Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 12:55 PM

5,118 posts, read 3,429,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Funny that you mention it KB, a formal dining room was a requirement for me in our retirement home. That said, not only did we rarely use the FD in our NY home, we use it about the same here. But when I want to have one, I am so glad I do, especially when we have a bunch of people over, it would be tough using our kitchen table that is round and seats 4. The table always has a nice centerpiece on it and if not a table cloth then a pretty table runner. I do know that many no longer share my feelings, but I think that will change back too.
I have the only floor plan in my neighborhood that doesn't have a separate dining room. We have two dining spaces, but the larger space is the corner of a large open area. When I attend social events at other homes, it hits me how well that separate space works and how much I miss having it. For one thing, it's nice to be able to contain noise to make conversation easier. It's definitely on the list for my retirement home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2018, 01:33 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,211,340 times
Quote:
I agree the info was useful. Thanks. There are many people starting out that can make use of this info and much of it could also be put to use in the kitchen. Posters offering info like this in one place make newbies life a lot easier.
Thanks. From time to time we get questions about how high to hang chandeliers. The info about rugs was good to.

And I liked the pics. I found them very pretty.

I also want to mention that an awful lot of our posters here really do live and like older homes, presumably with dining rooms or designated dining areas.

Old 04-14-2018, 06:06 AM

3,575 posts, read 2,204,053 times
I have a separate dining room and I love it. We also have a large kitchen where people will gather and sit and talk, but its not an open floor plan . I prefer separate rooms.

Old 04-14-2018, 03:21 PM

41,995 posts, read 75,295,700 times
I wouldn't want to be without a separate dining room. My kitchen is large enough for a table, and I have one there, but I much prefer to eat in the dining room - which is anything but formal. I keep the table set with my pretty Fiesta or other dishes; every time I walk through the room I smile (unless one of the cats has barfed under the table ... ).

Old 04-15-2018, 09:23 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,064,561 times
A separate dining room is a prerequisite for us in ANY home. Prior to buying this home, we tried to do the whole open concept, big bar, one dining area thing and UGH - it just didn't work for us. So when we began looking for another home, a separate dining room (in addition to a breakfast room/area in the kitchen) was an absolute must. And we got it.

We looked at a lot of homes from brand new to 100 years old and had no problem at all finding plenty of homes to look at that had formal, separate dining rooms, including TONS of new construction homes. So apparently there's still a lot of demand out there for separate and more formal dining spaces.

Old 04-18-2018, 10:41 AM

18,481 posts, read 31,678,189 times
about hanging chandeiers???? or any (hanging light fixture for that matter)

I know obviously it should hang in the center of the dining room table, but a relative of mine has the chandelier hanging "off center" thinking there was no choice, because thats where the electrical box is,

but i had "suggested" it swag it over to the right spot to make it hang center, usually by chain with the hook.

i know that doesnt always look the nicest, and it does make it look like the builder didn't know what he was doing, but Im assuming that in most cases the builders dimensions are pretty much accurate, it would depend if the homeowner has a larger or smaller table than usual.

if my memory serves me correct my relative has a larger table with leafs in it, I'm thinking that's why the light doesn't hang center.

So what does everyone think about my suggestion to "swag" it over to make it "center", or leave it as is with no swag but "not center".?????????????????????????

The picture enclosed is just a random picture I posted to get everyones feed back
Attached Thumbnails
Dining Room Rules-swag-over-light.jpg  

Old 04-18-2018, 12:44 PM

1,011 posts, read 978,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post

I know obviously it should hang in the center of the dining room table, but a relative of mine has the chandelier hanging "off center" thinking there was no choice, because thats where the electrical box is,

but i had "suggested" it swag it over to the right spot to make it hang center, usually by chain with the hook.

i know that doesnt always look the nicest, and it does make it look like the builder didn't know what he was doing, but Im assuming that in most cases the builders dimensions are pretty much accurate, it would depend if the homeowner has a larger or smaller table than usual.

if my memory serves me correct my relative has a larger table with leafs in it, I'm thinking that's why the light doesn't hang center.

So what does everyone think about my suggestion to "swag" it over to make it "center", or leave it as is with no swag but "not center".?????????????????????????

The picture enclosed is just a random picture I posted to get everyones feed back
Swag it.

Or better yet, hire electrician to move it center

Old 04-18-2018, 08:37 PM

993 posts, read 768,507 times
Quote:
Funny that you mention it KB, a formal dining room was a requirement for me in our retirement home. That said, not only did we rarely use the FD in our NY home, we use it about the same here. But when I want to have one, I am so glad I do, especially when we have a bunch of people over, it would be tough using our kitchen table that is round and seats 4. The table always has a nice centerpiece on it and if not a table cloth then a pretty table runner. I do know that many no longer share my feelings, but I think that will change back too.
I’m with you. We moved into our retirement home and one of the concessions I made was no formal dining room. Just a large eat in area in the kitchen. Oh I miss it! I didn’t use it often but a few times a year I loved using my mom's silver, crystal and China and having a formal dinners. I still could I suppose but we only have a round table that seats 6.

I need to buy an extension table eventually. I love our home but I sure do miss entertaining formally. I know, I know....it’s gone the way of the dodo bird.

Old 04-19-2018, 02:43 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,211,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post

We did that for awhile in another house. We ultimately had an electrician move the box to where we wanted it.

That is really the best solution. But people seem hesitant to find an electrician to do the work. So, swagging would be the second best solution, IMO.

Old 04-20-2018, 05:07 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,856,351 times
Our mid size dining room is connected to a larger L-shaped kitchen-family room by a small walk through hall/butler's pantry (cabinets, small fridge, bar sink, small appliances, liquor, etc). We like this setup.

We don't use the DR as much for 'entertaining' as in previous homes...BUT we sometimes use it for other special projects requiring reviewing, stacking, sorting, planning stuff etc....like taxes, inventory, or estate related work. Some of this may sit spread out for weeks. Our office/den is usually too cluttered with day-to-day stuff for the 'special' projects. The big DR table is convenient for the 'special use' stuff and easy enough to pick up to entertain. Occasionally we still just enjoy the DR and our nice dishes by our selves.

It is a luxury...but does have many special purposes that satisfy .

(BTW. the swag chandelier looked OK to me. A power strip cover that matches the ceiling color could also work..and just don't look up! If it really bothers you bite the bullet and seek a reasonable electrician or 'handyman'.)

BTW, we have dealt with ^%$&ty contractors too. There otta be a law
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating