Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 01:10 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I'm imagining that if we were to combine her show with the Hoarders show.... we could not fit all the thanking and folding into an hour's episode.
Oh, I’m laughing my head off right now. I can picture Marie Kondo trying to meditate on a pile of cat ****, and having a nervous breakdown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2019, 02:30 PM

14,489 posts, read 12,121,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Oh, I’m laughing my head off right now. I can picture Marie Kondo trying to meditate on a pile of cat ****, and having a nervous breakdown.

I'm not sure she's ready for the kind of organization problem that requires a shovel. (Or a team of people with shovels)

Old 01-16-2019, 02:49 PM

37,618 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
There is minimalism (and I'm not a minimalist), and there is Marie Kondo. I think you have to be a very special personality type to live as she does. I read her book quite a while ago and don't have a copy to quote from, but the thing that got to me about her style was the "mindfulness." Now, mindfulness is good. But when it comes to the ritual of getting home from work, unpacking the purse, sorting and disposing of the day's mail, changing every clothing item and folding it and putting it away, putting the shoes away in a box under the bed, and all the while thanking every item for its service, every day, before doing anything else, that is too much for me.

Oh hell no. That ain’t happening in my house.

Old 01-16-2019, 02:52 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,705,166 times
I have rolled most of my clothing (or fold once and then roll) ever since doing that to put them in backpacks and duffels. They get fewer wrinkles than folding only.

But my socks and underwear drawers are a jumble, except that socks are paired and grouped with like socks (thick woolies together, for example).

Never thought there was a “method” associated with minimalism. I like the Rubbermaid stacking-bin method, thanks. It sure made moving easier going from our previous house to a rental before moving into our own house. I didn’t bother unpacking clothing, books, stereo components, CDs and DVDs, or anything else that could be accessed from their bins or boxes.

Old 01-17-2019, 12:07 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
I've been seeing a lot of articles lately about Kondo and "gender-bias", spats, divorces, etc. Seems she creates more "trouble" than harmony.

Old 01-17-2019, 01:08 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Default n=2 is not valid

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
I've been seeing a lot of articles lately about Kondo and "gender-bias", spats, divorces, etc. Seems she creates more "trouble" than harmony.
One click bait article
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...omestic-unrest

Another click bait article
https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...es/2570948002/

I think we need a larger sample size.

Old 01-17-2019, 02:40 PM

53 posts, read 24,493 times
I read her book a couple years ago. It appears it is most helpful for dealing with clothing and personal accessories. Beyond that, it falls apart pretty quickly. I do like her philosophy about caring for your belongings and regarding your possessions as an opportunity to evaluate what is important to you and your life.

However, what do you do with the stuff you no longer want or is no longer usable? How do you get rid of cleaning products, Styrofoam packaging, batteries, expired pharmaceuticals, electronics, broken appliances, fluorescent bulbs, unrecyclable plastics, etc.? That is the most draining, frustrating, time-consuming part of the process of getting rid of things - so much that most people (including recyclers) would rather throw everything in a landfill or export our waste to China and India.

Ironically, it is more mindful to keep all the things that don't "spark joy" if there is no conscionable way to dispose of it. We're responsible for what we have, even after it leaves our homes. We bought/received/created it, housed it, used it, perhaps abused it, and saying "thank you" just before it goes in the bin doesn't change that.

This is a glaring hole in the philosophy - but Kondo doesn't attempt to go deep into the psychosis of consumerism. She provides a surface treatment for the first world problem of being personally overwhelmed by a volume of stuff we don't need or even want. It is a baby step to ask people to consider carefully what they value and only bring things into their home if there is a place for it. I'd also add we should consider if there is a place for it after we're done with it.

It'd be great if a guru could give all the answers about how to deal with the physical and psychological trappings of extreme excess in wealthy nations, but unfortunately it must be a joint effort. It's rather paralyzing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post

as for folding clothes, she is a petite girl, her clothes are small and fabric is thin.
Im a middle age man with (thicker) socks, black, white, gray and of course dress socks, so only one drawer at 28" hold all the socks.

"I can wash out forty four pairs of socks and have 'em hangin' out on the line".............
----------------sorry, that popped into my head, lets see who "got that"

but, this chick had what? 6 pairs of sock, if that?
My partner has double the socks on the line - crew, wool, dress - then, about 60 undershirts and 40 boxer shorts. We fit them all into 2 1/2 dresser drawers at 28". Kondo's compact folding method isn't unique, but it is effective.

Old 01-17-2019, 07:28 PM

20,049 posts, read 20,861,844 times
The physical part of getting rid of stuff can be fairly easy. Sell, trash, donate, give away to friends/family, and trash.
The mental and emotional part is very difficult for most people. It was for me. Once you get past that, actually getting rid of the stuff is easy.
But, like a recovering addict, it can be struggle not having a relapse. Having a ton of stuff didn't make me happy long term. It was a rush at first, but many things, the luster wore off quick.
Now I appreciate everything I have because I only keep what is meaningful and necessary.
It feels really good and my quality of "life" has improved dramatically. That Kondo chick seems a little kooky.

Old 01-19-2019, 05:08 AM

4,725 posts, read 4,422,252 times
I read the book a few years ago and got a lot out of it. I am one who regularly does go through my clothing and at the time had a huge closet and i was working. I did have and still kept some items which I only wore maybe once or twice a year, as I did like to have a variety of clothing for work.
I do agree though when there are items that you force yourself to wear and never feel good wearing them- they need to go.

I haven't seen the netflix so I wonder how much more is shown.
I do think there is a lot of wisdom in her approach but then I also rejected her shtick of emptying the purse each day. I use the same purse for months or even year and do go through it but why empty and re-fill. For me makes zero sense.

The really hard part for me and most people I think is the photos and memorabilia.
Working on that

Old 01-21-2019, 03:56 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,534,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
And anyone who advises that you own no more than 30 books will never get me to take her seriously.
On one episode, he said she has about 30 books but I don't think she's ever suggested anyone else should limit their collection to that or any number. That wouldn't fit in with her philosophy at all.
She WOULD advise that you go through your books and discard/donate any that don't bring you "joy".

That's what she advised on the show, and that's what I did several years ago after reading her book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
The really hard part for me and most people I think is the photos and memorabilia.
Working on that
Once again, she suggests only that people go through and evaluate items in that category, one at a time. She doesn't say anyone should get rid of any sentimental items to which they're emotionally attached.

Last edited by biscuitmom; 01-21-2019 at 04:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating