Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 04:52 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,700,479 times

Advertisements

For the rooms we were leaving up the lathe and plaster wall (bathrooms and the double parlor) we used a metal finder
How to find studs in Lath and Plaster using Zircon tools
Once we found the first few, we would measure out to there the next one would be.
We did use the old cabinets as a marker too.
For cabinets we made some major changes to the configuration, so we couldn't use the old measurements. Luckily my BIL is a finished carpenter he helped with the cabinets and even made 2 custom ones for us.
Make sure you a knowledgeable of the local building codes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2016, 08:51 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Without knowing if this in downtown Manhattan or seeing the rest of the home's layout I am not going to say that "you must find more space to make the update worthwhile" but I would strongly suggest that the existing kitchen is not going to be adequate for the majority of modern renters or buyers.

It can be frustrating to hear that, especially once you've already done the leg work to find a quality local cabinet shop, but the fact is that the data shows that MOST kitchen remodels only return a fraction of the cost in added value and the reason is that far too many DIY remodelers are too fearful and unskilled in rearranging the space to increase the functional aspects of the kitchen. I strongly recommend learning the basics of how the overall layout of the whole space is vitally important -- Smart Layouts for Small Spaces

I really like the efforts that firms like Ikea take in setting up not just 'model kitchens' but entire mock apartments that reflect an efficient use of ALL available space. It is foolish to get bogged down in the details of what sorts of wiring or framing is hidden behind existing cabinets. FIRST make an honest assessment of what every sq inch of space in the unit is being used for. You might be amazed at both how much more cost effective it is to rearrange space that is inefficient AND how doing this is really a smarter financial move than upgrading a kitchen in a unit that remains hostile to modern living.

While there are certainly aspect of the various remodeling TV shows that one can easily criticize (like the warp speed pace and 'insider pricing'...) the fact is that the real reason that nearly all of them end up dramatically redoing the kitchen is that the way people use kitchens today is dramatically different than in decades past. The various functions that may have once be done in living or dining rooms, from everyday meals to entertaining friends all happen in well designed kitchens. That demands a certain kind of circulation pattern.

I know some folks in apartments (and even mansions...) never really do an cooking in their kitchens, but I personally do and I know people that are unaware of the wide range of high performance appliances that are available to fit compact spaces. For folks that understand their importance the investment is worthwhile -- 10 Easy Pieces: Best Appliances for Small Kitchens: Remodelista

Old 05-15-2017, 02:45 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Start by looking for one in YOUR area
(wherever that may be)

Old 05-15-2017, 09:23 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Double your budget to $50K.
Hire an architect.

Old 05-17-2017, 10:44 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMossOnMe View Post
Thanks Silibran, Point taken. Right now, we have a disposal connected to the sink and think we can link a dishwasher drain to that one.

IKEA was originally what we thought we'd buy, but when we factored in assembly and discounts at local cabinet shops, the difference was pretty negligible.

Yes, we will stick to a gas stove!

Possibly downsize the fridge a little.
Go with counter depth. It's a little less space in the fridge but the extra space in the kitchen is worth it.

And add a full depth cabinet above the fridge for extra, accessible storage. I put a pull out shelf and keep my cutting boards and colanders up there - things that are light enough that reaching up isn't a problem and bulky enough that I'm glad to save the space some of my limited cabinet space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating