Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 09:12 PM

1,266 posts, read 5,616,585 times

Advertisements

hi all - I am pulling my hair out on trying to decide on paint colors for my bedroom and bath. I really want to put a chocolate brown on the walls in the bedroom and go a couple of shades lighter in the bathroom. Possibly going really dark brown in the water closet. Well any colors I come up with in the bedroom don't look quite right in the bathroom because all the tile in there is tan. Any color that looks good in the bath... well I wouldnt want to put it in the bedroom because they are too orangey tan. I've been using the fan deck from Sherwin Williams. Any suggestions?

To help.... I was looking at the strips that contain Hopsack (best for bedroom) and Tatami Tan's strip looks best with the bath. I really liked Mocha for the bedroom, but thought it's a little pinkish. My furniture is cherry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 09:37 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,657,003 times
i am a benjamin moore paint user myself. a few years ago, we painted our bathroom the peanut shell brown. believe me, it is really too dark and i do have a fondness for darker colors, but after all of the work, i did not feel like re-painting.
all i can say, is be really sure you like the deep chocolate color! be sure to use a tinted primer too and if you use an eggshell finish, be sure you can stand roller lines. it is hard to paint them out in the dark colors. you might want to think of using a flat paint!

Old 03-06-2008, 11:00 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,686,991 times
I have the Sherwin Williams fan deck too.

I am planning on painting my house Kilim Beige, Nomadic Desert, or Latte (SW6106, 6107 or 6108) I have to go pick up paint samples tomorrow and will probably pick one of those colors.

I have a friend who used sort of an Olive green throughout his house (he has a lot of cherry woods).

I did the Benjamin Moore ... umm ... one of the dark blues in my bathroom that I saw in a Pottery Barn catalog about a year ago. Anyway, it turned out horrible. I don't think I'll repeat that again

Old 03-07-2008, 03:55 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,368,302 times
What about doing a complimentary color to the chocolate brown vs a lighter shade of brown? Pale blue and chocolate brown are a popular color combo now, would that work with your bathroom? Can you post pictures so we can see the rooms and the tile.

Old 03-07-2008, 05:17 AM

8,545 posts, read 10,280,896 times
We have the kilm beige on every wall in the house...it's 3 years old and came with that color. we are for sale right now, otherwise I would be adding more color. If it doesn't sell going to paint..

Anyway, we had to repaint a couple walls that we had painted (burgundy) and that sherwin williams covered it in ONE coat. Great paint!

PS I like the brown and blue idea..

Old 03-07-2008, 06:55 AM

1,266 posts, read 5,616,585 times
My bedding is dark sable brown & light blue. I'm going to paint the other bathroom upstairs a light blue, so I really don't want to do it again in the master bath. The bathroom doesn't have a lot of open wall space, but it is very visible from the bedroom as it has two doors and is directly across the bedroom entrance. Once I get hubby to take some pictures, you will see how bronzey tan the tile is. Right now I'm leaning towards SW Latte in the bathroom. I have the latte color downstairs in the formal areas.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:27 AM

8,545 posts, read 10,280,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HEATHER72 View Post
My bedding is dark sable brown & light blue. I'm going to paint the other bathroom upstairs a light blue, so I really don't want to do it again in the master bath. The bathroom doesn't have a lot of open wall space, but it is very visible from the bedroom as it has two doors and is directly across the bedroom entrance. Once I get hubby to take some pictures, you will see how bronzey tan the tile is. Right now I'm leaning towards SW Latte in the bathroom. I have the latte color downstairs in the formal areas.
Heather, pictures would help. Latte would look nice with bronze..Maybe you could accent the blue with accessories?

Old 01-23-2009, 09:48 AM

48,209 posts, read 22,035,304 times
I am choosing paint colors too......my 1 yr old home has all off white walls and beige rugs.....no color.....the kitchen cabinetes are "birch" the granite counters are a lightish speckled blondish color as well.....lots of windows that we havent hung any curtains on.....the house is very very white! Our furniture is mission style and earth tone with sort of Navajo color pillows and fabric seat covers in the LR and DR. We have a fair amount of art work and hand craft items in the decor.

We are thinking of using a sherwin williams color called Rejuvinate or Emotional for both the LR and DR which are on either side of the entry way......and of using Eco Green in the familyroom kitchen that runs the length of the house on the sunny back side....there is a little breakfast alcove there as well and we thought we would use vegan....(one tone lighter than the Eco Green) for the alcove and then again in an upstairs hallway that can be seen from the entry way.

anyone have any experience with these colors.....or advice or opinions?

Old 01-24-2009, 11:38 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,124,421 times
Personal Color Viewer®

you can upload your own photo of your own room and play with color.

Old 01-24-2009, 01:54 PM

48,209 posts, read 22,035,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I am choosing paint colors too......my 1 yr old home has all off white walls and beige rugs.....no color.....the kitchen cabinetes are "birch" the granite counters are a lightish speckled blondish color as well.....lots of windows that we havent hung any curtains on.....the house is very very white! Our furniture is mission style and earth tone with sort of Navajo color pillows and fabric seat covers in the LR and DR. We have a fair amount of art work and hand craft items in the decor.

We are thinking of using a sherwin williams color called Rejuvinate or Emotional for both the LR and DR which are on either side of the entry way......and of using Eco Green in the familyroom kitchen that runs the length of the house on the sunny back side....there is a little breakfast alcove there as well and we thought we would use vegan....(one tone lighter than the Eco Green) for the alcove and then again in an upstairs hallway that can be seen from the entry way.

anyone have any experience with these colors.....or advice or opinions?
LOL I am rethinking the whole color scheme......because the house is open concept....I will probably stay with one color strip and choose different hues and shades on that strip...it is very confusing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating