Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2016, 03:22 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,050,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I presume QSWO is quarter sawn white oak? Wasn't that stuff veneer? Or the stuff meant for ordinary folks to buy? I do agree that the older oak can be handsome, although I don't know if I would want an entire kitchen done in that, but I question where you are going to get quarter sawn white oak nowadays.

I do agree that the oak stuff, particularly the stuff that was put out as the trend for oak continued, is often ugly. I had oak in the 1980s that didn't look horrible, but I don't want it now. This is a trend that needs to be laid to rest. And I don't think that painted cabs are necessarily bad.

I also don't think that all white kitchens look sterile. I also like the lower cabs painted gray or gray blue, and the uppers painted white. That's the thing: there are so many options, we can all be pleased.

But yeah, I was tired of oak 15 years ago.

Sorry, yes Quarter Sawn White Oak. And you're right, you'll pay handsomely for the real thing. I agree with you on the gray or blue colors, esp if done in a way to pop out key features. Personally, if I ever got to custom design my house, I'd get away from the "kitchen on display" style. I want a serious cooking kitchen and don't want to feel like I have to keep it company coming display ready all the time. My wife on the other hand love all the style and stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2016, 03:46 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
I think the problem is not the oak itself because oak on floors can be beautiful and even "low end oak" holds up better than pressed wood/thermofoil. Proof of that is the fact that the oak cabinets are still kicking at almost 30 years old. Can you say that for pressed wood/thermofoil? so I can't say that they are "crappy". Real wood trumps knockoffs. The problem is that "golden oak" looks very dated now. A darker stained oak cabinet looks aesthetically pleasing, at least to me. But that yellow/brown oak? No, I'm not a fan. thankfully our 27 year old home had much of the oak trim/cabinetry replaced. Our kitchen cabinetry is maple. Since it doesn't have such a deep grain as oak, it really looks nice and sleek and will probably remain that way for years to come. Personally, while I like the look of painted cabinets and it is a definite upgrade over golden oak, I wouldn't have them in my house. I like stained wood better.

Old 07-27-2016, 04:05 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogmom13 View Post
Your kitchen (with the painted oak cabinets) looks marvelous. But I think just getting rid of the wallpaper and changing out the countertops would've still made a huge difference, even with the original oak cabinets.

I just happen to love the warm look of wood, so as dated as my oak cabinets are, they're staying.

And speaking of things that aren't "in", I have a distressed red brick fireplace that is floor-to-ceiling (at the "^" point of my cathedral ceiling in my greatroom) and there's no way it's getting painted white (or any other color!)

Oh, and I'm not dissing anyone else's decorating tastes... Just stating my preferences.
Please don't paint that fireplace! I have one, too, and it's the focal point of my first floor. I was completely smitten with it the moment I first toured the house. It's also double-sided, so it truly is the home's centerpiece. I don't find the fireplace dated at all. It's appropriate for architecture and has aged well since the house was built in the seventies, even as the other surfaces have been updated. I love it and would never, ever change it.

Old 07-27-2016, 09:01 PM

555 posts, read 595,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Please don't paint that fireplace! I have one, too, and it's the focal point of my first floor. I was completely smitten with it the moment I first toured the house.

Yup, I was smitten as well! The fireplace and the kitchen with lots of counter space and cabinets (the oak cabinets that I still love, LOL) sold me on this house!

Old 07-27-2016, 11:12 PM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Gray homes remind me of the mortuaries I've been to. Such an ugly dull blase' color.

Old 07-28-2016, 07:15 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Gray homes remind me of the mortuaries I've been to. Such an ugly dull blase' color.
Our house is several shades of gray. I don't think it looks like a mortuary . Robyn

House by robyn589, on Flickr

Front Elevation by robyn589, on Flickr

Old 07-28-2016, 07:35 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,549,353 times
I am a fan of painted kitchen cabinets. Once upon a time, I think I would have preferred stained finish-grade wood (likely either a walnut, or a other dark (low grain) hardwood).

But I've always liked a white kitchen. To me, they're classic. 100 years ago, white kitchen with soapstone wouldn't have been unusual (for those lucky enough to have cabinets); and today, still a classic look.

When we redo our kitchen (hopefully within a few years) we'll have white cabinets (which are really an off-white/cream color) for the majority of the kitchen, and grey (light grey) cabinets across on a pantry/coffee counter wall.

Everything cycles in and out of hot/cold moments. So, I'm sure no matter what I pick for a kitchen, the next people in the house will dislike it ... so I might as well put in what I'm going to like ('cause I'm the one paying for it and going to have to live with it)

Old 07-28-2016, 08:04 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,856,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Agreed. I love color, and white and grey just look boring and blah, or institutional.

So many beautiful colors to choose from that I can't imagine settling for white or grey.

Old 07-28-2016, 09:19 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
I am a fan of painted kitchen cabinets. Once upon a time, I think I would have preferred stained finish-grade wood (likely either a walnut, or a other dark (low grain) hardwood).

But I've always liked a white kitchen. To me, they're classic. 100 years ago, white kitchen with soapstone wouldn't have been unusual (for those lucky enough to have cabinets); and today, still a classic look.

When we redo our kitchen (hopefully within a few years) we'll have white cabinets (which are really an off-white/cream color) for the majority of the kitchen, and grey (light grey) cabinets across on a pantry/coffee counter wall.

Everything cycles in and out of hot/cold moments. So, I'm sure no matter what I pick for a kitchen, the next people in the house will dislike it ... so I might as well put in what I'm going to like ('cause I'm the one paying for it and going to have to live with it)
Agree completely. I love white kitchens too. But ironically, I did not put one in my new construction house. It's a totally open floor plan so the kitchen is essentially part of the living room. I put in dark cherry cabinets in the kitchen because that felt like it fit the space better in terms of the overall area.

But I got to fulfill my white cabinet love by putting them in the bathrooms and they look great. You had to keep the same cabinet style throughout the house, but I was allowed to pick out different colors for different rooms.

Old 07-28-2016, 09:25 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
I am a fan of painted kitchen cabinets.
Me, too, but mine are painted a sandstone beige color. The cabinets are basic, cheap, '70s tract house grade and were originally stained a dark brown. They look so much better painted, although they do chip and must be touched up once a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating