Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 07:53 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,908 times

Advertisements

Just saw that a new show is going to debut. Flip or Flop Vegas. The female lead has the 'look' of Christine in that she is in heels and made up to the max.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2017, 08:06 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
Just saw that a new show is going to debut. Flip or Flop Vegas. The female lead has the 'look' of Christine in that she is in heels and made up to the max.
Does she have that chin that doesn't move when she talks, like Christine?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MHg1-mpcUY

Old 03-08-2017, 08:10 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Does she have that chin that doesn't move when she talks, like Christine?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MHg1-mpcUY

LOLOLOL! I wasn't watching for that *snicker*

Old 03-08-2017, 09:08 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Flip or Flop always annoyed me. I enjoy Fixer Upper because the homes usually look very nice

Old 03-08-2017, 09:10 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,321,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
We all know HGTV is just entertainment and not to be used for real estate advice or even decorating advice. Having duly noted this, it's a guilty pleasure for me and I suspect for a lot of us. So I thought it might be fun to rag on it a little (and even point out the things they get right) ...

5. People who buy fixer upper homes apparently don't own any personal objects or artwork. Instead, they want someone to go to a flea market and buy a lot of random farm stuff to decorate their homes. Yes, please nail up a bunch of old records to my freshly painted my walls, that's what I'd love to see.
That. ^^^

I watched that program maybe three times and everything Mrs. Shiplap did to each house was the same. And Mr. Shiplap did some antic designed to make us think he is so adorable. Swinging from a tree or some childish escapade. I was also surprised to find out that the people having their house done didn't get to keep the stuff used to decorate it. I thought they bought the house but HGTV was paying for that woman to decorate it. But no, they have to pay her if they want to keep the giant clocks and the farm implements. But it must be wildly popular because everywhere I turn I see their faces plastered on something. Books, magazines, other TV shows, etc., etc. I started to go in Pier One the other day and I was met with a big poster of her face. Now that store is carrying stuff she designed. No thanks. I turned around and went to Target.

I haven't really seen an HGTV show I like for years now. The English guy, Michael Somebody, who mediated the fights between husbands and wives had my all-time favorite program. Years ago, though. I used to enjoy the people on Designed to Sell. Especially the mother/daughter real estate team in Southern California who would walk around the house pointing at things and moaning, "Oh, you can't sell a house with THAT in it!!" I thought Candice Olsen had great taste and a fun team of workers. I also enjoyed Curb Appeal. Is that even on anymore? I haven't seen anything new that catches my fancy.

But the worst of the worst to me is that smart aleck on A&E who flips houses in Las Vegas. He is beyond obnoxious. He is verbally abusive to his construction crews and his Realtors. Every episode I saw included some ridiculous, made-up time drama. And the way he disrespects his wife and bosses her around is shameful. Please tell me that program didn't last more than three episodes. I'm looking forward to seeing that guy someday on MSNBC's prison show. Lock Up - Las Vegas.

Last edited by Jukesgrrl; 03-08-2017 at 09:30 PM.. Reason: added info

Old 03-08-2017, 09:39 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,931,395 times
Actually, I have appraised a number of homes that were "made over" on an HGTV show and they were really nice.

Old 03-08-2017, 10:38 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
You clearly don't grasp the whole idea of HGTV.

It's entertainment!!! Nothing more. To use any "instruction" from these shows is literally "asking for it"!
Someone missed the "Just for Fun..." part of the thread title.

Old 03-08-2017, 10:39 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
It drives...builders insane when clients think a project can be done in as short amount of time

Yeah, enough said!

Old 03-09-2017, 06:23 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
That. ^^^

I watched that program maybe three times and everything Mrs. Shiplap did to each house was the same. And Mr. Shiplap did some antic designed to make us think he is so adorable. Swinging from a tree or some childish escapade. I was also surprised to find out that the people having their house done didn't get to keep the stuff used to decorate it. I thought they bought the house but HGTV was paying for that woman to decorate it. But no, they have to pay her if they want to keep the giant clocks and the farm implements. But it must be wildly popular because everywhere I turn I see their faces plastered on something. Books, magazines, other TV shows, etc., etc. I started to go in Pier One the other day and I was met with a big poster of her face. Now that store is carrying stuff she designed. No thanks. I turned around and went to Target.

I haven't really seen an HGTV show I like for years now. The English guy, Michael Somebody, who mediated the fights between husbands and wives had my all-time favorite program. Years ago, though. I used to enjoy the people on Designed to Sell. Especially the mother/daughter real estate team in Southern California who would walk around the house pointing at things and moaning, "Oh, you can't sell a house with THAT in it!!" I thought Candice Olsen had great taste and a fun team of workers. I also enjoyed Curb Appeal. Is that even on anymore? I haven't seen anything new that catches my fancy.

But the worst of the worst to me is that smart aleck on A&E who flips houses in Las Vegas. He is beyond obnoxious. He is verbally abusive to his construction crews and his Realtors. Every episode I saw included some ridiculous, made-up time drama. And the way he disrespects his wife and bosses her around is shameful. Please tell me that program didn't last more than three episodes. I'm looking forward to seeing that guy someday on MSNBC's prison show. Lock Up - Las Vegas.
You mean you LEFT A STORE because they carry a line by Joanna Gaines? Wow! By the way, Target carries the book about the Gaines, and check this out!
Fixer Upper Style- 35 Target items that will get you the Fixer Upper look!

Old 03-09-2017, 06:42 AM

1,192 posts, read 2,483,704 times
I'm almost always impressed with the curb appeal that the Gaines manage to achieve. One that I really liked was a traditional style house, and they added some French flair to it. They put in a circular driveway, built out the porch, added some curved roof dormers.

JG is shiplap happy, but I really like some of those headboards that Clint Harper builds with shiplap that was taken down during the reno. I also like those kids' craft tables that JG sometimes includes. They're a great touch, and most kids like having something low like those to work on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating