Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 10:53 PM

789 posts, read 1,991,802 times

Advertisements

Our last sectional had both a chaise lounge and a full size couch (which could be split and used free-standing), on each side. We used the chaise lounge much more than any other part of the couch. My husband and kids would fight over it. But I also think it has a lot to do with size. The couch part of our sectional was 7 feet long and took up a LOT of space. A chaise lounge gives you the feel of a full-size sectional, without the need to so much space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2016, 01:06 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,578,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MainLineMommy View Post
Our last sectional had both a chaise lounge and a full size couch (which could be split and used free-standing), on each side. We used the chaise lounge much more than any other part of the couch. My husband and kids would fight over it. But I also think it has a lot to do with size. The couch part of our sectional was 7 feet long and took up a LOT of space. A chaise lounge gives you the feel of a full-size sectional, without the need to so much space.
Are you looking for something more like this? My area has them, but they aren't cheap. Leather baige sectional with two recliners

Old 08-14-2016, 07:33 AM

24,513 posts, read 10,836,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
Couldn't you do the same thing on a normal sectional? I read, watch tv and take naps on my regular couch all the time. Is this easier on a chaise lounge? I'm seriously asking -- I've never owned a chaise lounge.

My objection is that a chaise lounge doesn't allow a person to have anything to lean back against. That limits the number of real seats available, which is the purpose of a sectional in the first place. Asking a person to sit on a chaise lounge just sort of feels like asking them to sit on an ottoman.
Apparently you have not figured out how to use it. Your feet, blanket, a cat or two go on the chaise section. What yiu posted here ilooks like an el cheapo. Your back goes to the end with the back rest preferably with a pillow or two and someone cuddly close by. Let Netflix roll!

Old 08-14-2016, 07:41 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,360,890 times
They can be comfy but they are awkwardly shaped and it takes a bigger room to accommodate them - they can make the room too crowded.

Old 08-14-2016, 07:43 AM

45,352 posts, read 60,534,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
I'd love to have one because any time I sit on the couch (when there is no company), I'm going to have my feet up. All the time. A chaise would allow me to have my feet up and still have room for another family member to sit on the couch.
Quote:
No one has really answered my question yet: What does a chaise lounger do that a regular sectional doesn't? Can't you put your feet up or nap on a regular sectional? How does the design of the chaise lounger make it more comfortable than a regular sectional?

Does anyone have guests sit on the chaise lounger part and sit normally (sit rather than lying)?
Yes, the other post I quoted answered your question.

Old 08-14-2016, 07:55 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,112,651 times
Quote:
No one has really answered my question yet: What does a chaise lounger do that a regular sectional doesn't? Can't you put your feet up or nap on a regular sectional? How does the design of the chaise lounger make it more comfortable than a regular sectional?

Does anyone have guests sit on the chaise lounger part and sit normally (sit rather than lying)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooks1976 View Post
I guess you could put it in places you couldn't put a regular sectional. The lack of a back, means your line of sight isn't blocked.
OP, i've had a sofa very similar to the ones you posted, and, yes, pooks1976 is correct. When we bought the "chaise lounge sofa" we had a small condo that would have been overwhelmed by a true full sectional. But we liked that the chaise was comfy AND added a bit of a barrier to separate the "living room" from the "eating area" (again: small, urban condo) WITHOUT taking up too much space or blocking one's line of sight into the living room and the beautiful big windows in there. It was an inexpensive sofa, but incredibly comfortable, and yes plenty of people sat on the end chaise to chat with people on the actual sofa part.

My husband loved the sofa so much, that we've kept it over 10 years, and even now it resides in our basement in a spot that would not accommodate a full-sized sectional without negatively affecting the flow of traffic or line of sight, yet the way it is now it helps create a cozy corner that is still open to the other seating areas in the basement. Hard to explain, I guess, but a true sectional wouldn't work in this spot.

In addition to the flexibility, I believe the chaise lounge trend became popular because many people associate "sectionals" with rec rooms and basements--and while I know that's not true of today's sectionals --I've heard many people that like that the chaise lounge is comfortable without being "slouchy"

Old 08-14-2016, 08:34 AM

98 posts, read 510,255 times
I happen to love chaise lounges only because we don't have an incredible amount of space in our family room- sectionals are too overwhelming for the space that we have. It's also just the two of us, and we both have room to have our feet up!

Old 08-14-2016, 09:45 AM

5,828 posts, read 4,168,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Apparently you have not figured out how to use it. Your feet, blanket, a cat or two go on the chaise section. What yiu posted here ilooks like an el cheapo. Your back goes to the end with the back rest preferably with a pillow or two and someone cuddly close by. Let Netflix roll!
Yes, but can't one do the same exact thing with a regular sectional?

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Yes, the other post I quoted answered your question.
It didn't, though. Can't you put your feet up while another person is on the couch with a regular sectional?

Old 08-14-2016, 09:46 AM

5,828 posts, read 4,168,001 times
I do get the space factor. A lot of the chaise lounge sectionals I've seen look to be more compact.

Old 08-14-2016, 09:51 AM

45,352 posts, read 60,534,984 times
Quote:
Yes, but can't one do the same exact thing with a regular sectional?

It didn't, though. Can't you put your feet up while another person is on the couch with a regular sectional?
So you're looking for an answer that you agree with. Got it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating