Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2018, 01:36 PM

109 posts, read 136,209 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm curious what your suggestions might be here. We have recently purchased a home in the Southwest. We are anxious to put our touches on it as it has been neglected. The living room that has 14' walls and has large Vigas and tongue and groove ceilings. It's currently an off white and the first thing we will do is freshen up this room. We'd like to get a little more creative than another off white although it's not ugly in that color. I've has some experience doing faux and once used a chamois color base then a butterscotch over that and ragged it off. The walls came out looking like buckskin. I though of doing the same but due to the size of the walls it might be overwhelming. I've though of doing it as an accent wall or possibly 2 walls. What color suggestion would you make? We had thought to stay in a Southwestern color scheme but maybe some olive might mix in well and bring relief to the tans/brown. Any suggestions? Thank you!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2018, 07:16 PM

I might add that the room is on the North side of the home and has only one window that is on the West side so it's kind of dark.

Old 04-27-2018, 07:34 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
The height of the walls are not a concern- except for the actual painting.

Color on the other hand...

Pictures speak a thousand words! Theme? Decor choice? Furniture style and color? Flooring type and color?

And the list can go on an on- so yeah, there's a lot more to it than "what color?"!

Old 04-27-2018, 10:19 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Use the permanent features of the room to give you clues. You have wood or tile in it? Consider what colors look good with the colors of the permanent elements.

With lots of warm colors, you might consider cooler colors for walls. Keep in mind that many neutral colors cone in both warm and cool versions.

With a darker room, I think I’d stay lighter for the walls, but I don’t know why you could not do an accent wall, say around the fireplace.

I do not think that a large room with tall walls influences color per se but I don’t think you will want a dark or intense color on so much wall space

Since the room is darkish, you might check into having lights added into the ceiling. If you do this, be sure to choose your paint after they are installed.

Hope some of this is helpful to you.

Old 04-28-2018, 02:39 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,883,377 times
Photo please! And what theme do you want?

Old 04-29-2018, 11:03 AM

I'm sorry I tried to upload a photo but it won't attach.

Old 04-29-2018, 11:58 AM

Thank you all, I might have gotten a photo attached this time.

The room has a corner kiva fireplace, and the ceiling has vigas with a tongue and groove between them. The color of the ceiling is a butterscotch yellow with dark knots in the vigas and T&G. Window casing is all the same butterscotch yellow all wood as well as header.

Currently one strand of Track lighting with 3 heads in white as well as a ceiling fan in white. Both these we'll likely change out for copper, bronze or a wrought iron tone.

Current carpet is off white but will come out. The attached areas all have a dark sand color tile. I was considering a bright color patterned carpet (reds,olive green,gold) and a chamois or light olive on the walls. Walls would have one of the lesser colors of the carpet (not red).

The larger project will be to open the wall behind the sofa which will allow light and vision into the kitchen. My goal is either a Half Moon the same radius as the 2 entry ways into the living room or a rectangle with the header a viga stained to match the ones in the ceiling. The bottom of this cut out would be at countertop height from the kitchen to a bit above the sofa.

Thanks for the ideas.

Old 04-29-2018, 12:03 PM

18,528 posts, read 18,757,013 times
Id do the wall with the arch an earthy rust and the same with the back wall too at the fireplace to lead it through...what a great house.. love the lights. and go lighter again on other walls..

Old 04-29-2018, 02:08 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,883,377 times
The room is already beautiful. I would make the wall more creamy white and the ceiling darker stain for more visual contrast ( Spanish colonial style if you like that look)

Old 04-30-2018, 01:18 AM

3 posts, read 1,077 times
I also think that creamy white is a good idea. It makes it feel cozy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating