Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 03:32 AM

2,325 posts, read 5,509,755 times

Advertisements

The only two things I can think of needing in a bedside drawer are a gun and condoms, hopefully not at the same time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2016, 05:54 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
As it is, I don't keep a gun there. There's the point that it is probably not safe there ...... and that it is too big to fit in there, anyway.

Safety in drawer is an interesting thing. Long story short so not to say too much, long ago I developed a protocol not to have anything revealing in case my mother came over. Though, I think my passed mother might have one to turn the eye;she never said anything the time she used my bathroom, before the protocol, and I suddenly realized my "playful" body stocking was hanging up in there.

Thank you for all the suggestions!

Old 06-18-2016, 03:14 PM

52 posts, read 39,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becki in Tx. View Post
Socks, undergarments....

That is so for so many people. But I was thinking the logical place for these is in a bathroom cupboard/draw

Bedside cabinets are good for lamps , photos, books, trinkets, plants/flowers, theyre fairly practical all in all and I was going to say somethng else but Ive forgotten now, whatever works

Old 06-19-2016, 09:39 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,418,195 times
I recently purchased two new bedside chests with 2 small top drawers and two larger drawers below. My thinking was if I was going to have something there taking up space, it may as well provide storage. And they look better than the rickety skirted tables that we'd been using for 20 years. So far my upper drawers have my checkbook, address book, pens, small flashlight, and the remote to the ceiling fan. Hubby's top drawer is still empty but the lower one has some cameras and electronics paraphernalia. If he were motivated he could put the stuff in a drawer that he keeps on top of the chest.

Old 06-19-2016, 07:10 PM

3 posts, read 2,797 times
around here?

top drawer:
tactical flashlight, naproxen, paracetemol, aspirin, ibuprofen, scopolamine butylbromide, small bottle of water. pencil, small bound notebook.

bottom drawer:
work gloves, slip-on shoes, battery-operated lamp and batteries for it, all for immediate need in case of earthquake.

on top at night:
glasses in case, biteguard case, phone.

on top most of the time:
tissue box, strauss cream bottle holding long-lasting flowers.

his side: well now, you'd have to ask him! More interesting than my side, and complementary preparedness items.

Now you've got me wondering what the original use of bedside tables was, and where they were first developed and used.

I logged in looking for suggestions on window treatments, so it seems I've found a new nonphysical form of clutter. ;-)

Old 06-19-2016, 07:32 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Pens, small pad of paper in case I think of something that I have to write down, nail clippers, tweezers, eye mask, dental floss, small flashlight, pill crusher thingy, emery board, and a bunch of other stuff. I try to keep it organized by using a divider box but it's still kind of messy.

Old 03-31-2017, 06:08 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
An update.

My bedside tables are no longer bedside tables but are now dresser side tables, so they are used as drawers for excess clothes such as my general day tees, socks, and dance accessories.

Old 03-31-2017, 06:18 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
My bedside table:

On the top - a photo of my husband when we first met, a small succulent house plant, a lamp, a clock with a digital face I can read at night, a coaster, the cord to my phone charger, and a stack of books.

Inside - a drawer divider thingie with stuff like a small flashlight, a package of tissues, pens, a small pad of paper, chap stick, mace, Excedrin PM, an emory board, dental floss, an extra battery for my small clock on my dressing table.

Second drawer - more books - yes, I love to read in bed.

Third drawer - T shirts that I just can't bear to throw away for some reason.

Old 03-31-2017, 06:33 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
glasses

They're only thing I have that really need to go in there. It's a place I can easily reach from bed (where I like to read before sleeping) without getting up, yet they're totally protected once the drawer is closed.

Old 03-31-2017, 12:08 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,281,784 times
At our old house, who knows what I kept in those drawers. When we moved, I cleaned them out and put that stand in our guest bedroom and bought a new one. This one has only 1 drawer and 2 shelves.

On top: Clock, flashlight, lip balm, glasses, water bottle, nasal spray, hand fan (for hot flashes).

Drawer: Nail file, sleep aid.

First shelf: It used to have a box of tissues until my husband stole that.

Second shelf: back scratcher.

Cat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating