in laws would sit at family functions"!!!!!

Old 02-24-2007, 06:32 AM

40 posts, read 160,054 times
If anyone could share their picture of these three rooms?
I personally never heard about this, b/c probably I never lived in the house yet, just in apparts. But this year we are going to move in a house, so we'd like to see what is looks like. I personally would like to have the big office in one of them, etc... so quite interesting to have an idea. Thank you in advance.

Old 02-24-2007, 07:00 AM

28 posts, read 81,887 times
I want to have a bar room, a gym and a regular living room. can someone hook me up. a hot tub or pool would be good too.

Remember there are not many homes with basements here... that is where the bonus rooms come from. Personally I think it is much better having lived in my parents' basement for some time during college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary