Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 07:48 PM

261 posts, read 1,217,100 times

Advertisements

We are shopping and comparing reclining chairs and sofas. No compromise criteria includes that the furniture must be leather, made in the USA and comfortable. I was very happy to find a number of Furniture makers who manufacture here in this country. We settled on Omnia brand, made in Chino, CA.

During a trip to Furniture Land South, we happened upon a display of Ekornes Stressless recliners. OMG! Now I can't stand to sit in anything else. This furniture is made in Norway, is very contemporary looking (not really my style) and supremely, divinely comfortable. The price is absolutely shockingly expensive.

I have extreme back problems stemming from breaking my back as a child. Pain is a daily companion. The Ekornes recliners were originally designed for people with back issues which explains the uncommon comfort I felt sitting in these chairs. I'm really considering this furniture despite it not being made in this country (I try to keep all my large purchases aimed toward products made in this country in an effort to do a small part toward helping fellow Americans keep jobs), and despite the fact the design is more contemporary than my tastes usually run.

Does anyone have personal experience with this furniture? Is the comfort factor truly worth the steep price? Any experiences would be welcomed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 07:14 AM

1 posts, read 40,038 times
Smile Hi HappyNC Girl!

My husband and I actually own 2 Stressless pieces - a recliner and a sofa. We LOVE them. When we first bought our house, we made the mistake of buying a cheap loveseat from a local retailer. It was NOT comfortable and we never sat in it. We ended up actually hating it because we felt like it was a waste of money. We bought the Stressless sofa first and, although it was expensive, it was well worth the money! We sit in it every night and love it. (I actually don’t know if I can truly express how much we L-O-V-E it!) We can watch tv for hours and recline comfortably. We really like that when we recline, the headrest moves forward so our necks are supported when we are watching tv. And you don’t need a pillow behind your head! My mom, who has had back problems her whole life, just visited and was raving about it too!

We bought a recliner a little while after and use that for reading. Our sofa and recliner is more contemporary, but we noticed when we were looking that they had some traditionally styled furniture too. We were worried about leather furniture with our dog, Maggie, (she is 60 lbs.) but she lays on the sofa every day and we have no visible scratches. Plus, when we were researching our new furniture, we saw that some people have even had their Stressless for 20 years! When has a cheaper recliner ever lasted that long? Not one we ever had anyway.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:46 AM

261 posts, read 1,217,100 times
Smile Thanks for sharing...

Thanks so much for sharing your eperience with Ekornes. We ordered a recliner loveseat and two recliners, and can't wait til they get here!

Old 08-27-2009, 03:27 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,023,642 times
I love my ekornes chair. I also used to sell ekornes and can tell you that they are a high quality made chair. they are the only recliner that when you recline your eyes still stay at eye level. in a lazy boy or other recliner you recline and your eyes are looking at the ceiling. when you recline in an ekornes the inner frame pushes up to meet and support your body. it is ergonomicly correct. I do think they are worth the money. they have at least 10 to 20 styles some of the styles come in a small, med. and large size, so it is best to try the chair out for a good fit. they are also doing the chairs in microsuede. if it makes you feel any better they do have factories in the us where they put the chairs together with parts from norway. you will love your new furniture

Old 09-07-2009, 12:17 AM

1 posts, read 39,495 times
I'm 6'0 180 lb. I'm looking for a sofa and unless something else comes up, I'm leaning toward the Stressless Pegasus sofa, which is the same as the Space except for the armrests and base. Trying to figure out if the Large is better than Medium. The difference is about 3 inches in seat width only. Medium seems like it has a little more firmness/support because the support bars are closer together. But the large may be more practical. It's a specialty sofa, you can't really sit in the middle of where each section comes together, you pretty much need to be centered to use it properly. Laying down feels ok I guess so far. I guess not the right sofa for getting frisky on date night.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:01 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
Spouse has a Pegasus recliner, and considers it to be the best comfy chair ever. We found it on sale for a freak $500 price; he says it's worth far more than that.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:15 AM

2 posts, read 40,753 times
Mitchells Home Studio in Chapel Hill has a large selection of Ekornes to view and try out. They are very easy to work with and are currently running a floor sample sale.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:17 AM

1 posts, read 37,118 times
Default Be careful with Ekornes

[FONT=Courier New][SIZE=3]Caution, do not trust Ekornes.
We bought a few years ago, for an amount greater than 10,000 $ chairs Stressless. We bought quality leather upper. Two years after buying, the leather was peeling. We reported the problem to Ekornes. This house has promised to change the leather, but was unable to find the same color, so it does nothing since 3 years now. Be careful, Ekornes is expensive, but not serious. [/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT]

Old 07-22-2010, 03:09 PM

1 posts, read 34,519 times
I spent almost $10,000 on my set (sofa, loveseat, recliner), and liked it very much at first, but over time I have begun to question the purchase. The leather is fine (I paid for the upgrade Royalin), but the structural comfort level has diminished somewhat. The construction is NOT worth the cost. I have suffered some breakage and discovered what I would call "design flaws" such as cheap plastic connectors on the ends of the slider rails under the seats. At this price, I am VERY disappointed to find plastic. Also, the basic construction may be interesting, but amounts to paying more for less. Also, I discovered the reclining seats on my sofa and loveseats are not too clever in that I have to place the units far from the walls because the headrests go back quite a bit. The slider reclining mechanism is terrible, the adjustment knobs hard to get to and they do not hold their adjustment over time (once again, plastic). Bottom line...would I get this brand again...NO!

Old 11-04-2010, 09:58 PM

2 posts, read 43,548 times
Just placed an order for a Stressless Vegas chair for my mom for Christmas, never bought a piece of furniture this expensive before. It better be worth every penny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating