Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 07:25 PM

2,319 posts, read 2,170,975 times

Advertisements

I just went o Home Depot and asked for recommendation of joint compound, but I was told that it does not work. If it does not work, I have to paint it directly, rather than seeing it cracks in the near future.

Anyone has any experience filling wood panel grooves?

Removing wood panel is NOT an option for me at this point, if I does not like what it looks like, in the future I may remove wood panel.

Any brand of paint recommendation for wood panel?

Thank you very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2017, 07:41 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,086,413 times
Are you talking about wood sheet paneling?

We painted that in the house I grew up in.... did not fill the grooves, and it looked really good. We brush-finished it, carefully with the grain, to leave the wood texture, instead of the orange-peel look that would be left by a roller.

Ours was just two walls in the room, we painted them a darker shade than the rest of the room as an accent.

My advice, fill any holes or damaged areas with wood filler, but leave the grooves. Brush the finish.

Old 07-01-2017, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Are you talking about wood sheet paneling?

We painted that in the house I grew up in.... did not fill the grooves, and it looked really good. We brush-finished it, carefully with the grain, to leave the wood texture, instead of the orange-peel look that would be left by a roller.

Ours was just two walls in the room, we painted them a darker shade than the rest of the room as an accent.

My advice, fill any holes or damaged areas with wood filler, but leave the grooves. Brush the finish.
Here are the photos, could you give me some recommendation?

Initially, I would like to cover the groove, but if it does not work (if it will cracks), then I have no choice but paint it directly.

I need to make a decision quick, and need to paint it quickly. I have appointment with wood flooring installing contractor. Apparently, it is better for me to get it done before wood flooring installation.

Thanks much!
Attached Thumbnails
How to fill wood panel grooves?-kitchen-photo.jpg   How to fill wood panel grooves?-lower-floor-photo.jpg  

Old 07-01-2017, 08:29 PM

Oh it's like wainscotting! I would absolutely paint that and not fill the grooves!

Talk to the guys at the paint store about wiping it down with a degreaser first, because it's in a kitchen.

Then use a primer, then a nice gloss or semi gloss paint for a kitchen. I wish I had pictures of how ours turned out. I think you'd be happy with it if your style is traditional!

Old 07-01-2017, 08:32 PM

As you can see, there are many types of wainscoting and the width of the boards can vary quite a bit, you don't need to change your boards at all. Traditional would be to paint it white with a color above.

Examples here: https://www.google.com/search?q=wain...w=1228&bih=840

Old 07-01-2017, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Oh it's like wainscotting! I would absolutely paint that and not fill the grooves!

Talk to the guys at the paint store about wiping it down with a degreaser first, because it's in a kitchen.

Then use a primer, then a nice gloss or semi gloss paint for a kitchen. I wish I had pictures of how ours turned out. I think you'd be happy with it if your style is traditional!
Thanks. Please look at below post, is this paint okay for kitchen? It does say "Stain blocking", it does NOT need prime separately, it is mixture of prime and paint.

If it is okay for the kitchen, then I will use the remaining paint; if it is not the right paint for the kitchen, then I will choose a new paint, and then use the new paint to paint interior wall by the front door again. Just prefer to keep them in the same color.

The wood panel is not close to stove, the wood panel is around dining table.

Thanks.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/home-...aint-last.html

Old 07-01-2017, 08:53 PM

I don't know, but you could take it to the paint store and have them check it and stir it again for you. They'll tell you if it's still good... and mix a new batch to match it if you wanted more of the same color

Old 07-01-2017, 09:36 PM

Quote:
I don't know, but you could take it to the paint store and have them check it and stir it again for you. They'll tell you if it's still good... and mix a new batch to match it if you wanted more of the same color
Thanks. Actually, I was asking if the paint is okay for kitchen by considering the words "Stain blocking" and "Primer". (assuming it is still good, and it should be good since it is okay to be stored for at least 2-3 yrs)

"How long it will last" is a separate question in the different post.

Old 07-01-2017, 10:03 PM

I'm sure it will be fine then.

Old 07-02-2017, 03:37 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,700,043 times
How to paint paneling:
https://www.bobvila.com/articles/how...wood-paneling/

I personally LOVE the look of painted paneling and/or wainscoting if it is done correctly. You want to make sure that the paneling is flat everywhere and not warped or bowed anywhere or it will really show once it is painted. Here are some rooms samples where the paneling was painted:
https://www.google.com/search?q=wain...inted+paneling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating