Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 07:04 AM

2,327 posts, read 2,178,003 times

Advertisements

Black photo: Current layout

Red photo: Contractor's proposal.

Green photo: The proposal in my mind before contractor came.

Initially, I disagreed with contractor's proposal, since I thought interior wall bears weight. He educated me that it is the black metal pole bears weight, not interior wall. Now I agree with his opinion.

But my question is: what is the most common basement layout? Whole basement as a unit (open space) suggested by contractor?

If it is your basement, what is your opinion? Movie room is NOT a must for me, so I am open to other suggestions.

What to do with water pipe stuff (drain pipe?) on the ground (in the green photo)? Should I cover it with vinyl flooring?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Basement finish layout suggestion?-11.jpg   Basement finish layout suggestion?-12.jpg   Basement finish layout suggestion?-13.jpg   Basement finish layout suggestion?-1.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2017, 07:51 AM

8,418 posts, read 7,414,580 times
Questions:

(1) Where is the black water pipe located?
(2) Where is the laundry sink located?
(3) Where is the furnace located?
(4) Where is the water heater located?
(5) Where are the main support beam and supporting posts located?

The plan would be to hide the appliances and such within a separate room and to hide the plumbing/ducting within the walls or bulkheads.

My guess is that your contractor drew the plan to meet the above parameters - I imagine that the jog in the wall may be more than just a TV niche (but I may be wrong).

As for a wall between your floor drain and your laundry - the issue is that a washing machine overflow or water line failure needs a path to the floor drain, and your proposed walls in the second and third designs blocks that.

Old 11-20-2017, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Questions:

The plan would be to hide the appliances and such within a separate room and to hide the plumbing/ducting within the walls or bulkheads.

My guess is that your contractor drew the plan to meet the above parameters - I imagine that the jog in the wall may be more than just a TV niche (but I may be wrong).

As for a wall between your floor drain and your laundry - the issue is that a washing machine overflow or water line failure needs a path to the floor drain, and your proposed walls in the second and third designs blocks that.
See the attached photo in this post.

1) I guess you mean black metal pole, not really water pipe. It is the pole support weight. Look at first post, there is a black metal cuboid laid on the black metal pole. I guess this also answer your question (5)

2) Right next to washer, look at the current layout photo.

3) & 4) See attached photo.

Now I decide to move dryer/washer/sink next to water heater, they all stay against the same wall, this is contractor's plan.

He is handy man, not actually from a company, he does not know professional drawing, just rough hand drawing on the paper (for 1-2 minutes) and give me the idea.

What should I do with floor drain? Does it have anything to do with sink? Contractor can get a longer pipe to connect sink to drain.
Attached Thumbnails
Basement finish layout suggestion?-11-1-.jpg  

Last edited by Baike; 11-20-2017 at 08:25 AM..

Old 11-20-2017, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Questions:

When sink move to the wall, it can still access floor drain. Just replace the red section with a long pipe from sink's new location.

But overall, I am concerned more about main layout design: is it common to have open basement space? I mean if it is a good idea to remove interior wall? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Basement finish layout suggestion?-20.jpg   Basement finish layout suggestion?-11-1-.jpg  

Last edited by Baike; 11-20-2017 at 08:42 AM..

Old 11-20-2017, 11:41 AM

So if I understand correctly, the first diagram in the original post is how the basement currently exists right now, and the plan is to remove the interior walls down the middle of the room and shift the washer/dryer/sink over to the wall with the furnace and the water heater. It also appears that in the fourth picture of the OP we're looking at the main steel I-beam and a support post, and not a black water drain pipe like I originally thought.

Yes, the interior walls in the basement can be removed without damaging the house's structure (said the anonymous guy on the internet, who's expertise is watching TV shows about remodeling). Is the goal to make the basement one large 26x22 room, with a bump out of 13x6 for a combination utility/laundry room?

EDIT: OK, I get it, I think. Your handyman is suggesting moving the laundry from the far left corner of the basement to the side wall of the basement next to the furnace and water heater. You're the one OK with moving the laundry, but question whether such a large room is desirable.

Last edited by djmilf; 11-20-2017 at 11:49 AM..

Old 11-20-2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlebeH View Post
When sink move to the wall, it can still access floor drain. Just replace the red section with a long pipe from sink's new location.
The floor drain is in the floor, the red section on the laundry sink is going to a wastewater pipe. Those are two different things.

And if your plan is to run a 20 foot pipe from the location of the new sink back to the existing wastewater pipe, my guess (as a not-plumber) is that there will at least be venting issues, if not building code violations.

Old 11-20-2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Initially, I disagreed with contractor's proposal, since I thought interior wall bears weight. He educated me that it is the black metal pole bears weight, not interior wall. Now I agree with his opinion.
Quote:
He is handy man, not actually from a company, he does not know professional drawing, just rough hand drawing on the paper (for 1-2 minutes) and give me the idea.
So this guy is a handy man and not actually a contractor?

Old 11-20-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
So this guy is a handy man and not actually a contractor?
Well, he is experienced, but not well educated, not into computer stuff, not speaking good English, no license. But don't get me wrong, he is indeed experienced, a lot of my friends hired him because of quality work and quite reasonable price.
Regarding skill set, there is no difference between him and professional contractors. But he does not have professional license, hiring him will require home owner to apply for permit as DIY project.

Old 11-20-2017, 11:58 AM

Quote:
The floor drain is in the floor, the red section on the laundry sink is going to a wastewater pipe. Those are two different things.

And if your plan is to run a 20 foot pipe from the location of the new sink back to the existing wastewater pipe, my guess (as a not-plumber) is that there will at least be venting issues, if not building code violations.
Not 20 feet, from the basement size (as photo shows), it is about 12 feet.

But my question is more about main layout design.

Old 11-20-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Well, he is experienced, but not well educated, not into computer stuff, not speaking good English, no license. But don't get me wrong, he is indeed experienced, a lot of my friends hired him because of quality work and quite reasonable price.
Regarding skill set, there is no difference between him and professional contractors. But he does not have professional license, hiring him will require home owner to apply for permit as DIY project.
OK, do what you want, but the fact that the handy man is saying that you could move the laundry sink 12 feet away from the drain stack and doesn't appear to be addressing the issue of proper drain venting tells me that he may capable of what he says, but you will probably end up with a laundry sink that doesn't drain properly.

I'm no plumber, but a quick google about how far away you can move a sink from a drain vent says that if the connecting sink to drain pipe is 2 inches in diameter, the farthest recommended distance is only 5 feet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating