Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2018, 08:35 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,415,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
For those of you that have had corelle for a long time, does the pattern last? My daughter asked for a set for christmas with a particular pattern that she just fell in love with. I'm contemplating buying a second set for her in case the patterns wears away easily. Thoughts? http://prod.ebayimages.npsstore.com....790009f741.jpg
As others have said, the pattern on the older stock lasted forever. My mom had a set from the '60's with the little green flowers and it was perfect when we gave it to another family member a few years ago.

We purchased some plain Corelle in the '90's when our kids were little, and though there was no pattern, the edges started to get uncomfortably rough after about 15 years and we stopped using it. It's still accessible and I'll pull it out for things like thawing meat, but it's no longer something I would use for everyday dining, even just for the two of us. Don't know what caused that, because it didn't happen with my mom's older set.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2018, 11:37 AM

5,851 posts, read 5,279,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramercy View Post
I love my flatware and can't see myself parting with it at anytime. It's Reed & Barton "Middleberg". A few years ago, I bought some extra spoons and a few more forks from eBay as a few went missing over the years. So plain, but sturdy - I can't even bend them.

My "good" flatware is Oneida "Eden". I've loved this pattern since the first day I laid eyes on it working in the China & crystal department. Years later I lucked out on getting a nice set on eBay for way less than it should've gone for.
When I was in the market for flatware, I knew I wanted vintage because the new stuff is mostly made in China, very poor quality. I looked into Oneida because I knew they were a good name. However, in the last few years they have been making their wares in China and the quality is not as good as they used to be. And they still have the same patterns. So, if you buy Oneida, you are not sure if you are getting the vintage good quality or the new poor quality. So, I opted for a vintage Japanese company. I am very please with my choice.

Cat

Old 01-01-2018, 12:01 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramercy View Post
Agree. I never understood why sterling silver flatware gets museum treatment when it should be used everyday.
Agreed! I'm going to dig mine out of the china cabinet today. New Year's resolution!

My silver flatware was a gift from my mother-in-law - her "gifts" were all stuff she didn't want anymore, so the silver she gave me is all mismatched, but I like it that way.

Old 01-02-2018, 11:39 AM

2,538 posts, read 1,909,354 times
I have plain white square dinnerware and fiestaware in turquoise, yellow and scarlet. Lots of mix and match possibilities.

Old 01-02-2018, 12:57 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,927,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
For those of you that have had corelle for a long time, does the pattern last? My daughter asked for a set for christmas with a particular pattern that she just fell in love with. I'm contemplating buying a second set for her in case the patterns wears away easily. Thoughts? http://prod.ebayimages.npsstore.com....790009f741.jpg
I passed down a set of Corelle dishes, which I purchased in 1991, to my son and it is still in great shape and has held up very well with two households of kids (mine and now his) and everyday use. That set is used everyday at his house and looks brand new.

I bought another set for myself (and husband) in 2014 which is also doing great. I love Corelle!

I say if your daughter fell in love with it then she should go for it. Also, they do have a warranty.

https://www.corelle.com/warranty-vitrelle.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges View Post
As others have said, the pattern on the older stock lasted forever. My mom had a set from the '60's with the little green flowers and it was perfect when we gave it to another family member a few years ago.

We purchased some plain Corelle in the '90's when our kids were little, and though there was no pattern, the edges started to get uncomfortably rough after about 15 years and we stopped using it. It's still accessible and I'll pull it out for things like thawing meat, but it's no longer something I would use for everyday dining, even just for the two of us. Don't know what caused that, because it didn't happen with my mom's older set.
Weird... I have never heard of that happening to Correlle no matter what decade it was made and bought in.
Maybe it was counterfeit. Haha!!!

Last edited by geebabe; 01-02-2018 at 02:05 PM..

Old 01-02-2018, 02:08 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,590,136 times
I love elegant and simple. In white~
Attached Thumbnails
Do you like colorful or patterned dinnerware sets?-shopping.jpg  

Old 01-02-2018, 04:40 PM

4,186 posts, read 3,399,821 times
It's also fun to take a color scheme (eg: blue on white), and work each place setting with as many variations of the blue on white theme as you have on hand, with each piece from a different set. Blue Onion...a few of the Corelle classics....patterns like that.

Old 01-02-2018, 09:04 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drolli22 View Post
Do you set your table with colorful plates and would you buy dinnerware sets for each holiday if you did not have to worry about storing the plates? How many sets do you own? There are so many different designs out there and it is just so hard to decide which color or pattern to buy...and I am just curious if anyone else is tempted to buy new sets every season when they are in stores.
Six place settings of plain white Apilco porcelain. And, no, I would not buy additional patterned sets even if I had plenty of space to store them. I am fairly minimalistic in my kitchen and in life overall, too.

Old 12-19-2020, 02:25 PM

1 posts, read 2,596 times
We have several dinnerware sets. I prefer minimalism and choose only balck or white plates

Old 12-19-2020, 06:35 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,069,239 times
Our everyday plates are white bone China by Lenox. They were made in the USA (in. Roth Carolina, I believe). This is the only bone China made in the US from what I understand.

Our previous set was an all white embossed set by Wedgwood.

Formal dishes are white edged in platinum by Lenox AND a white embossed by Wedgwood.

No color, no pattern...white, white, white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating