Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 08:06 AM

71 posts, read 38,060 times

Advertisements

Hello I want to try to get some input on adding a laundry room to our existing formal living room and reconfiguring the room a bit. Here is what I have for the current design. Where there is a laundry room and study in the picture is just open with a short vaulted ceiling that goes over the kitchen as well. We would like to move the door from the left side of the formal living room to the right and extend the wall out onto the corner porch leaving a small porch just where the front door is. How would you partition the study? The laundry room will be 7x7 and the current living room is 17.5 feet wide. Thanks for your help we will be getting some estimates this weekend. This is a ranch house
Attached Thumbnails
Suggestions needed add laundry room to living room-image.png  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2016, 09:48 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Not having a laundry room/closet and putting it there is one thing, but you already have a laundry closet.

So; what gives? Why on earth would you do this?

Old 04-14-2016, 10:03 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,719,577 times
I'm confused by the sketch and what you said. The sketch says "New Laundry Room." You say it is an open space, but you want to move the laundry room over to the living room area?

I have to admit, I, too am puzzled as to why you would do this. It appears that the laundry room is near the bedrooms, which is a great place for it. Why do you want to put it near the formal living room, which should be the fanciest space in the house, but will now have the noise of the laundry near it? Plus, it would be less convenient from the bedrooms.

Is what you have currently the "New laundry room?" I don't understand.

Old 04-14-2016, 11:14 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
You have a laundry room already. No, it's not a sexy laundry room but it's functional. I don't see any advantage and multiple disadvantages to moving it. Maybe there's a reason you need to share with us? I don't know - I wouldn't do it.

Old 04-14-2016, 11:19 AM

The laundry room is currently in the hallway closet-we would turn that into storage space. My wife wants a bigger laundry area and more storage-the new designated space would still be pretty close to the bedrooms. This living room is very open and is used as a passage way right now. I would like to get it closed off to have a private study. Thanks again for your help.

Old 04-14-2016, 11:25 AM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
???
Then you posted the wrong photo.
In that photo, the living room is NOT very open at all!

Old 04-14-2016, 11:33 AM

163 posts, read 144,158 times
I with your wife! Who wants to do laundry in a hallway? I like your idea!!!

Not sure what you mean about your question regarding changing up the study? Hard for me to visualize, but I think you can make it work as a small study. I say go for it!

Old 04-14-2016, 11:38 AM

7,244 posts, read 7,066,230 times
I don't like that layout at all. It also looks like you're planning to move a bearing wall to extend the study. Very expensive.

Old 04-14-2016, 11:46 AM

Sorry for the confusion-there is not currently a laundry room in the living room-that's why I called it "new laundry room". The living room is open in the way you can see the start of the bedroom hallway the kitchen entrance and the other living room from the front door

Old 04-14-2016, 11:56 AM

Again-sorry for the confusion-here is the current layout. The original post is the designed one. How can I make this living room space into a study and laundry room? Our house is just 1500 square feet so we're trying to make our small space more workable. I'm open to suggestions if you have any. I want to make this work for my wife and make it work in a nice way. Thanks again.
Attached Thumbnails
Suggestions needed add laundry room to living room-image.png  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating