Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 09:00 AM

993 posts, read 766,509 times

Advertisements

We moved into a new (to us) home and want to replace the kitchen countertops. The existing countertops are corian, but are a dark color I don't care for. I thought I'd replace them with quartz but after talking to the countertop installer I'm having second thoughts. The installer has a stellar reputation and has been in the business for 40 years.

This is what he told me: If I chose corian, I can have a coved backsplash which over the years looks cleaner behind the sink where the tile meets the countertop.....there is no grout line to get nasty looking and then regrouted. The backsplash comes up only 3/8" and I will tile above that. It will not be the standard 4" backsplash which I dislike. Has anyone out there done this? How does it look?

I had Corian in my previous home and it is a workhorse. I raised kids with those countertops and they still look almost new. I don't have a strong yearning for quartz. I disliked the granite countertops I had in the bathrooms of my previous home.

On the other hand, I want a contemporary look but I think I could replicate the look of quartz depending on my color choice and fabrication style....a rectangular, deep sink....simple edging. Any other ideas?

Another suggestion the installer made was to think about having an integrated Corian sink. Do any of you have experience with those? To my mind, they remind me of the 90s....but I'm sure a new faucet could make it more modern looking. I was going to have a Franke stainless sink installed....again, a tried and true brand I used in two previous homes.

Sooo.....while we hope to stay in this house for 20 years.....it is our retirement home and anything can happen.
If we have to sell, would new Corian countertops be a turnoff to potential buyers? Though as I write that, I can see that's a silly notion. I should just get what I want.

My installer told me he's seeing Corian making a comeback as granite sales are dwindling. Anyone have recent experience with Corian? I guess that my long-winded question. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2016, 09:06 AM

22,568 posts, read 47,624,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeonthelittlemountain View Post
Sooo.....while we hope to stay in this house for 20 years.....it is our retirement home and anything can happen.
If we have to sell, would new Corian countertops be a turnoff to potential buyers? Though as I write that, I can see that's a silly notion. I should just get what I want.
That the answer... for every question you asked

And, not that it matters as Corian is what you want, but your installer seems bullish on Corian. Does he even have experience installing anything else?

Old 11-09-2016, 09:10 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,582,899 times
Do you mean the sink would be part of the giant slab of corian that goes in without any seams? Or just undermounted?

I personally cannot stand corian. It looks and feels cheap even though it really isn't. I think most buyers would probably agree with that so the real question is how long you plan to stay in that house? If you're doing it to sell in a couple years I would go quartz but if you plan to be there for a long time then you should go with the look you like the best.

Old 11-09-2016, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
That the answer... for every question you asked

And, not that it matters as Corian is what you want, but your installer seems bullish on Corian. Does he even have experience installing anything else?
Yes, he does. I've seen his granite/quartz installs in other homes over the years. He's well known and respected.

He is close to retirement and built a successful business by listening to customers and not pushing. He laid out the pros and cons of quartz.....and as I was processing the things I might not like about quartz, I asked him what could be done with Corian.

Old 11-09-2016, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
Do you mean the sink would be part of the giant slab of corian that goes in without any seams? Or just undermounted?

I personally cannot stand corian. It looks and feels cheap even though it really isn't. I think most buyers would probably agree with that so the real question is how long you plan to stay in that house? If you're doing it to sell in a couple years I would go quartz but if you plan to be there for a long time then you should go with the look you like the best.
The sink would be a part of the Corian slab. I'm not leaning towards that though. Will,probably go with undermount high quality stainless sink. Thanks for your feedback.

Old 11-09-2016, 11:08 AM

492 posts, read 637,905 times
I'm not a Corian fan, but if it were a Corian with lots of movement, like marble, I would be happy to live with it, and not put a possible house with that in the "add X to price to replace counter tops" pile. My mom had the integrated sink in one of her houses. The basin would mark pretty easily. You can buff it out with an SOS pad, but it did require that alot to look pristine. I like the stainless much better.

Old 11-09-2016, 02:31 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,140,668 times
I had formica counters with tile backsplash for a decade. The company put silicone grout between the two, and I never, ever had problems.

I think if the backsplash is correctly installed and grouted, you should have not probs. It might be that this kitchen guy doesn't do this sort of install very well.

Corian is not terribly in style now, at least to my knowledge. However, if that's what you love, I think you should get it. That to me is the deciding factor.

Old 11-09-2016, 07:57 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,988,031 times
If you like Corian, then by all means go with Corian. It's your kitchen!

I'm thinking I'd go with a stainless undermount sink though.

I've had Corian in several homes. No complaints.

Old 11-09-2016, 08:44 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,509,477 times
I have a property that I remodeled and used Staron. (Direct competitor to Corian ) I think it's great. I did a undercounter SS sink in the kitchen and a seamless sink in the bathroom. It's great. No caulking n the bathroom. Wipes up easy, never stains.
If it scratches you can sand it and polish it out. It's a rental now but the counters still look great years later and no stains

Old 11-09-2016, 11:22 PM

5,587 posts, read 8,399,588 times
I would say that it's not making a comeback, except that I have seen a couple design magazines lately with very upscale kitchens and counters of....Corian. However, they are pure white, very contemporary -- not like the old 90's Corian. So maybe it IS making a comeback, but kind of doubt it. I can't stand the way Corian scratches, but if you like it, go for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating