Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2017, 10:26 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,711,744 times

Advertisements

I often see the cute decorative storage box and I always want to buy some but I am not sure if they can be used for real storage. Will they fall apart when the box is full because I have small space and I will fill the box up. Are they durable? do you put items that you use on daily base or weekly base? Is there difference between buying some from Family dollar type store vs. Target, will there be quality difference or just decoration diff?

What type of items do you store in your decorative storage box? Do you find it useful or another storage system cluttering your house
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 10:34 AM

4,713 posts, read 3,472,599 times
For work I use these, then bring them home for the summer.

Cynthia Rowley Large Storage Box, Cosmic Black Floral | Staples®

For home I use several types in my closets, like:

https://www.forrent.com/blog/apt_lif...storage-boxes/

For the garage, I prefer to use the large clear plastic ones or just coordinating colors.

Old 06-10-2017, 07:15 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,116,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
I often see the cute decorative storage box and I always want to buy some but I am not sure if they can be used for real storage. Will they fall apart when the box is full because I have small space and I will fill the box up. Are they durable? do you put items that you use on daily base or weekly base? Is there difference between buying some from Family dollar type store vs. Target, will there be quality difference or just decoration diff?

What type of items do you store in your decorative storage box? Do you find it useful or another storage system cluttering your house
If you need it decorated and want to save money, buy contact paper and cover yourself. It will be cheaper and then you can simply buy the regular storage totes.

Old 06-10-2017, 09:12 AM

5,853 posts, read 5,281,784 times
I store all my old pictures in those boxes. I no longer have to buy new ones because all my pics are now digital. I only print out the ones that I will do something with (like hang on the wall).

Cat

Old 06-10-2017, 09:32 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Baskets, both covered and open. I have several lidded baskets that hold things like hotel size soaps and things in the guest bath. I use two big open baskets under my kitchen sink. One holds soaps and sponges, etc. and one holds rolls of foil, baggies, etc
A basket houses my bathroom appliances in the vanity. A pretty old basket houses the vacuum attachments in the closet.

An old wooden chest which serves as a sofa table, houses a bunch of yarn and knitting projects.

I'm a big fan of containment.

Old 06-10-2017, 09:42 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,609,827 times
I use strictly clear storage boxes with lids! I need to see what is in them, and sometimes when I'm in a hurry to clean up, I can grab them up and stack them if I'm doing a project on the kitchen table.

Old 06-10-2017, 12:21 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,116,584 times
I personally am very organized and DH often says I never met a storage container that I wasn't in love with. That said, I agree with gentlearts, if they are to be part of your furnishings, I too would prefer baskets. The decorative storage containers seem very expensive to me and I would rather use the regular storage containers, but space is not a problem for me.

Old 06-10-2017, 01:13 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,779,656 times
I have one of those decorative fake books which opens up to be a storage box. I use it on my nightstand to house tissues and hand lotion. Much better to my eye than just having those items sitting out in the open. My nightstand is an antique two-level design which does not have drawers. Works for me.

Old 06-10-2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
If you need it decorated and want to save money, buy contact paper and cover yourself. It will be cheaper and then you can simply buy the regular storage totes.
one of the reason I haven't purchased decorative boxes even thought I love seeing them & always feel like they will give me more storage is because they are so expensive for something made out of paper.

Old 06-10-2017, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I personally am very organized and DH often says I never met a storage container that I wasn't in love with. That said, I agree with gentlearts, if they are to be part of your furnishings, I too would prefer baskets. The decorative storage containers seem very expensive to me and I would rather use the regular storage containers, but space is not a problem for me.
Me too I love organizer but I am afraid somethings I buy too many containers/basket & then I have clutter of basket on top of normal clutter. Especially if the box aren't big enough or not right size. i am trying to figure out what type of items will be most beneficial to keep inside
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating