Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 05:35 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,156,282 times

Advertisements

I recently acquired a used FREDDE desk (FREDDE Computer work station - IKEA). I've been after one for a while because I have two monitors and my current desk's setup is such that I cannot utilize them fully, but I am not super keen on having a piece of black furniture in my office, so I was thinking about painting it before assembly. Since I've never done it before, I could use some help. Here's some info from the product page about what it's made out of:

Frame/ Support: Steel, Epoxy/polyester powder coating
Table top: Particleboard, Melamine foil, ABS plastic
Pocket: Polypropylene
Back panel: Particleboard, Melamine foil, Foil
Side panel/ Shelf: Particleboard, Melamine foil, Plastic, Foil

So...thoughts? How difficult would it be and what would I use to paint it? My goal, obviously, would be for the paint not to leave residue on the items placed on it and for the smell to wear off quickly. We also have cats, so need to make sure no harm comes to them.

Also happy to explore alternatives such as vinyl wrapping, but that may be too elaborate and expensive.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2017, 02:59 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
I recently acquired a used FREDDE desk (FREDDE Computer work station - IKEA). I've been after one for a while because I have two monitors and my current desk's setup is such that I cannot utilize them fully, but I am not super keen on having a piece of black furniture in my office, so I was thinking about painting it before assembly. Since I've never done it before, I could use some help. Here's some info from the product page about what it's made out of:

Frame/ Support: Steel, Epoxy/polyester powder coating
Table top: Particleboard, Melamine foil, ABS plastic
Pocket: Polypropylene
Back panel: Particleboard, Melamine foil, Foil
Side panel/ Shelf: Particleboard, Melamine foil, Plastic, Foil

So...thoughts? How difficult would it be and what would I use to paint it? My goal, obviously, would be for the paint not to leave residue on the items placed on it and for the smell to wear off quickly. We also have cats, so need to make sure no harm comes to them.

Also happy to explore alternatives such as vinyl wrapping, but that may be too elaborate and expensive.

Thanks!
You can paint anything now. But I would visit a local paint store that sells retail and to pros and ask them for advice. They will a great source for product and procedure advice.

I suspect you will need to use a combination of spray paint for the metal and brush work for the other stuff. Or it might be, that you can spray it all, but might need more than one sort of paint.

If you visit one paint store and don't get good advice, visit another. Find the right resource and all your paint projects will be easier from then on.

Old 06-02-2017, 03:05 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
Thought?

Yeah, leave well enough alone. It maynot be your favorite color, but if the function is your first priority, you've already won.

Old 06-02-2017, 03:07 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,339,149 times
Ha, I have this desk. I imagine you can paint that without issue. My desk has held up for about 3 years now.

I'm considering another one though, because it's just not sufficient with multi-monitor.

Old 06-05-2017, 07:27 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,318,331 times
The metal parts will paint pretty easily, either with spray paint or a brush. Best practice would be to clean the parts then lightly sand with fine paper before painting. Minimum requirement is to clean thoroughly. Will probably take 2-3 coats to cover black paint.

It will be very very difficult to get any kind of paint to adhere reliably to the parts made of particleboard and covered with genuine imitation fake vinyl woodgrain (what they call "melamine coating"). It will tend to scratch when you breathe on it. And these will be your work surfaces where you are sliding keyboards, mice, pencils, three ring binders, etc.

There may be some extremely complicated and troublesome way to get paint to adhere reliably to this kind of material, but I don't know what it is. You may have reasonable results with contact paper.

The part made of polypropylene will probably be essentially impossible to paint.

It sounds like you have it already partially or completely disassembled; painting or contact-papering will require it to be disassembled. Trying to do anything with it assembled will probably result in it looking terrible.

Old 06-05-2017, 08:48 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times
Is color really that important because this job is going to take a significant amount of effort and some expense just to change the color on a $200 desk.

Old 06-06-2017, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Thought?

Yeah, leave well enough alone. It maynot be your favorite color, but if the function is your first priority, you've already won.
Yeah, unfortunately although I really want to come back with a snarky comment (something to the effect of this is not the question I asked, aesthetics, blah blah blah), it does look like a bit of a pain in the tuches to try to do.

Old 06-06-2017, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Is color really that important because this job is going to take a significant amount of effort and some expense just to change the color on a $200 desk.
On a $60 desk, no less (thank you, Craigslist). Yeah, like I said above, I might just put some colorful adhesives (like drawer lining or vinyl wrapping that Amazon sells cheaply-ish) on the main boards to cover up some imperfections and call it good.

Old 06-06-2017, 01:54 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,823,925 times
I painted a white Ikea cabinet (several coats of Kilz first after a good cleaning with a degreaser) and it was fine - but it was a cabinet, opened by a pull, so the actual paint surface didn't get used. I moved it once and put a deep scratch in it, fortunately not in a side that showed. The interior I left white.

A desk, which would get a lot of use, might not hold up so well.

Old 06-06-2017, 02:12 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
Yeah, unfortunately although I really want to come back with a snarky comment (something to the effect of this is not the question I asked, aesthetics, blah blah blah), it does look like a bit of a pain in the tuches to try to do.
"Tokhes"!
Speaking Yiddish is one thing- spelling it, quite another! Mazl-tov!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating