Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 07:03 PM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andresrr View Post
we are starting to ask ourselves whether we should remove the fireplace for reasons of space, and potentially because it would no longer fit with the style that the new kitchen would take us.
We lived in a house that had two fireplaces like this, back to back. One was painted white. (We did use one of them in the winter months, however.) Some other threads here on fireplace remodeling/re-design:

Fireplace remodel - tiles, paint or new stones?
What should we do with this fireplace?
Help on Fireplace redesign - Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2017, 09:10 PM

81 posts, read 159,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
Why don't you use it?
We live in Southern California for one. But kidding aside, just never really figured out how to use it. I'm sure it's not hard but just hasn't happened for one reason or another.

And thanks everyone for the comments. Really appreciate them.

If I could change gears, my wife is thinking maybe an eclectic fireplaces would be nice? I'd never heard of that but I guess we'd be able to keep the fire place brick side but wouldn't need the kitchen side. I know the cost to do would not be small, and clearly we want to be sure we're not moving soon, buts it's an interesting ideas. Or maybe it's a crazy idea that takes the house further away from its origins.

Or maybe I can't do that? Kinda assume the fireplace side is just a facade. It's wider than what you see on the kitchen side but is it all one piece? Clearly I'm out of my element.

Last edited by andresrr; 02-04-2017 at 10:28 PM..

Old 02-05-2017, 05:30 AM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andresrr View Post
Kinda assume the fireplace side is just a facade. It's wider than what you see on the kitchen side but is it all one piece? Clearly I'm out of my element.
It doesn't look like a facade. A lot of homes in Southern California were built with these types of fireplaces in the 1950s and 60s. Get a chimney inspection. They can tell you whether it's functional, or fix it if it isn't. And now that it's been raining here practically all winter, you could actually enjoy the fireplace.

Old 02-05-2017, 02:39 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
It doesn't look like a facade. A lot of homes in Southern California were built with these types of fireplaces in the 1950s and 60s. Get a chimney inspection. They can tell you whether it's functional, or fix it if it isn't. And now that it's been raining here practically all winter, you could actually enjoy the fireplace.
Yes to the chimney inspection. And plenty of people use electric fireplaces.

Old 02-05-2017, 06:01 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,533,648 times
Get a re-work on that fireplace, but keep it.

It's hard to know what rest of house is like, but the changes need compliment rest of house. I would put a big thick mantle in and then box in the brick from mantle to the ceiling. I am bothered by the brick to the peaked ceiling because it is not in the center of peak.
How I would finish the boxed part would be house style dependent...it could be craftsman style wood, plaster southwestern, Capecod board & batten, modern drywall to match existing wall texture, antique mantel from parlor, marble victorian, etc. And I would change out that brass.

Last edited by historyfan; 02-05-2017 at 06:02 PM.. Reason: clarity

Old 02-05-2017, 06:52 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,498,135 times
I can see why you don't use it then

I would keep it and paint it white on the family room side. Or grey or whatever color scheme works. The idea of the electric fireplace is neat

Old 02-05-2017, 08:45 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
Get a re-work on that fireplace, but keep it.

It's hard to know what rest of house is like, but the changes need compliment rest of house. I would put a big thick mantle in and then box in the brick from mantle to the ceiling. I am bothered by the brick to the peaked ceiling because it is not in the center of peak.
How I would finish the boxed part would be house style dependent...it could be craftsman style wood, plaster southwestern, Capecod board & batten, modern drywall to match existing wall texture, antique mantel from parlor, marble victorian, etc. And I would change out that brass.
The off center chimney breast is pretty normal mid 20th century design. It looks to my eyes to be appropriate for the age of the house.

I do think putting an appropriate mantle on the brick would be fine, but I would be careful to have it in keeping with the style of the house.

I like painted brick. But in this case I think the natural brick has a lot of character, and in homes of this era, character in homes was often lacking.

Old 02-06-2017, 12:29 AM

1,884 posts, read 3,034,539 times
I have recently sold three homes in Southern CA--LA County. With the appraisals they basically gave a $2500 value for any fireplace.

So you can consider that the value that the fireplace adds to your home when you are selling it.

Old 02-06-2017, 09:12 AM

492 posts, read 638,399 times
I have three gas fireplaces. I upgraded two of them to be able to turn them on with a remote. You do that and you'll use it whenever there is a little chill in the air. In Southern California, I'd guess you'd use it most of the winter. You may be able to skip the heater if you use the fireplace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating