Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 10:04 AM

97 posts, read 105,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
I was going to suggest just staining them also. I think that would look the best. The vinyl will be slippery and you really don't want that on basement stairs.
I thought so about the vinyl so thank you for confirming it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2017, 10:07 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,994,146 times
I've got to ask, if you are definitely moving out in a year, why bother doing anything to them at all? Just seems like a waste of money to me.

Old 01-26-2017, 11:22 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely person View Post
the wood stain seems to be a good idea but is it safe to use it near the furnace and water heater?
Kayekaye, tape yes the easiest I love it i will check them out

I dont own the house, it is rental
You'd better not do anything without checking with the landlord, then!

Old 01-26-2017, 11:27 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
is that handrail upside down?

Old 01-26-2017, 11:41 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,994,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
I've got to ask, if you are definitely moving out in a year, why bother doing anything to them at all? Just seems like a waste of money to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
You'd better not do anything without checking with the landlord, then!
I completely missed this. If it is a rental, I definitely wouldn't be doing anything. You start doing stuff without landlord approval, kiss your deposit good bye.

Old 01-26-2017, 12:34 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,217,238 times
I have done changes to rental just because I couldn't stand it. When I moved out I repainted the bathroom that I had wallpapered back to white after taking down the paper. It was work but it made me happier living there.

Old 01-26-2017, 01:35 PM

97 posts, read 105,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
I have done changes to rental just because I couldn't stand it. When I moved out I repainted the bathroom that I had wallpapered back to white after taking down the paper. It was work but it made me happier living there.

exactly..I mean I know it is rental and will be staying there for about a year but still I am using the basement as a play area for my kids (it is a daylight one which is great)..and so wanted to hide the ugly looking wood with cheap and easy to remove materials

I already checked with the landlord and it is fine..

THank you guys for your input..they were really valuable to me..I am checking them now

Old 01-26-2017, 05:30 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,105,782 times
Quote:
hi I have been looking all over the internet on this subject and I got so overwhemed so I thought you might be of a good help to me..
so I am trying to make my basement stairs look better with as less cost as possible..I am moving out in a year and dont want to spend much..I searched about peel and stick tiles (vinyl,carpet,wood)..vinyl seems the cheapest and still nice, my stair is 41*11 inches so I have to make cuts and adjustments..but is this a good idea, it is a floor tile so does it work on stairs I mean wont it be slippery or something..I dont know..
Also, do I have to put stair nosing because they cost about 10 at least for each stair and I have 13..It is more than what I am willing to pay..so are they just decorative or a necessity?
I am also considering painting them with spray paints..good idea? I dont know if it is going to look nice with it..
I also considered stairs treads but these are much smaller than the stair dimesions which result in the wood still showing and I cant picture if it will look good

I really appreciate your input..I attached an image of how my stairs look and here is also a link to the vinyl tiles I checked in walmart
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Nexus-1.2...alnut/45920215
I don't recommend spray paint AT ALL (unless you have a professional with a sprayer). Using spray paint in the 11 ounce cans will leave fumes in the air (thinking of air quality for your family), you will have a huge paint cloud that will settle in everything, and you mentioned the furnace. You shouldn't spray in an enclosed area in the winter with the furnace on.

If you have discussed staining or painting with the landlord, I recommend getting it in writing.

Old 01-26-2017, 07:04 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,531,949 times
Quote:
exactly..I mean I know it is rental and will be staying there for about a year but still I am using the basement as a play area for my kids (it is a daylight one which is great)..and so wanted to hide the ugly looking wood with cheap and easy to remove materials

THank you guys for your input..they were really valuable to me..I am checking them now
With your landlord 's approval, I would paint the base of each step a darker color paint which coordinates with the wall colors (not too dark or it will show marks) and then use a dark wood stain for each tread.

Old 01-26-2017, 10:45 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,217,238 times
Quote:

Great, then you don't have to put it back like I did
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating