Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 07:15 AM

37,618 posts, read 46,016,337 times

Advertisements

I guess that is totally a matter of opinion. Wood tones are definitely warm, and gray tones are definitely cool. Most people, I think, do not care to see warm and cool tones together, they simply clash. But, if you like it, it’s your house. That said, there are definitely flooring tiles that have a gray-ish brown tone, and I think they would look fine and blend with either color. The floor you picked though, it’s really warm. And dark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2019, 07:20 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,317,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickandiron View Post
I think the floors will look fine with the Dovetail cabinets, but I’d go with a light colored counter and wall. Tones of brown and grey on a pale surface could tie things together. Like this: https://m.lowes.com/pd/Formica-Brand...Sample/3657412
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
It’s a long story, but I had to remove the cabinets to replace the drywall behind them. So after reinstalling them had I had to redo the upper part with new material. This is why I’m forced to paint them. They were also so dirty that I removed some of the stain while cleaning them.
Thank you for that, I appreciate it and honestly it looks to me like it could turn out far better than you imagine...good luck, sincerely. Also, I do like the opinion of brickandiron because there does not seem to be any garish color schemes in your plans.

Old 04-15-2019, 10:15 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,628,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I guess that is totally a matter of opinion. Wood tones are definitely warm, and gray tones are definitely cool. Most people, I think, do not care to see warm and cool tones together, they simply clash. But, if you like it, it’s your house. That said, there are definitely flooring tiles that have a gray-ish brown tone, and I think they would look fine and blend with either color. The floor you picked though, it’s really warm. And dark.
The Dovetail doesn’t look like a cold shade of gray to me though, it has a hint of tan and even slight bit of green to it.

Old 04-15-2019, 10:58 AM

805 posts, read 524,873 times
Quote:
The Dovetail doesn’t look like a cold shade of gray to me though, it has a hint of tan and even slight bit of green to it.
It looks warmish to me, too. It looks great with dark wood floors in the photos.

There are many tones of grey and brown. Some clash, but others complement each other. A balance of warm and cool in a room adds interest and makes it more inviting.

Since you already have the floors installed, I’d bring in a sample of the grey and see how you like them next to each other. I do think cream cabinets would look gorgeous.

Old 04-15-2019, 01:13 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,173,318 times
With counters, your choices will be narrowed by your choice of materials. I recommend deciding that first, and then choosing colors of cabs and counters together.

I do not see anything wrong with using gray with wood toned floors.

Old 04-15-2019, 02:29 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,273,026 times
I would agree that the wood floor and gray cabinets looks fine. I would also agree that you need to go with white or very light-colored countertops.

Old 04-15-2019, 06:24 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,628,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
With counters, your choices will be narrowed by your choice of materials. I recommend deciding that first, and then choosing colors of cabs and counters together.

I do not see anything wrong with using gray with wood toned floors.
Definitely laminate. This house is one I’m going to flip in a working class neighborhood, something like granite would be overkill I think.

Old 04-16-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Definitely laminate. This house is one I’m going to flip in a working class neighborhood, something like granite would be overkill I think.
Then you have many choices. I am going to disagree with other posters about choosing light colored laminate. Lighter colors are easier to stain, in my experience. If you paint the cabs a warm white you could choose a dove gray for the counters. Personally, I would not want gray cabs and white counters.

Old 04-16-2019, 05:25 PM

37,618 posts, read 46,016,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Then you have many choices. I am going to disagree with other posters about choosing light colored laminate. Lighter colors are easier to stain, in my experience. If you paint the cabs a warm white you could choose a dove gray for the counters. Personally, I would not want gray cabs and white counters.
My old Formica counter was white with a pale pattern. 25 years old and nothing could stain it.

Old 04-18-2019, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
My old Formica counter was white with a pale pattern. 25 years old and nothing could stain it.
Your experience is definitely different than mine!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating