Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 10:20 PM

13,059 posts, read 18,146,601 times

Advertisements

Finally down to the nitty gritty of the master bath remodel. I am on both sides of the fence here and looking for a clearer head to set me straight. Please tell me if you think I am overthinking this as it may come down to preference.

Question. I am putting in a new shower and the question is which side does the door hinge go? The controls and spigot will be on the left side of the shower. The door will swing out. I am thinking about turning the water on prior to getting in the shower. We have a little distance from the water tank so especially in the winter time you need to let the water run to warm up and a secondary water heater is not feasible. I think I am getting confused and making this a lot harder than it should be, but it never hurts to ask for an opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 02:05 AM

30,566 posts, read 16,256,699 times
I agree about you're over thinking-it could go on either side assuming the bathroom is big enough.
Personally I'd put the hinges on the left but that's just me.

You could google shower images and see what comes up.

Old 09-12-2016, 05:28 AM

13,059 posts, read 18,146,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
I agree about you're over thinking-it could go on either side assuming the bathroom is big enough.
Personally I'd put the hinges on the left but that's just me.

You could google shower images and see what comes up.
I am usually pretty good with things like this, but every once and again, I will do something and say to myself, "gee I wish I thought of that" after the fact. If I get mostly overthinking responses then I will know I have my bases covered. Thanks.

Old 09-12-2016, 09:12 AM

17,480 posts, read 66,122,593 times
The rule of thumb-

Install door so the hinge is opposite of the showerhead. Of course, there are going to be contradictions to this because of other fixtures and/or layout design. But, when in doubt- read first sentence again.

Old 09-12-2016, 10:36 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,445,845 times
The "rule of thumb" about shower head often runs into the OTHER "rule of thumb" of having the hinge on the side closest to the wall (so that you do not have to worry about walking around a partially open door on you way into / out of the shower)...

If you are still at the "nothing has been built" stage of design you can use masking tape and /or thin cardboard mock-ups to do various layout options. You might be surprised how helpful that can be.

BTW If you are really obsessing on the shower being the "right temp" you can install a "toe tester" and then have a wall mount "diverter only" or "transfer valve" at the height of the temperature and volume controls. These are a staple in Canada where the cooler temps mean folks really try to ensure the water is "just right" -- Spa Therapies - Water tester system - MAAX https://www.lowes.ca/shower-trims/gr...m_g146739.html Some folks are bothered by having too many controls but so long as there are some pictorgrams to indicate which controls temp, volume, and outflow it really makes for the ultimate in comfort...

Old 09-12-2016, 11:17 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,240,088 times
The frameless glass door on my walk in shower swings in both directions, which is extremely convenient. I can pull it out to easily reach in to turn the shower on (controls are on the same wall as the hinge) but when I get out of the shower, I can turn off the water with the door shut, then swing it inward as I walk around it, so it drips into the shower and not out on the floor.

Old 09-12-2016, 11:22 AM

8,155 posts, read 8,368,434 times
I put in showers a lot it seems and if at all possible I try and have it set up so no door is needed. However the last shower we had installed, we did the hinges opposite side so the door could be opened and controls reached quite easily.

Old 09-12-2016, 11:25 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,939,144 times
Depending on how heavy those glass shower door you are putting in, the hinge side should be the one where you had extra 2x4 for the mounting.

Old 09-12-2016, 12:14 PM

1,192 posts, read 2,485,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
Depending on how heavy those glass shower door you are putting in, the hinge side should be the one where you had extra 2x4 for the mounting.
Yes to the above, especially if you are using the heavy glass frameless door! That thick glass is very heavy. For my bathroom I opted for French doors that open in the middle so that both doors could be mounted to sturdy 2x4's. In the hall bath, I opted for a left mount so that the one door could be mounted to a sturdy 2x4.

I did a lot of reading about how the frameless glass doors can shatter. It scared the you-know-what out of me, so I was extra careful to have them mounted so that they wouldn't shift and rub against anything.

Old 09-12-2016, 12:20 PM

17,480 posts, read 66,122,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post

This would be irrelevant in a planning stage- these are things you take into consideration and "plan" accordingly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating