Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 08:07 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,226,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
You would be surprised. If the trim is a cool white, then use a warmish white - it will absolutely make the trim pop. I've done it.
Thanks, but I love what I went with which was a very soft blue and wow, it did make that white trim pop!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2019, 10:46 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,292,384 times
Quote:
You would be surprised. If the trim is a cool white, then use a warmish white - it will absolutely make the trim pop. I've done it.
Yes, I agree, cream with a bright white trim can look amazing. But I'm not sure it would work as well with the darker wall color that draws the eye, and the more subtle contrast between white trim and a cream ceiling wouldn't stand out the way it does in a room with cream walls and white trim.

Old 04-20-2019, 03:30 PM

37,742 posts, read 46,199,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Yes, I agree, cream with a bright white trim can look amazing. But I'm not sure it would work as well with the darker wall color that draws the eye, and the more subtle contrast between white trim and a cream ceiling wouldn't stand out the way it does in a room with cream walls and white trim.
Oh I’m not even talking about “cream”. I’m talking about WHITE. Just a warmer white than the trim. It does not take much difference in color to see it when you put them next to each other. While I do not like colored ceilings, I understand that some do, so I am not trying to argue against a colored ceiling. I was just stating for those that were not aware, you could have a “white on white” look, and have that trim still pop.

Old 04-21-2019, 09:10 AM

18,507 posts, read 31,734,189 times
Quote:
Oh I’m not even talking about “cream”. I’m talking about WHITE. Just a warmer white than the trim. It does not take much difference in color to see it when you put them next to each other. While I do not like colored ceilings, I understand that some do, so I am not trying to argue against a colored ceiling. I was just stating for those that were not aware, you could have a “white on white” look, and have that trim still pop.

I didnt know that, I thought white was white, and no different white shade, becasue then you start with the off whites, which then is not white.

learn something every day.

Old 04-21-2019, 05:57 PM

37,742 posts, read 46,199,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I didnt know that, I thought white was white, and no different white shade, becasue then you start with the off whites, which then is not white.

learn something every day.
Nope. Go into to any Benjamin Moore store and asked to look at their white paint colors. I believe they have something like 152. There are all sorts of whites, and if you hold them alone, you would swear it was a pure white. That is, until you start placing them next to each other. So yes, you learn something new every day.

Old 04-22-2019, 06:18 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,226,564 times
Yes, there are all different shades of "white." There are also all different sorts of colors that AREN'T any shade of "white" that can look great on a ceiling.

When I painted my ceilings recently, I nearly had a nervous breakdown (OK, not really but it was nerve wracking) when I was trying to pick the color. My walls are a rich honey tan, and my trim is a warm but bright white and there's a lot of it, the ceilings are tall, and we get a lot of natural light (which is why I could do the deep color on the walls). The original ceilings were a soft grayish white, and in fact, that is still the color in one main room in my house that is separate from the others. It's not bad, but here was my chance - men on scaffolds and ladders painting, the whole front of the house in an uproar - it's now or never because I'm sure not going to do it! So I went paint shopping.

I ended up choosing a very pale blue. OH MY GOSH IT LOOKS GREAT. I didn't want it to stand out or scream HEY, I'M A BLUE CEILING! But I just couldn't get excited about a white ceiling. Honestly, I feel like ceilings are the fifth wall, and are often overlooked or just vaguely pleasant when they could be fabulous.

The light blue feels like the sky. It makes my already tall ceilings soar. But it doesn't jump out as blueblueblueblueblue. I wanted something that didn't take away from the rest of the rooms, or compete with the decor of the rooms, but which breathed air into it and made the trim really stand out - and it really does that.

In the process, I learned a LOT about ceilings, which to be honest I had never thought much about. I also learned that there are no hard and fast rules.

An aside note, about really dark paint colors. Like I said, I have tall ceilings and a lot of natural light so I think I can get away with darker colors. I have a little tiny hall with an archway, going from the living room to the master bedroom area. There's room in that very tall, skinny hall with the archway for a crescent shaped table and an oval mirror above it. So I chose a hanging pendant light that casts a cool light pattern (rounded and sparkly), and then I painted the walls a VERY dark blue. WOW. Instead of looking tiny and dark like it might seem like it would, that whole space opens up and instead looks like it's bigger. It's like the walls recede into infinity.

My house is full of very warm colors and lots of it, but a theme that runs through the entire house, inside and out, is blue accents. I also have a lot of overhanging porch areas outside and all those ceilings are blue. And I have a peacock blue front door. Actually all my exterior doors are painted this same blue. Blue Polish pottery is displayed in my kitchen.

I think it's very cohesive to have a unifying color throughout the house. By that I mean touches of the color throughout.

Old 04-22-2019, 10:31 AM

18,507 posts, read 31,734,189 times
Thats the good thing about choice and all of the choices (well, maybe not, as we can pull our hair out).

White ceilings look good in thier settings, the blue ceilings look great in their setting, and my blushish ceilings look pretty (to me, anyway) in my setting with gold walls in living room, and moss green in the bedroom.

I have no white anywhere so the blushish creamy color (whatever color is was called) looks soft and warm, as opposed to a stark white ceiling in my home which would look out of place.

I did have a friend years ago that i remember now had extremelly tall ceilings back in her bedroom, and if i can remember correctly, and she tried to make them come down a bit, if that makes sense, and painted them a dark plum color. I do remember that now, and i also think there were 2 sklylights, but there were no bedroom windows.
I remember not liking the room and thought fire hazzard, but the ceilings was purple.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating