Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2016, 08:24 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,800,222 times

Advertisements

I have been working with a well rated local construction company on getting a new entry door. I have finally purchased a Therma Tru entry door with a side lite. It comes as a pre hung unit with a sill and is stain grade. I will be purchasing and installing the door hardware myself. I asked for a quote for the install. The quote request was for the staining of the door( I have purchased the stain) and the install of the pre hung unit. The quote I received was $1,800. At a labor rate of 75.00 per hour. They quoted that it would take 24 hours to install this pre hung door. This seems way over quoted. What am I missing here. Are they charging me time for the friggin stain to dry between coats or what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2016, 08:53 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,938,955 times
Something tells me they are giving you a high price because they have plenty of other bigger jobs and don't want to mess with it for $300-400...or maybe they just thought you were dumb?

Old 01-28-2016, 09:44 PM

366 posts, read 944,432 times
Location makes a big difference. That being said, I paid less than that for a Provia pre-hung steel door. I kind of feel like I overpaid, but the installation was tricky - of the 3 quotes, I was only confident in one of them.

Eddie is correct about the job scope. They probably have a minimum nominal profit they want to earn on any one job. The smaller the job, the bigger the profit margin they'll accept.

Old 01-28-2016, 10:00 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
This type of question continually comes up on this forum and it's always the same whine.

Most times the quoted price is probably within "industry standards" for that particular geographic region. Those that are OBVIOUSLY out of whack are just that- out of whack! A little common sense goes a long way (one quote is not a job done).

In most cases there's never enough "complete" information; a lack of understanding in what is involved in completing the project, and the TOTAL costs that a contractor has to pay to operate a business.

As has been previously mentioned several times before most "out of whack" quotes have an underlying statement- "I don't want your work; but if you're willing to pay this outrageous price, I'm willing to do the work".

So, OP what's the size of the unit? What's the exterior cladding of the house? What type of trim is on the interior? Is the wall this unit is going in standard 2X4 or 2X6 framing? What is the flooring and subflooring? Is the unit under roof or directly exposed to weather? There's probably a few others that could ultimately be determining factors in the pricing AND labor.

I've done a few unit replacements- there were no set prices. Each case was different, one required little additional work/materials. My worse case was a combination of rot AND termite damage- the whole 10' wall section had to be rebuilt from top plate to bottom plate.

Old 01-29-2016, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
This type of question continually comes up on this forum and it's always the same whine.

Most times the quoted price is probably within "industry standards" for that particular geographic region. Those that are OBVIOUSLY out of whack are just that- out of whack! A little common sense goes a long way (one quote is not a job done).

In most cases there's never enough "complete" information; a lack of understanding in what is involved in completing the project, and the TOTAL costs that a contractor has to pay to operate a business.

As has been previously mentioned several times before most "out of whack" quotes have an underlying statement- "I don't want your work; but if you're willing to pay this outrageous price, I'm willing to do the work".

So, OP what's the size of the unit? What's the exterior cladding of the house? What type of trim is on the interior? Is the wall this unit is going in standard 2X4 or 2X6 framing? What is the flooring and subflooring? Is the unit under roof or directly exposed to weather? There's probably a few others that could ultimately be determining factors in the pricing AND labor.

I've done a few unit replacements- there were no set prices. Each case was different, one required little additional work/materials. My worse case was a combination of rot AND termite damage- the whole 10' wall section had to be rebuilt from top plate to bottom plate.
lol...whine? So you are an experienced builder. Cool. How about helping me out here and leading me to some info on what the "industry standard" might be in my area. I am in Salem Oregon. Here is why I am confused. Their estimator came out months ago to look at my current door, sized it up and gave me a rough verbal estimate of 500 dollars for the install. Now I receive a quote for over three times that. My house has not changed in the time since. The trim is the same trim. The door is the same and it is in the same location it was when they came out to size up my door. Now if they are not interested in the job then just tell me it is too small and not worth their effort and I will keep looking, no hurt feelings. Now seriously you as a builder know this industry better than I so what is your best estimate for a pre hung door in 2X6 construction under an over hang that is shielded from the weather? Best case scenario with everything going well......Three full eight hour days?

OK... let me add to this some back history since I just pulled up their original emailed quote from months ago. I wanted to have my door and sidelight replaced for security reasons. Both have a lot of glass and I wanted something more secure. Their original idea was to eliminate the existing side light. Then they wanted to remove the existing sidelight, frame the area to receive the new door, install sheathing, insulation and siding. Drywall the interior, tape and paint to match existing interior then install a door I provided. That quote was for $1,995 How is it a "whine" to ask how the quote goes from that to $1,800. Only 200 dollars less to hang a pre hung unit with a side lite rather than building an entire section of wall to accept a door that has no side lite? Keep in mind I already have the door, bought and paid for.

Last edited by cargoman; 01-29-2016 at 08:30 AM..

Old 01-29-2016, 08:20 AM

277 posts, read 291,718 times
I just had a sliding glass door removed and French doors installed.
Prehung. One guy, three hours. I painted and installed the trim myself.
$2400.00 for the door including installation.

Old 01-30-2016, 08:04 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
A verbal quote is nothing! If it's not on paper it doesn't exist- period.

And again, you have expressed "one" quote. And again I say, get AT LEAST 3 quotes. Then with that information in hand, make an educated decision based on the information before you.

This doesn't include painting- a single sidelite exterior door prehung unit can be replaced within a 3hr window(2 man crew) (provided there are no hidden "secrets" that will require additional work/materials). Caulking/staining/painting is the better part of a day. Additional coats/finishes another day.

Old 01-30-2016, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
A verbal quote is nothing! If it's not on paper it doesn't exist- period.

And again, you have expressed "one" quote. And again I say, get AT LEAST 3 quotes. Then with that information in hand, make an educated decision based on the information before you.

This doesn't include painting- a single sidelite exterior door prehung unit can be replaced within a 3hr window(2 man crew) (provided there are no hidden "secrets" that will require additional work/materials). Caulking/staining/painting is the better part of a day. Additional coats/finishes another day.
Thank you for that info. Your estimate about the time appears about on par with what I have discovered during my research. And yes, I have begun to look for other estimates from other contractors so to better compare offers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating