Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 05:49 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking View Post
First off, I'd like to thank everyone for their very useful suggestions. But Christine, you take the cake! Thank you, thank you, thank you! I just looked at your thread and your cabinets are almost identical to ours. That made it extremely easy to see what it would look like if we painted them white. I have a very good painter that just finished painting the outside and interior of our house and had asked him about possibly painting the cabinets before he finished up. Looks like I'll be going that route and then finding a handyman or carpenter to fix the broken drawers. Once again, thanks so much.
Glad to be of help!! Hopefully your painter is experienced with cabinets. I did a lot of research and the way to go (but not the only way) is to use Benjamin Moore's Advance paint. It is streak-free and levels out so it is good for creating a clean surface on wood, as well as your trim.

Use a Zinser (sp?) primer that works to take the grain out of the wood. It won't all come out but it will help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2017, 08:38 AM

882 posts, read 688,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Glad to be of help!! Hopefully your painter is experienced with cabinets. I did a lot of research and the way to go (but not the only way) is to use Benjamin Moore's Advance paint. It is streak-free and levels out so it is good for creating a clean surface on wood, as well as your trim.

Use a Zinser (sp?) primer that works to take the grain out of the wood. It won't all come out but it will help.
Even more good news. The painter I use is a rep for Benjamin Moore paints.

Old 08-07-2017, 11:21 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
1) You will have better results to fix broken drawers first then paint.

2) You can also improve the looks of unpainted wood cabinets by giving them a good cleaning with mineral spirits, then a coat of linseed oil, and finish off with a new coat of varnish, in case the color matching of painting becomes too much hassle.

Old 08-10-2017, 12:17 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
...the way to go (but not the only way) is to use Benjamin Moore's Advance paint.
My experience with "waterborne alkyds" is frankly disastrous! As long as oil-based alkyds are available I'll keep using them- unless the VOC goes to nothing!

The EPA is F'ing up my paint projects- and that's putting it mildly!

Old 08-11-2017, 07:16 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
Wow - $10k just to reface the cabinets? How big is the kitchen? I'm buying a house with an eat-in kitchen but there aren't that many cabinets. I was hoping for a complete redo for about $10k.

How "dated" is the kitchen? What decade? If the cabinets are real wood can you paint them and add some new knobs, maybe replace the countertops?

Last edited by chiluvr1228; 08-11-2017 at 07:31 AM..

Old 08-11-2017, 03:51 PM

348 posts, read 416,140 times
OP had a nice picture midway through the thread. Doesn't look like the cabinets currently have any knobs at all.
Fresh new contrasting hinges once they're painted (or re-stained) might be nice. Oil the rails so the drawers slide well. Getting the broken drawers fixed should be priority - function over cosmetics.
Apart from the cabinets, I actually quite like your kitchen tile. You might, however, try putting in a stick-on metal backsplash behind the stove. I saw some at the hardware store the other day and was surprised at how amazing they looked - not cheap like I expected. I think Aspect was the brand. I dug the metal hex tile they had, but there's also some of the "relief" tiles that I think would look great in your kitchen with the kind of fleur de lis pattern. Dated? How about up-dated with shiny?

-T.

Old 08-14-2017, 03:23 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,432,316 times
I wouldn't paint them white if you are keeping the countertop, it would be too much white. Paint them grey or replace the countertop with something nice but not necessarily more expensive granite.

Old 11-09-2017, 04:36 PM

Well, we ended up just staining the cabinets. The Mrs looked up how to do it on a DIY website and did a great job on it. Ultimately, it was no big deal at all. We put the house up for rental on the web and less than 36 hours later, we had a renter who paid at near the top of the range ($4k). The demand for housing in the Bay Area never ceases to amaze me.

Old 11-09-2017, 05:21 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,908 times
Congratulations!!

Old 11-10-2017, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
Congratulations!!
Thanks. Now it's on to a new adventure in another city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating