Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2017, 07:24 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Do you think a having a contrasting color on the kitchen island from the kitchen cabinet color will last? I'm considering refacing cabinets in white and then doing the island color in dark brown color to go with the dark brown hardwood floor. Don't want to do something that will go out of style soon.
I think an island that looks like fine old heavy furniture....grouped with white cabinets is good looking.
I personally don't care what the fads are I choose what I prefer.

What am I missing, why are there so many people ragging on HGTV shows?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2017, 06:40 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,115,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I think an island that looks like fine old heavy furniture....grouped with white cabinets is good looking.
I like that look too. Although I've learned the hard way that the legs of fine old furniture tend to collect a lot of dust and kitchen grime behind them. Still like the look, though.

Re: kitchen cabinets and island having contrasting colors or surfaces. I think this is a trend that's going to be around for awhile.

In addition to the wood being different colors, I've seen contrasting surfaces on the countertops in new construction. As an example, the granite on the island might be white granite and there will be black colored quartz under the cabinets. When you see a trend popping up regularly in new construction, I think it's something that will be around for at least another 5-10 years.

Maybe it's a rebellion against looking too matchy-matchy?

Old 05-31-2017, 06:43 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,209,414 times
Trends last as long as there are suckers - ahem - customers willing to pay for them.
Once they cease buying, the marketers will tell us what the new trends are that we should buy.

Old 05-31-2017, 09:22 AM

1 posts, read 777 times
I think for a lot of these, you need to look at why they are popular - what are the benefits, and look at the drawbacks.

Open concept - here to stay. They make space look larger, aid with communication/family, enables mom to keep better eye on kids.

Gray paint - will fade...paint colors always change and people want variety. A big reason gray is popular is because it's neutral and goes with many items. And, it goes w/ dark floors which are very trendy now. But, prob in 10 years, people will want a change and go back to more warm tones (on walls and floors)

Dark - will be around for prob 10 yrs. Dark goes w/ gray, so hand in hand. But, dark is harder to keep clean, so many opt for lighter as that is easier. (For flooring trends, you can see this article: 2017 Hardwood Flooring Trends - 13 Trends to follow | The Flooring Girl . Dark is followed by very light (and going toward lighter with water borne poly, less yellow). To me, the trendy floor colors are white wash (won't last long) and gray (will last longer than white, but not as long...more expensive/harder to do and harder to decorate with).

Granite is a staple, here to say. Some will prefer quartz, different people will like different patterns

Shiplap won't last. It's the new version of paneling. At least it's usually white.

firepits? not popular here in NY. Must be a weather/location thing.

Old 05-31-2017, 03:56 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieGartner View Post
I think for a lot of these, you need to look at why they are popular - what are the benefits, and look at the drawbacks.

Open concept - here to stay. They make space look larger, aid with communication/family, enables mom to keep better eye on kids.

Gray paint - will fade...paint colors always change and people want variety. A big reason gray is popular is because it's neutral and goes with many items. And, it goes w/ dark floors which are very trendy now. But, prob in 10 years, people will want a change and go back to more warm tones (on walls and floors)

Dark - will be around for prob 10 yrs. Dark goes w/ gray, so hand in hand. But, dark is harder to keep clean, so many opt for lighter as that is easier. (For flooring trends, you can see this article: 2017 Hardwood Flooring Trends - 13 Trends to follow | The Flooring Girl . Dark is followed by very light (and going toward lighter with water borne poly, less yellow). To me, the trendy floor colors are white wash (won't last long) and gray (will last longer than white, but not as long...more expensive/harder to do and harder to decorate with).

Granite is a staple, here to say. Some will prefer quartz, different people will like different patterns

Shiplap won't last. It's the new version of paneling. At least it's usually white.

firepits? not popular here in NY. Must be a weather/location thing.
I agree with a lot of this. However, fire pits are very popular here in Texas. We have mild winters with lots of clear nights in the 30s and 40s in Northeast Texas. So we can use firepits generally from October through May. That's a lot of fire pitting - LOL.

We use ours all the time. The mason who built ours said he is building at least 6 a month. His are pretty elaborate and/or large and he worked on ours for about four days. So that's good work. They don't seem to be going anywhere any time soon around here.

Old 05-31-2017, 08:36 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
I like having the closet(s) located IN the bathroom.

I like having a toilet room. In fact, no toilet room is a negative to me.

Old 06-01-2017, 07:15 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post

Well, amen to that, sister.

Old 06-01-2017, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well, amen to that, sister.
Me too. Our current house has a separate room for the toilet, and now that I've gotten used to it, seeing a toilet just plopped right next to a jacuzzi tub seems odd. Especially those tubs that have been all tricks out with designer tile, stained glass windows, glass jars of bath crystals, and fancy baskets of fluffy towels. And a toilet, just 5 inches away.

Old 06-01-2017, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post

speaking about toilet rooms, is that what they call a water closet? I've sometimes wondered exactly what a water closet was.

Old 06-01-2017, 07:56 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
Every house or apartment I've ever lived in, except one, has had the toilet right next to the sink. Where you brush your teeth. Frankly, I think it's a bad layout in this day and age when plumbing is no longer an expensive luxury item.

If I ever get to design a house truly to my specifications, I would not even have the toilet in the bathroom at all (i.e., in a separate enclosure within the bathroom) but I would have it separate altogether. I imagine that you go down the hallway, and one door opens to a room with just a toilet and a hand sink in it; and then the next door opens to a room with a bathtub/shower, sink, countertops for getting ready, maybe the entry to a walk in closet, etc. So when you go to the toilet, you are not doing it right next to your toothbrush and water glass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating