Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 06:55 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,925,997 times

Advertisements

Yeah we're seeing the antique brass coming back. And a small smattering of bright brass. Anything has to be better than that "rubbed bronze" that looks like it just got pulled out of a dump. I always thought rusted looked better. How depressing. I guess we can call that fad "late ghetto". Seems like everything is going back. Notice on some of the new cars models- chrome! Not much of it but chrome is making its way back on cars. Just wait- white walls and 5 panel stained interior fir doors. Maybe even wood screen doors!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2018, 07:44 PM

3,306 posts, read 1,346,947 times
Black fixtures are the newest trend. It’s not my thing so I’m gonna pass on the brass and the black fixtures.

Old 01-18-2018, 06:38 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
We went with a champagne sort of finish on our master bath hardware. Not brass and not chrome, but I think it's glam. I like it but I wouldn't put it throughout the house.
Attached Thumbnails
New Trends: Brass Fixtures (seen in House Hunters: Renovation)-elements-resized.jpg  

Old 01-18-2018, 08:06 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Here we are a year and a half later- and after an exhausting week in Orlando for the IBS/KBIS conventions I can unequivocally confirm that (antique) brass is back!

Manufacturers and vendors obviously pushed hard and long- it was EVERYWHERE! Even on appliances (it was a Frigdaire if memory serves me correctly).

I will say this; this (today's) brass ain't your grandparents antique brass. The designs are modern/contemporary but with old world charm of an antique finish. It had a untique quality in the fact that it seemed to work with just about any wood color or paint color of choice. Though my mind was truly on building and design aspects of the shows I couldn't help notice the overwhelming choices of antique brass.

Clearly from an early standpoint the manufacturers made their impression on HGTV and the general public.

Ehh...the manufacturers have to come up with something new or bring back something every year. That's how they make money

I haven't seen much brass while out and about shopping. I'm seeing more chrome. Either way once something does get out enough and we all see it over and over the brainwashing will be complete

Old 01-18-2018, 09:20 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
Ehh...the manufacturers have to come up with something new or bring back something every year. That's how they make money

I haven't seen much brass while out and about shopping. I'm seeing more chrome. Either way once something does get out enough and we all see it over and over the brainwashing will be complete
I agree, "they" have been pushing gold and brass for several years now, but it hasn't seemed to catch on with most consumers. I think the antique brass is attractive but I'm still a little skeptical about whether it will catch on enough to become a real trend.

Old 01-18-2018, 05:41 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
We went with a champagne sort of finish on our master bath hardware. Not brass and not chrome, but I think it's glam. I like it but I wouldn't put it throughout the house.
That looks nice! Kind of reminds me of nickel plating as it has a deeper, darker look than regular chrome to me.

Old 01-19-2018, 04:50 AM

2,538 posts, read 1,910,756 times
Loving an antique brass comeback as I get ready to put my 1980's era house on the market, since that is the door hardware throughout. They shiny brass light fixtures that were in the house were all replaced years ago with nickel or antique brass. For my new house, I recently replaced all of the brass (gold) with brushed nickel for the doors and I am happy with that. The actual bathroom fixtures, installed in 2004, are chrome with some brass accents and I can live with that amount of brass, but I don't want more.

Last edited by JOinGA; 01-19-2018 at 04:59 AM..

Old 01-19-2018, 07:05 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
We were watching Fixer Upper last night and noticed that she used what looked like antique brass fixtures in the bathroom and kitchen. Guess this is something with legs then, as people will do whatever Joanna says, like with shiplap. Which interestingly, she hasn’t used all season.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:27 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
We were watching Fixer Upper last night and noticed that she used what looked like antique brass fixtures in the bathroom and kitchen. Guess this is something with legs then, as people will do whatever Joanna says, like with shiplap. Which interestingly, she hasn’t used all season.
We're still pulling brass out of our house. Joanna Gaines can have all of it. I hate brass.

Old 01-24-2018, 08:52 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

Here's the turdlet to go with it-
Attached Thumbnails
New Trends: Brass Fixtures (seen in House Hunters: Renovation)-img_3132.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating