Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 07:21 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
I would wait at least six months before deciding. It's amazing how things become clearer once you live somewhere for a while. A year is even better

That being said my first choice would be to do all wood and restain it all to a lighter color and only have one type/color flooring.

If that's not possible I like the idea of the tile. But you may find the price of that isn't that much less than doing the wood project

But seriously, don't make any decisions now. The answers will come to you
I know that you're right about waiting... but...

I know from the first floor guy that tile will cost about the same as wood. I was surprised about that, but he explained that the installation is more labor-intensive, which makes sense.

I absolutely don't want to re-stain the entire level. The work involved would be horrendous and, besides, I love the dark wood.

I'll try waiting, though. I've never been that successful at it, but I'll try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2017, 08:31 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,549,353 times
We're redoing our entire first floor in tile. PETS.

We chose Ivetta White porcelain from Lowes.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Style-Selec...-72-in/3772839

We liked it because it looked stone-ish; and just has a very neutral feel to it. It has random striations in greys and beiges, so it goes well with most colors. We have it in a room with teal walls (looks great!) and rooms with light green walls (looks great!) and as we continue to tile it will eventually be in rooms with cream to light yellow walls (have put it down in there as color trial - looked great).

In general, it seems to be a very popular tile. The pic on the lowes website doesn't really do it justice unfortunately. Some of the reviews folks have posted have shown the tiling they did and do a much better job of showing it off properly.

We're laying it in a 12x12, 6x6 alterating; to minimize the "checkerboard" effect that you can end up with in a room of 12x12s only.

Your kitchen looks nice and bright. I think a light tile flooring (whether this one or another one you find that you like better) will compliment things well.

Old 07-24-2017, 08:33 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,249,979 times
What about putting vinyl plank or something on top of the vinyl sheet? Prettier than vinyl sheet, more resilient than hardwood. Easiest DIY floor.

https://shawfloors.com/flooring/viny...0319v/montreal

Last edited by jhtrico1850; 07-24-2017 at 09:06 AM..

Old 07-24-2017, 09:06 AM

548 posts, read 1,217,529 times
Honestly, I love the idea of the same wood throughout. I don't think that the dark wood would make your kitchen too dark at all. With all of the white that you have in there already, that's just about impossible, and I think the contrast would be nice and make everything white "pop." I also think that having the same flooring throughout would make your whole space look bigger because the flooring isn't chopped into sections. I have wood in my kitchen and love the look and feel, and your wood looks lovely. If you don't like the lack of contrast between your dining furniture and the dark wood, I would put a little rug down (that's where you could bring in a pop of color like red). I would recommend you search the internet for images of white kitchens with dark wood floors to see if you like it.

Edited to add: Your kitchen is lovely by the way!

Old 07-24-2017, 09:08 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Personally I prefer the cohesive look of the same type of flooring in an open floor plan. And I think the dark floor looks great where you see it up against the light counter (island?) where the bar stools are.

But I would suggest getting a prefinished product that matches the existing flooring rather than putting in site finished flooring and re-staining the rest. Older wood doesn't always absorb stain in the same way as the new wood, so it doesn't necessarily match exactly anyway.

There are so many products out there that I'm sure you can find something that goes, and they can just weave it a bit to blend it in (meaning remove a little bit of the existing floor at the transition point and then do a mix and match with the old and the new floor to create that transition)

Old 07-24-2017, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
We're redoing our entire first floor in tile. PETS.

We chose Ivetta White porcelain from Lowes.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Style-Selec...-72-in/3772839

We liked it because it looked stone-ish; and just has a very neutral feel to it. It has random striations in greys and beiges, so it goes well with most colors. We have it in a room with teal walls (looks great!) and rooms with light green walls (looks great!) and as we continue to tile it will eventually be in rooms with cream to light yellow walls (have put it down in there as color trial - looked great).

In general, it seems to be a very popular tile. The pic on the lowes website doesn't really do it justice unfortunately. Some of the reviews folks have posted have shown the tiling they did and do a much better job of showing it off properly.

We're laying it in a 12x12, 6x6 alterating; to minimize the "checkerboard" effect that you can end up with in a room of 12x12s only.

Your kitchen looks nice and bright. I think a light tile flooring (whether this one or another one you find that you like better) will compliment things well.

No pets here anymore -- just a pup who visits sometimes.

Thank you! I'm going to check those out. I like the "alternating" idea -- great info! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhtrico1850 View Post
What about putting vinyl plank or something on top of the vinyl sheet? Prettier than vinyl sheet, more resilient than hardwood. Easiest DIY floor.

https://shawfloors.com/flooring/viny...0319v/montreal
LOVE that floor in the picture! Sigh...

Hmmm. On top of the vinyl sheet, huh? I'll ask my flooring guy on Thursday. I like the "less labor" aspect of that, if it's possible.

I'm not a DIY gal, although I wish that I was. I'm a CAG (call a guy) gal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albuquerque101 View Post
Honestly, I love the idea of the same wood throughout. I don't think that the dark wood would make your kitchen too dark at all. With all of the white that you have in there already, that's just about impossible, and I think the contrast would be nice and make everything white "pop." I also think that having the same flooring throughout would make your whole space look bigger because the flooring isn't chopped into sections. I have wood in my kitchen and love the look and feel, and your wood looks lovely. If you don't like the lack of contrast between your dining furniture and the dark wood, I would put a little rug down (that's where you could bring in a pop of color like red). I would recommend you search the internet for images of white kitchens with dark wood floors to see if you like it.

Thank you!!!

I do like the pictures that I saw of the dark wood floors in a white kitchen. Sigh...

Do you think it would be too dark and heavy in my eating area, though, with the only two pieces of furniture in there being dark wood too, along with the grey chairs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Personally I prefer the cohesive look of the same type of flooring in an open floor plan. And I think the dark floor looks great where you see it up against the light counter (island?) where the bar stools are.

But I would suggest getting a prefinished product that matches the existing flooring rather than putting in site finished flooring and re-staining the rest. Older wood doesn't always absorb stain in the same way as the new wood, so it doesn't necessarily match exactly anyway.

There are so many products out there that I'm sure you can find something that goes, and they can just weave it a bit to blend it in (meaning remove a little bit of the existing floor at the transition point and then do a mix and match with the old and the new floor to create that transition)
The cohesiveness was exactly my first thought. Then my second and third and ninth thoughts conflicted with that.

Good info on the old wood issue not matching anyway! I like the "weave, blend, transition" information. More to talk to my floor guy about on Thursday. Thanks!!!

Old 07-24-2017, 11:07 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,249,979 times
Definitely try to go to a home improvement store, so you can see and feel all your flooring options

Old 07-24-2017, 11:07 AM

5,853 posts, read 5,281,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albuquerque101 View Post

This! I agree on all points.

Cat

Old 07-24-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhtrico1850 View Post
Definitely try to go to a home improvement store, so you can see and feel all your flooring options
Will do!

I brought home two options already, neither of which worked but looked great online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
This! I agree on all points.

Cat
Thanks!

Old 07-24-2017, 06:24 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
First a couple thoughts on materials.

If the vinyl is glued down throughout the floor, a floating floor can be placed on top without removal. If it's just edge glued, it must be removed and glue scarped off the slab. To find out if it's edge glued or not, use a vacuum cleaner and suck in the middle in various places - if it stays down you're fine.

Personally I wouldn't put an interconnected floating vinyl or laminate down in the kitchen at all. You're going to drop knives, silverware, pots/pans, plates, etc. and it will tear up the vinyl in no time flat leaving large gouges in it. There is a reason why kitchens traditionally have tile floors.

A grouted vinyl tile works OK in kitchens and we went with that option for ours due to cost and ease of install. If you damage a tile, it takes about 5 minutes to remove it and stick another one down for $1-3 a piece. Re-grout it and bam you're back to new again.

Some thoughts on your kitchen:

I would buy new cabinet doors for your lower cabs and not sure why you took the ones off up top but buy new ones of those as well in a more modern design. They aren't that expensive and it will completely update that aspect.

You have so much white white white. Get rid of the appliances and replace with SS. I'm wondering why you did a white countertop? If you wanted white cabinets I probably would've done a dark grey or black countertop in order to get contrast. This would've opened up your options with flooring because now you really can't do a light flooring color or your kitchen will look sterile (more than it does now).

If you want this done "right" the first time I would carry through your wood floors into the kitchen and make it continuous. I think given your chosen colors in the kitchen you really need something other than a light colored floor in there. IMO.

We had sheet vinyl and carpet on a builder grade cheapie starter house and swapped them out to refresh for resale as the previous flooring was 12+ years old and totally spent. If we were staying we would've painted the cabs and redone countertops but there would be no real return on that so we just wanted to make it look decent.

The flooring was $0.90/sq ft from Home Depot and the grouted vinyl planks were around $1.15/sq ft from Lowes. Note the crooked grout lines are a result of the panoramic picture taking, not the actual lines (they're straight in real life).
Attached Thumbnails
What to do about kitchen floor-img-0500.jpg   What to do about kitchen floor-img-0682.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating