Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 01:42 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,341,534 times

Advertisements

Now that Christmas Day is past, I was wondering, when do you plan to take your Christmas lights down?

We plan to take ours down on January 6. We will take down our backyard Star Showers and the LED lights wrapping the tree in our front yard. Our icicle lights on our back fence will remain up, but we won't turn them on except for parties. The red and green bulbs in our front light fixtures will be changed to red and pink for Valentine's Day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2017, 01:47 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
We keep our lights up outside till January 6. Inside, I generally take down the Christmas tree stuff and Santa stuff but leave out the religious themed stuff like Nativity sets, or wintery things that aren't specifically Christmassy. I nearly always take the trees and Santa stuff down some time between Christmas and New Years. So it's like two waves, which I find to be more manageable anyway - LOL.

Old 12-28-2017, 02:22 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,422,074 times
All Christmas decorations were down and put away by 2pm on Christmas day. That's about normal.... easy when it takes ~10 minutes to put it all away.

Old 12-28-2017, 02:30 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Well, I consider the Christmas holiday season to be from the day after Thanksgiving through January 6, or at least from the start of Advent through Epiphany. I swear, our next door neighbors, who had an elaborate Christmas brouhaha in their front yard, must have rushed home from across town and taken down everything before they even had a piece of pecan pie and coffee Christmas afternoon!

I have a good friend who always throws a fabulous holiday party during the week between Christmas and New Years and she always has everything in her house and yard decorated and looking great. It's one of my favorite yearly events.

I don't do all this decorating for two or three weeks, I'll tell you that much. I'm going to celebrate for at least five weeks, maybe even six or so!

Old 12-28-2017, 02:33 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
The tree comes down today, but the lights outside will have to wait until 1/6. Hopefully it's warmer and dry then. Normally I would leave the tree up longer but this one is getting dry and dropping needles so it needs to go.

Old 12-28-2017, 02:46 PM

24,502 posts, read 17,239,538 times
I have a display at our office which is on a main road and that is taken down after New Years.
Our Christmas tree is not real and that has been known to stay up to Easter one year with the decorations changing from Christmas (it has a nautical theme this year) to Valentines day, to St. Patricks day, to Easter.

I have a large scale train going around the tree and since it is too cold to run the outdoor trains this serves as my "train fix" and that is why it has stayed up so long in years past plus why wife likes the tree.

I think this year it will come down some time in January.

Old 12-28-2017, 03:02 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,341,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Our Christmas tree is not real and that has been known to stay up to Easter one year with the decorations changing from Christmas (it has a nautical theme this year) to Valentines day, to St. Patricks day, to Easter.
For our front light fixtures we do colored lights (red and pink Valentine's Day colors being our upcoming switchover for January 6) for various holidays, although for 2018 we will probably skip the green St. Patrick's Day and go straight to the yellow and pink Easter colors due to the early date that Easter falls on (April 1, which is also April Fool's Day coincidentally).

Old 12-28-2017, 03:16 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,738,871 times
We’re taking down the inside decorations this weekend, but outside will need to wait till it gets warmer. Its been single digits and even on the negatives so no one will be outside removing their lights. We won’t turn them on anymore though.

Old 12-28-2017, 03:16 PM

4,385 posts, read 4,391,598 times
I took ours down today. Cold weather is coming and I need to get all this stuff in storage before the polar express roars through.

Plus the Sooners are playing Georgia on New Years day and I gotta get a bunch of OU flags up. ;-)

Boomerr!!

Old 12-28-2017, 03:51 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
I'm a procrastinator...but if I had outside stuff up it would just be too cold here to take down - we're looking at some sub-zero nights and days in the teens for the next few days. That said...I've had my tree up until Valentine's day before - just because I enjoy the lights so much and it seems a shame to take it down after just a couple weeks for Christmas itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating