Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 08:20 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Popcorn ceilings with glitter!!

Was a huge trend in the suburbs of Philly in the mid to late 80's........yuck
Hey, I looked at the few of those houses when I was house hunting 12 years ago, and not just in the suburbs, either. Some of the popcorn ceilings even had iridescent bubbles. Yipe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2016, 09:59 AM

1,846 posts, read 3,940,305 times
Remember when HGTV used have at least one room painted red or else a red accent wall, in every home? I admit that I never really liked red walls. Personally I prefer more serene colors for my own home. YMMV

I also wouldn't want my TV over my fireplace, because I prefer it to be located in the spot where I can see it most clearly and most comfortably (and that never seems to be over the fireplace). Again, YMMV.

I can do without the "Peace", "Love", "Joy" signs too. I also don't like the big star on the wall.

Other than that, I'm pretty flexible about nearly everything. I like mini-blinds and glitter in the ceilings although I can understand why some people might not. I have a blue-green sofa painting and a blue-green rug, and although I didn't plan it that way I think it looks pretty good.

Last edited by NOLA2SGF; 07-13-2016 at 10:11 AM..

Old 07-13-2016, 10:13 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,055,061 times
Words on the wall and/or the same trite phrases on phony reclaimed wood.

Barn stars.

"Wine" humor themed art.

Old 07-13-2016, 10:18 AM

154 posts, read 259,950 times
I am pretty over the words on the wall, specially decals those are just no bueno. Also a bit over all those frames bunch up together in one wall, specially when they all just have words!

Old 07-13-2016, 12:11 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Please no more....

subway or similar glass tile
HGTV McModern Kitchen template
white or gray painted cabinets
modern pendant lights

Old 07-14-2016, 09:22 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
For me it is the use of small, multicolored tile on a backsplash, paired with highly textured granite counters. When I look at pics of this combo, my eye never knows where to land.

And, I guess I'm tired of seeing highly textured granite in kitchens. But I also think some of the granite counters are quite beautiful. I have mixed feelings about them, I guess.

I am tired of the deep brown-red furniture that has been everywhere for the last few years. I think this is why painted furniture looks so nice now; it is a pleasant change from that dark wood stuff.

I own a lot of red/brown furniture. I want to change it out. I am so tired of it.

Old 07-15-2016, 10:03 AM

I am going on record as liking subway tile, and not understanding why others have an aversion to it. I don't know if it is going out of style, but I tend to think that subway tile in its various incarnations will be a style choice for awhile yet.

Some posters have also hated on stainless steel in kitchens, which has become simply a style choice after being trendy about 30 years ago. Some things linger and some things go away. I've never had stainless appliances, and frankly I'd like to have them. Somehow there was never enough in the budget to replace what I already had. If we bought, we tried to match what we had. I am still stuck with white, which I don't regard as stylish or trendy at all. White is just dull, to my eye.

But we get to choose our own stuff according to our taste and pocketbooks.

And, there is this. What is trendy at first starts out at the top of the food chain, so to speak. The trendy stuff filters downward over a period of years. With home finishes and furniture styles, it may take years for some of us to be able to make costly changes in our homes; so the things we longed for 10 years ago might still be alive and kicking for us, because others have been desiring similar things. So there is still a demand. When subway tile first appeared, maybe 15 years ago?, it was trendy. Now that there are choices in all price points, the demand for it continues because some of us saw it in magazines or on Pinterest all those years ago and wanted it for ourselves. It might take a decade for us to have the money to finally get it. So, trends in home finishes and furnishes might have a longer shelf life than, say, women's fashion.

I think that is what is happening with brass and gold finishes now. Like many of you, I am so not ready for this trend. I left a house with brass finishes, and it so happens, I bought a house with brass--too much brass for my taste. But there it is. Eventually brass will be back.

Old 07-15-2016, 10:37 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Subway tile has been around for decades, you can find pictures of kitchens and baths from the 1930s with it. It became trendy at some point, and it will eventually "go out of style" in the sense that it may no longer be a trend at any given moment. But it will still be a classic.

Old 07-15-2016, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Subway tile has been around for decades, you can find pictures of kitchens and baths from the 1930s with it. It became trendy at some point, and it will eventually "go out of style" in the sense that it may no longer be a trend at any given moment. But it will still be a classic.
I don't remember seeing subway tile in homes during the 1980s and 1990s at least in newer construction.

Old 07-15-2016, 06:31 PM

548 posts, read 1,038,472 times
For me I like subway tile if it fits the home. My personal dislikes are laminate floors, stainless appliances, glass doors for a shower/tub, and copper sinks.
I work for a house cleaning company and see many houses all day every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating